Lag and transition/ball position

theslflash689

Reaction score
Handicap
GHIN 5.3
Quick question, is it possible for someone to have better lag by having a quicker transition in order to not allow the hands to cast before they hit the ball? Also, I find that off the tee, my iron shots tend to be fat the more I move the ball back in my stance. I don't sway, and I stay on top of the ball. My biggest problem is unloading way to early in my swing. Thanks!

Thanks for your question. In my experience just because you have a quicker transition won't eliminate a casting move. First thing I look at for someone cast the club is how their body is moving on the downswing. Generally, someone who casts will not have very much lower body turn on the downswing. So, I would work on turning just the lower body on the downswing and feeling like the upper body doesn't do anything. Try swings where you keep your back to the target as your hips start turning. Do this with slow swings first and no ball, then work back to full speed and a ball.

One more drills that focus more on holding the angle (lag) on the downswing is a business card drill. Put a business card directly in front of the golf ball and your goal in this drill is to move the business card. This will put your focus in front of the ball and you will only be able to properly move the business card by holding the angle longer.

Give these drills a try and feel free to post a video if you want me to look at your swing.

Josh Miller
PGA Certified Professional
GolfTEC - Golden, CO

I'd add that ball position too far back will indeed lead to fat and flippy contact because your hands have to release earlier to hit the ball. Try a middle to just slightly in front of middle ball position for a while until you have a consistent impact position, then you can move it back a little bit to hit lower shots. I've learned from experience that putting the ball back in your stance to "fix" fat shots and poor contact will only make things worse over time as far as trying to combat an early release.

Back