Iron/wedge shaft weight

Templet0n

washed...
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
snow..
Does it matter? I admit to having preconceived notions of what is important and why. I don’t know if they are correct. I have always thought I needed heavier shafts. In the 125-130+ range. And have never tried anything lighter.

Do you think about shaft weight? Do you care? What weight do you play? Why?

I care. It matters. I currently play 120g shafts in my irons and 127g in my wedges. Those aren't absolute numbers or anything. There's a range with both of them that I can play pretty well. I get optimizer and suggested towards heavier stuff sometimes, but don't really have the desire for it. I hit a little lighter stuff fairly often and have played a good amount of 110-115, but have run into inconsistent or less desired results lately.

I play the weight I do because it's the lightest I've found that let's me do the things I want to do based on those experiences. I'd like others to work. That's why I hit other stuff when I can. See where things are at. Like trying a food you maybe didn't like in the past. I haven't found anything recently in a little different weight that I play as well though.

I've been pounding just about any graphite I can get my hands on lately too but the ones that have gone well have been 120-5g with those too. 🤷‍♂️

I think it matters. Jose from Cobra says go slightly up in weight as you go through the bag. Driver should be your lightest shaft & wedges should be the heaviest.

Over the last ten years I have gone from 90 gram to 100g to 110g to 120gram iron shafts. All KBS models and I have had better results with the heavier shafts.

It took me a while but i have been using 100g shafts for about 4 years now and love them. Could very much be related to feel and not data.

Absolutely matters. It can impact timing and overall swing speed, and ultimately because of that - just about everything. Finding your optimal shaft weight can make a huge difference. I’ve always liked my irons to be about 110-115 and my wedges to be 120-125.

I am going to talk with TK at Edison about this. I have always just played stock shafts in my wedges which I think are 110g steel. Right now I am playing 95g shafts in my irons so it will be interesting to get his perspective. Edison offers 100g PGI in the wedges which I am interested in trying.

Weight matters. I have gamed 110g 115g 120g and even 125g and Now rocking 105g. Heavier has been better for me typically but as I’ve gotten older lighter seems to be the answer, it lets my body work the way I want it to without the stress of the heavier weight. 10-15g doesn’t seem like much but it’s noticeable. I also think the style of head plays a role in the right weight as well

Swing weight matters more for me. If the swing weight is where I need it, and I can feel the club head, then I can play 85 all the way up to 130

I haven't thought much about wedge shaft weight in the past. I've heard the common theory that you should play heavier shafts than your irons so I always did. My swing causes a lot of fitters to immediately jump to the heaviest shafts available, not due to speed but transition. I've always preferred the lighter shafts and played my best golf with lightweight shafts. I never knew why until I bought my new wedges with 80g shafts installed. With a heavier club, I feel like I have more of a hit impulse because I have to try to start it faster. With a lighter club, I feel like I can swing the club and everything sorts itself out. Knowing the reasoning you'd think I could control it, but I can't control it consistently. That hit impulse appears out of nowhere. So I'm playing 110g iron shafts and 80g wedge shafts. I'm considering lighter iron shafts but I like the 80g in my wedges. I'll probably break away from common thinking and play 85-95 gram iron shafts and 80g wedge shafts next year.

I’ve been testing lighter weight shafts in irons and still end up going back to my 120 gram KBS Tour in everything. I just don’t strike the ball as well with anything in the 100 gram range. I had decent success with the Accra Steel at 115, but the weight difference was so small I went back to the KBS because I know exactly what it does.

I went down in weight in the woods four years ago and found much quicker comfort and success doing that than I have with iron shaft weight.

I am going 100g PGI shafts in my Edison wedges and I have been using 110g steel shafts in my wedges. My irons right now have Steelfiber i95s in them. I am interested to see how they work.

Back