Knee Replacement Golfers

8 iron is my 130-135 club. Hit it this morning decent strikes were about 133 i did not feel like i was trying to over swing pushed a few flubbed/fatted a few. Felt like my swing indoor/garage was about 80-85%. No pain in the knee. But again gets stiff pretty quickly.

Work in progress.

Last edited:
Sounds like things are coming along well and you are building confidence in the knee. You'll have swelling for a while, elevation and ice will help that. Keep swinging!
I read earlier today you have a trip coming up to Harbour Town on Hilton Head. You’ll have fun! Wife and I have a trip planned there early May and she found me a golf package with unlimited play at 6 different courses. Unfortunately none in Sea Pines area, but that’s okay. Have fun!

Sounds like things are coming along well and you are building confidence in the knee. You'll have swelling for a while, elevation and ice will help that. Keep swinging!
I read earlier today you have a trip coming up to Harbour Town on Hilton Head. You’ll have fun! Wife and I have a trip planned there early May and she found me a golf package with unlimited play at 6 different courses. Unfortunately none in Sea Pines area, but that’s okay. Have fun!
Your trip sounds great. Ours is to see family, watch the golf, and fingers crossed, play a round.

Thanks. Ice and elevation, parts of my daily routine!

Update time.

Are you sitting down? I booked a tee time for Monday April 1. - Riding, hope to walk by end of April - may be very wishful thinking.

So, started leg strengthening at PT last week - F@CK that brings the pain and starting last Friday to now a bit more swelling and considerably more pain. Sleep is hit still hit or miss, has been a big miss lately. But, had my 2 month MD visit today, she put me a 6 day Prednisone to relieve the swelling, said to maybe ease back a bit on the strengthening, maybe ease into it a bit. And take Magnesium and Tylenol PM before bed - and, for that matter try to stay up a bit later too. See how that flies.

I have been freed to drive - will test that out tomorrow, she said, go to a parking lot and jam on the brakes that's the test, can I hold that if so, good, if not wait a few days and try again.

And, cleared to return to work on 22 April - to what I have no idea, but I will be back in the saddle then.

Now to get in all the golf my knee and wife will let me get. This gives me hope in case I am selected in some later season event - that I will be able to play and not just take up space.

Stay well everyone.

Downside to all of this no more running, not that I “ran,” I jog. I would do the Turkey trot and the bridge run, which is April 6 this year. No place to quit/turn back (etc) if i can’t do the full 10k walking. So this year, I’ll hang out at the end see my wife and daughter and join them about 1.5 miles out of all goes well. I may jog the 5k Turkey trot. How bad can that be once a year.

Update time.

Are you sitting down? I booked a tee time for Monday April 1. - Riding, hope to walk by end of April - may be very wishful thinking.

So, started leg strengthening at PT last week - F@CK that brings the pain and starting last Friday to now a bit more swelling and considerably more pain. Sleep is hit still hit or miss, has been a big miss lately. But, had my 2 month MD visit today, she put me a 6 day Prednisone to relieve the swelling, said to maybe ease back a bit on the strengthening, maybe ease into it a bit. And take Magnesium and Tylenol PM before bed - and, for that matter try to stay up a bit later too. See how that flies.

I have been freed to drive - will test that out tomorrow, she said, go to a parking lot and jam on the brakes that's the test, can I hold that if so, good, if not wait a few days and try again.

And, cleared to return to work on 22 April - to what I have no idea, but I will be back in the saddle then.

Now to get in all the golf my knee and wife will let me get. This gives me hope in case I am selected in some later season event - that I will be able to play and not just take up space.

Stay well everyone.
That is outstanding news. Way to go JW! You are on your way. Still some pain ahead but it will get easier and keep the ice handy. Come the end of this year you will look back and say "yeah I did that" wow. (y) :D

Played Monday - call me shocked. I tried to not hold back - tried to play with no fear/no concerns. I was shocked. Now the final number (I will not share) was not great. But, I had 8 pars or bogies, 1 double (and it was a three putt - my only one on the day - with 5 yes 5 one putts). And 9 others. Of the nine others, I had at least 5 penalty balls - I was pushing my drives.

Now here's the thing, I think I was 'Schefflering' the trail (right) leg/foot and I had 2 or 3 drives that were as good as any I have had on this course - ever. I was not trying to do that, and I am not sure I did - but it may be a good thing.

Down side, blew out out the right wrist - it's much better today, and I may try to hit the new driver into a net in the garage - but I may also just wait till next week.

Fun times, 60 days almost to the day of surgery. Oh, and I played the whites I only this as 2 members in my group played the senior tees and honestly I had planned to move up on the back nine - no need.

Edit: next goal is walking 18 by end of April - to Mid May.

I do walk the dog about 3/4 mile nearly every day - and still have PT 2 times a week.

Played Monday - call me shocked. I tried to not hold back - tried to play with no fear/no concerns. I was shocked. Now the final number (I will not share) was not great. But, I had 8 pars or bogies, 1 double (and it was a three putt - my only one on the day - with 5 yes 5 one putts). And 9 others. Of the nine others, I had at least 5 penalty balls - I was pushing my drives.

Now here's the thing, I think I was 'Schefflering' the trail (right) leg/foot and I had 2 or 3 drives that were as good as any I have had on this course - ever. I was not trying to do that, and I am not sure I did - but it may be a good thing.

Down side, blew out out the right wrist - it's much better today, and I may try to hit the new driver into a net in the garage - but I may also just wait till next week.

Fun times, 60 days almost to the day of surgery. Oh, and I played the whites I only this as 2 members in my group played the senior tees and honestly I had planned to move up on the back nine - no need.

Edit: next goal is walking 18 by end of April - to Mid May.

I do walk the dog about 3/4 mile nearly every day - and still have PT 2 times a week.
well done. Cheers JW 🥃

Well, wrist is feeling better. Mowed the tiny lawn and trimmed about 15 bushes on Saturday. Oh and moved a packed 100lbs of garden fountain on a hand truck as well.

Playing golf Wednesday with new wedges and new driver. Excited.

Goal now is walking on/around my birthday end of May.

Exactly 10 weeks from surgery. Played golf today, soooo pleasantly surprised - no pain in my knee at all now, though I am now resting will shower and ice up later it is a bit tender and stiff - and will be sore going upstairs.

The recap - the day started much like last week - triple double, so 2 holes in +5. Well after that I adjusted (I guess) as I played 13 of the next 16 holes with pars or bogies. Only 2 penalties all day. If you had told me I would have a round in the 80s at 10 weeks, I would have taken a bet on that.

After 2 plus 5, the remaining 16, plus 11, including 3 doubles. Yes, I am pretty happy with today's round.

If you need a knee replacement, do not fear, yes, it's gonna hurt and some days PT just sucks, but here I am 10 weeks out - playing golf, doing yard work (last weekend), and in fact yesterday more yard work mulching and moving some rocks around for a fountain.

Life is
Curb Your Enthusiasm Jewish GIF

Gives me lots of confidence surgery May7or 14
That’s great. 2-3 weeks of not being happy Ana few more being so-so then mostly just tired sore and occasional doing too much and it beats the alternative of just pain.

In fact I’m playing again tomorrow and giddy at the chance.

Exactly 10 weeks from surgery. Played golf today, soooo pleasantly surprised - no pain in my knee at all now, though I am now resting will shower and ice up later it is a bit tender and stiff - and will be sore going upstairs.
It was a little under 10-weeks when I was back to playing a round of golf, chipping and putting much sooner than that. I could have played sooner, but my surgeon wouldn't give me the 'OK' out of concern for me falling, tripping getting in or out of a bunker, slipping on wet grass, etc. It had nothing to do with the act of swinging a club doing any damage.

Be careful out there!

Wanted to run one more post here, not sure if I will add more unless something 'eventful' happens.

I have golfed, with a cart 4 times, and in fact, going out today as well. Still riding, but every day, getting better. Tomorrow may be my last PT session, if it's not there will surely not be more than a few more. I still have some minor pain turning my knee (big turn), like pulling your knee up to put on socks - and holding it, and going up or down steps - none of these are debilitating, they don't keep me up at night, I do still have some sleep trouble but I think that's me and my racing brain more than my knee. As it stands if PT does end this week, I plan to hit the gym 2 -3 days a week beginning next week and become friends with the elliptical vice the treadmill and with the stairmasters too. The only negative I have from all this is no more jogging/running. I can deal with it, but it was something I liked doing.

I hope that others can gain some benefit or more knowledge from the contents of this (and other) threads - thanks to all who have posted and included their details.

Oh, if all continues to go well, I hope to walk in my golfing, around the end of May, I will post back when that happens and how it goes. I know I can do that now, but I need to build up more stamina before I do.

Wanted to run one more post here, not sure if I will add more unless something 'eventful' happens.

I have golfed, with a cart 4 times, and in fact, going out today as well. Still riding, but every day, getting better. Tomorrow may be my last PT session, if it's not there will surely not be more than a few more. I still have some minor pain turning my knee (big turn), like pulling your knee up to put on socks - and holding it, and going up or down steps - none of these are debilitating, they don't keep me up at night, I do still have some sleep trouble but I think that's me and my racing brain more than my knee. As it stands if PT does end this week, I plan to hit the gym 2 -3 days a week beginning next week and become friends with the elliptical vice the treadmill and with the stairmasters too. The only negative I have from all this is no more jogging/running. I can deal with it, but it was something I liked doing.

I hope that others can gain some benefit or more knowledge from the contents of this (and other) threads - thanks to all who have posted and included their details.

Oh, if all continues to go well, I hope to walk in my golfing, around the end of May, I will post back when that happens and how it goes. I know I can do that now, but I need to build up more stamina before I do.
Keep pulling the knee up and holding. Anything that helps scar tissue from creeping in. At one point I started to squat while holding onto something for balance (inside in the house like a door jam)
So great the progress you have made. There will be some soreness and swelling the first few months but that will subside in time. My double replacement will be 9 years in June---life changer. No pain and no swelling for the last 8 years. good luck JW.

Great progress congrats 👏 🙌 👍

Thanks for all your info JW Smove and everyone else I am getting my surgery May 14 .Will pass on how it goes .

Back