In between flexes.

thehackingmurse

@mursesunited
Reaction score
Didn't know if anyone had a similar situation. Curious to see which direction people went to.

Basically got fitted into a regular flex diamana shaft for my sim driver. Over the past couple of weeks I've been making some progress with my swing with lessons and the super speed system. Last lesson my coach told me I was going to eventually swing out of shaft flex. I'm swinging at 93-95 mph. Not very fast but way better than the 82-84 I started at.

I feel like I'm still not fast enough for a stiff shaft but I trust my coach just curious if I should just change now and work up to it or wait till I get to a point where my measurements match the shaft profile? My trial period for my Sim ends in a couple of days so I should be able to switch out now at no additional cost.

Thanks

Sent from my HD1925 using Tapatalk

Didn't know if anyone had a similar situation. Curious to see which direction people went to.

Basically got fitted into a regular flex diamana shaft for my sim driver. Over the past couple of weeks I've been making some progress with my swing with lessons and the super speed system. Last lesson my coach told me I was going to eventually swing out of shaft flex. I'm swinging at 93-95 mph. Not very fast but way better than the 82-84 I started at.

I feel like I'm still not fast enough for a stiff shaft but I trust my coach just curious if I should just change now and work up to it or wait till I get to a point where my measurements match the shaft profile? My trial period for my Sim ends in a couple of days so I should be able to switch out now at no additional cost.

Thanks

Not all shafts are created equal so I would suggest getting fit. There is so much more than just the flex. To answer your question directly, they could take a regular shaft and trim the tip end to make it play stiffer (between regular and stiff). The thing is, with hundreds of shafts with different properties a good fitter should be able to fit you into one that optimizes your launch and spin.

I'd never change in anticipation of presumed results. R-flex could be just fine for even faster swings provided a smooth transition. If shots were to become erratic, then I'd test out a stronger flex.

I actually experience similar because when coming back from an injury, sometimes a softer flex works best for me (if I have appropriate clubs/shafts on hand). But when I get healthier, my speed ramps up.

Every time though, I wait for results to dictate my move up in flex. Works for me, anyway.

Not all shafts are created equal so I would suggest getting fit. There is so much more than just the flex. To answer your question directly, they could take a regular shaft and trim the tip end to make it play stiffer (between regular and stiff). The thing is, with hundreds of shafts with different properties a good fitter should be able to fit you into one that optimizes your launch and spin.
I was fitted into the diamana in a regular flex. Tried a bunch with my coach who is a fitter and the diamana was still the best shaft out of the taylormade no upcharge offerings so he said I should just go back and see if they'll swap out the shaft to a stiff flex given it's still in my return window.

Just wondering if anyone had been in between flexes and what made them gravitate towards going softer or stiffer. Distance, dispersion, etc.

I'd never change in anticipation of presumed results. R-flex could be just fine for even faster swings provided a smooth transition. If shots were to become erratic, then I'd test out a stronger flex.

I actually experience similar because when coming back from an injury, sometimes a softer flex works best for me (if I have appropriate clubs/shafts on hand). But when I get healthier, my speed ramps up.

Every time though, I wait for results to dictate my move up in flex. Works for me, anyway.
Yeah my dispersion was much tighter with the stiff flex but I couldn't draw the ball but it did eliminate my big hook miss. I guess it's nice to eliminate that shot and maybe just use my mini driver for when I need to draw it.

Yeah my dispersion was much tighter with the stiff flex but I couldn't draw the ball but it did eliminate my big hook miss. I guess it's nice to eliminate that shot and maybe just use my mini driver for when I need to draw it.

All about personal comfort level. There may come a time when you prefer that increased accuracy over calling upon a particular shot.

I just try to guard against impressions of any prescribed flex because the marking on a shaft means nothing, only results matter.

Rick Shiels, for example, did a blind shaft test a while back. He wasn't way off in his guesses, if memory serves, but things weren't as clear-cut as one may imagine.

His surprising results may be an issue of quality control with that batch or particular company or perhaps unregulated variations industry wide. Or that maybe we all just put too much thought into it. I know that I'm guilty of that.

Dispersion and eliminating a hook might get your scored lower. Depends of you want to hit draws or if the other two components will ultimately leave you in better spots which might help your rounds. Ultimately whatever allows you to have fun and hit more shots.

Seems like the tighter dispersion and swing speed trainer might push toward stiff.

R will be longer less tame S will be shorter more tame......there are shafts which are built for the tweeners. Honma makes a Vizard shaft that comes in R SR and S The SR is for the tweener of R and S......With the massive array of shaft choices, I'm sure there is one that fits. I have your swing speed. I use an Evenflow 5.5 55gram and I love it. with an Epic Flash.

I agree with the guys above. I would not change just because my swing speed is higher. If the shots are getting worse (bad dispersion or ball flight) then I would get fit again and make sure the next shaft was optimized for my swing.

My swing speed is 95-98 and still play regular flex all the way thru all clubs with no issues. Get fit before changing.

R will be longer less tame S will be shorter more tame......there are shafts which are built for the tweeners. Honma makes a Vizard shaft that comes in R SR and S The SR is for the tweener of R and S......With the massive array of shaft choices, I'm sure there is one that fits. I have your swing speed. I use an Evenflow 5.5 55gram and I love it. with an Epic Flash.
Was going to say the same. Some brands are coming out with tweener shafts. But again not all shafts are created equal. It's purely a comfort standpoint for me.

I keep going back to what the Titleist fitter told me. The flex you should be playing is much more than just swing speed. For example, a golfer with a slower swing speed who is aggressive in transition could need a stiffer flex. I can't stress more that I would get fit if possible otherwise you might end up with a stiff flex shaft that performs worse

My swing speed is 95-98 and still play regular flex all the way thru all clubs with no issues. Get fit before changing.

same same...I can get into the 100-101 range but 96.875% of the time, i'm 97-98...my "fitter" put me in stiffs...seems to work.

I have similar swing speed although when im loose and swinging well probably 100-102 average with driver. Play a stiff shaft in my driver 3 wood and regular in my hybrid and irons. Tried a regular shaft in my driver and didnt feel riight. Went with regular shafts in the Apex 19 last season (after always playing stiff) and way better feel , performance and results. Play the Atmos Blue tour spec in stiff and love the feel and performance in my driver.

I was fitted into the diamana in a regular flex. Tried a bunch with my coach who is a fitter and the diamana was still the best shaft out of the taylormade no upcharge offerings so he said I should just go back and see if they'll swap out the shaft to a stiff flex given it's still in my return window.

Just wondering if anyone had been in between flexes and what made them gravitate towards going softer or stiffer. Distance, dispersion, etc.

You can typically find a shaft to change on eBay or here when the day comes. And if you gain another 10 mph, your fit might be very different

I keep going back to what the Titleist fitter told me. The flex you should be playing is much more than just swing speed. For example, a golfer with a slower swing speed who is aggressive in transition could need a stiffer flex. I can't stress more that I would get fit if possible otherwise you might end up with a stiff flex shaft that performs worse

This is a good point. I'm about 100mph with the driver, and I've had success playing a R-flex shaft (in a bit higher weight) because I play best when I swing smoothly. Now, I usually end up in S just because, well, that smooth swing doesn't always show up...

But I do tend to see more success dropping down a flex in the irons.

For what it’s worth, I think your coach is talking a load of old bollocks. I could play probably any flex and it wouldn’t make that much difference. My swing is 94 to 95 and my latest fitting put me into a stiff flex. I saw pretty much no difference between the regular or stiff shaft. The feel may marginally have been better with the stiff shaft, but as I saw little to no difference, I went with the fitters recommendation.

There is advice out there that says to play the softest flex you can control. I personally follow that advice. :)

Thanks

I am in the same boat - swinging 91-96 in an R flex shaft. Look at your numbers. If spin, launch, dispersion, etc. are working, then it works. Flex is all over the place depending on the shaft company. I now have a TPT Golf shaft and my instructor just says - flex doesn't matter, look at the numbers and dispersion.

Thanks for the help all. I'm headed back into my fitter Wednesday to try both shafts again and make a decision.

Back