La Tourette - Staten Island, NY

knuckles

Reaction score
Handicap
La Tourette is a public course in Staten Island and the first thing that stood out to me is that there are players on the golf course with tank tops and basketball shorts. This is because of the insane discount for those students in Staten Island.

After getting past my initial reaction, I thoroughly enjoyed the course for a municiple course. There are many hills and elevation changes that lead to interesting lies.

PROS:
Well Maintained Greens (except 3rd hole)
Great staff and personnel
Interesting hills causing challenging lies even on the fairway

Cons:
Short Course
Not that formal
Slow rounds (nobody maintaining pace of play)

Was thinking of playing there but Staten Island is a b*itch to get to and I don't have a carry permit. :act-up:

I play this course close to once a week. I agree that the greens are well kept but at times are very inconsistent.

The bottlenecks happen around hole 3 and 10. Hole 3 is short a par 3 uphill with a water hazard at the base of the hill. Most of the time you will see the players in front of you utilizing the drop zone next to the green which causes the delays.

The course is very sporadic with keeping up the pace of play. Last weekend I was able to play the course in under 4 hours (Saturday morning) but two weekends ago I played 14 holes in close to 5 (Sunday around 1030 am tee time) and ended up just leaving.

All in all its a well maintained course with friendly staff. Good course to work the kinks out if you're in a bit of a slump.

Back