Lessons - Winter or Summer?

arwin

Reaction score
So with the fall approaching I'm starting to think about using some of my lessons from the package I have with GolfTec.
I'm sitting here and I'm thinking that I'm kind of weird that when the fall and winter approaches, that this is when I want to have my lessons.

The reason that I like to have my lessons in the fall/winter is because I just like to play golf in the summer and not really focus on swing changes. In the winter, I can't really go out for a round with the snow, but I can take in some new information and practice with my mat and net at home to groove in the new swing changes and hopefully when they spring comes, it'll all be natural.

How about you? Do you like your lessons in the summer or the winter?

I see no problem in your logic as long as you have somewhere to swing in the winter to practice the swing changes and commit them to muscle memory. I have had lessons in winter and summer, well all year round. When I feel I am in need I go in for one.

I like lessons in the summer as I can put them into play right away, but I always know I have more time open in the winter to put in the work, just could never pull the trigger on a package or set of lessons during then.

Looking to sign up for some lessons this winter as well. For me I think this is a better time because like you it will be easier to focus on any changes opposed to just going out and playing.

I like lessons in late spring after I've had a handful or so rounds under my belt to shake the winter rust off. Ideally I would get a few additional lessons scattered throughout the season, with sufficient time between sessions to work on things, but I've not done that in a while. Maybe next season...

I am a massive fan of winter lessons:
1) You hit the playing season in full stride
2) You often get more time with your instructor because most people put the clubs away for the winter
3) The range and course are usually wide open (same reason as #2)
4) I have limited time. It isn't always practical to think I can take lessons, be at the range and play golf during the summer.

Last winter was the first time in maybe 4 seasons that I didn't do lessons. My game was sh@t this season. Maybe it was a coincidence but I'm not taking that change again.

Winter for a swing change.

Summer for tweaks, course management etc.

What this guy said ☝️although not having an outdoor range could impact what type of swing changes your making unless your instructor has an indoor range and flightscope.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I prefer winter for serious swing changes. Gives you some time to get used to it. Summer lessons for me a just a tuneup if I notice something a bit off.

I am a spring lesson person. I like to get a few rounds under my belt to shake the rust off and then get a few tuneup lessons. I like to actually get to the course to hit balls instead of just a net

I took some GolfTec packages this winter and it worked very well so far. We did a pretty decent bit of swing changes, but by time Spring came I had enough to take out to the course and get feedback on.
Now I am tweaking and able to move on to short game this fall/winter.

There are swng mechanics that can be practiced without hitting but when wants t hit imo there is no substitute for seeing the results at least on a sim. Hitting into a net and doing it often one may actually be way off because we don't really know where the ball went and one may be practicing and repeating to memorize a flawed result only to be discovered when returning to the course.

I like the idea of winter lessons but at least must contain sims to then view practice results to avoid the above. For me that gets expensive to keep doing it. The golf wallet (disposable income) gets a break imo during winter for me. But if one has no issue in the financial department then all the power to ya and absolutely winter leessons and practice is great to do. I did it a few seasons ago but did need more sim time than I was able to afford. That said (for what I got out of it) was worthwhile. Imo if you got the time and the bucks go for it. Its a great idea imo and great way to spend the winter being productive in ones golf.

Well I've already invested in a net and a skytrak last year, so I've got as much practice time as I can spare! Lol

I figured I could use the setup every winter to keep my game in shape!

Sent from my SM-G928W8 using Tapatalk

I'm planning on going for some lessons at golftec up in Calgary this winter.

i have an outdoor range so I can work on things and see what happens which is nice.

Also planning on saving some of the lessons until the spring so I can see how things go on the course.

I love winter lessons! Makes sure my range in my livingroom gets used. Now to purchase a skytrack to go with it.

I just signed up for 6 months at Golftec. For me, it's nice to have the off season to make major swing changes and not worry about my score. As my old pro said, swing changes in the winter, short game practice in the summer.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I love winter lessons! Makes sure my range in my livingroom gets used. Now to purchase a skytrack to go with it.

Odd, for some reason, I thought you already picked up a SkyTrak last spring

Odd, for some reason, I thought you already picked up a SkyTrak last spring

No was on the fence. Wasn't too confident with the numbers at launch. Followed along the simulator forum, and now have confidence in it. Any news about a skytrak 2 or updated version?

No was on the fence. Wasn't too confident with the numbers at launch. Followed along the simulator forum, and now have confidence in it. Any news about a skytrak 2 or updated version?

I haven't heard of any news about a ST2, but I just picked up TGC for the winter since it looks like my golf season here is done. :angry:

I haven't heard of any news about a ST2, but I just picked up TGC for the winter since it looks like my golf season here is done. :angry:
Would love TGC, will probably get it. Just that the subscription costs more than my yearly membership at my local golf course, lol.

Swyped while swerving on my S6 edge

Would love TGC, will probably get it. Just that the subscription costs more than my yearly membership at my local golf course, lol.

Swyped while swerving on my S6 edge

Let me know if you ever do get TGC so we can tee it up!

I prefer to take them year round and at this point generally 1 a month.

Back