Let's talk about swing speed.

So I have an HH golf swing speed trainer with removable weights and a prgr. Can someone recommend a good program to follow. I want to try and groove a more mechanically efficient swing as well.

I’m not sure that it’s a byproduct of speed training but I’ve also managed to be hitting driver with a much tighter dispersion pattern now too. No longer do I have the sprayed right miss.

I think that has a lot to do with the speed training teaching me good release habits as well. It you don’t release properly with the speedsticks it’s very easy to tell. Not releasing properly kills a lot of speed, and can lead to hooks if too fast or pushes if too slow.
Going back to your journey in retrospect. What would you focus on most to start? Strength training, speed training, release and technique or equal focus on all?

Going back to your journey in retrospect. What would you focus on most to start? Strength training, speed training, release and technique or equal focus on all?
Great question. My journey has been a bit of a long and winding one. I started 2 years ago with strength training, and while I think it is important and I continue to do work in the gym 3-4x a week, it was the actual speed training that did the most for me to unlock all of those gains I had in the gym and put them into the correct sequence to deliver speed.

The better release and technique (learning ground force) was a direct result of doing speed training.

To answer I'd say speed training is what I would focus on most if I wanted immediate gains. You could then supplement those gains by getting stronger in the gym and learning better release mechanics.

So I have an HH golf swing speed trainer with removable weights and a prgr. Can someone recommend a good program to follow. I want to try and groove a more mechanically efficient swing as well.
Create a free account here. Those sticks look to closely resemble the SS product so the exercises should translate very well.

Keep us updated on how it works out for you!

Great question. My journey has been a bit of a long and winding one. I started 2 years ago with strength training, and while I think it is important and I continue to do work in the gym 3-4x a week, it was the actual speed training that did the most for me to unlock all of those gains I had in the gym and put them into the correct sequence to deliver speed.

The better release and technique (learning ground force) was a direct result of doing speed training.

To answer I'd say speed training is what I would focus on most if I wanted immediate gains. You could then supplement those gains by getting stronger in the gym and learning better release mechanics.
Thanks for the response. Right now I think my biggest thing to work on is sequence and release mechanics. Followed by improving core strength and muscle balancing.

Thanks for the response. Right now I think my biggest thing to work on is sequence and release mechanics. Followed by improving core strength and muscle balancing.
For me I found that doing speed training actually helped my sequence and release. I talked about that a little earlier in the thread I think. Previous to speed training I worked exclusively on swing mechanics in a conference room for 2 years. That thread is here if curious.

Basically swinging the weight forced my body to start reacting appropriately in a way that all the swing work previously did not.

Way to go Post. Was wondering all your thoughts on this video ?

For me, bringing arms in makes sense. But wouldn’t that make people get steeper in transition. And feel cramped up… versus maybe reaching for some would help them not be stuck.

For me, bringing arms in makes sense. But wouldn’t that make people get steeper in transition. And feel cramped up… versus maybe reaching for some would help them not be stuck.

No, it does not make you steeper. Here is why.

The whole point of this video is to get your hands closer to your body at impact so that on the downswing you get more leverage, thus more swing speed. But if you setup with your hands closer to your body and change nothing else you are crowding yourself and the clubhead would just bury itself in the ground way before it reaches the ball.

So, you have to make an adjustment.

The adjustment you should make is to have less bend at the hips at setup and throughout the swing. This presets you on a shallower swing path than when your arms were extended.

The adjustment you should make is to have less bend at the hips at setup and throughout the swing.
"Being tall" over the ball is one of my swingthoughts. It sometimes leads to shanks when my swing flaw of starting with my shoulders creeps out but it's a good reminder to knock that crap out.

I kind of cobbled together a homemade version of this and started hitting the ball for more distance. I had gotten stuck in the idea of keeping the right elbow close to the body on the backswing (the old hold a towel in your armpit idea), and my arms would kind of separate from my body on the downswing. My swing had become entirely too flat. I corrected by letting my right elbow move away from my body on the backswing, and return to my side on the downswing bringing my arms closer to my body at impact. This has also got my swingplane in a more upright attitude and I was striking the ball much more crisply.

Also, earlier this year my main golf buddy and I played against his Son and his Son's buddy who hits the ball a freaking mile! We actually have a problem following his ball flight. My buddy asked him how he hit the ball so far, and this is exactly what he talked about. Getting the arms and hands close to the body because that's where the leverage is!

Funny - that same video just showed up for me while I was surfing You Tube yesterday!

I'm thinking I might try some Scheffler type footwork or variation of it. Start to use the ground more to generate speed.

Funny - that same video just showed up for me while I was surfing You Tube yesterday!
I saw it and thought it would be relevant in this thread. But what I was taught. Getting the body to move correctly allows the arms and hands to do this on their own. The better the body moves. The more the club will realign at good angles at impact. But I also thought this might be a good addition to do while doing body movements.

I saw it and thought it would be relevant in this thread. But what I was taught. Getting the body to move correctly allows the arms and hands to do this on their own. The better the body moves. The more the club will realign at good angles at impact. But I also thought this might be a good addition to do while doing body movements.
Yes and no. If your setup is proper with the arms hanging straight down from a bent knee, proper spine angle from hinging the hips, proper weight distribution, and balanced position, where the hands are about one fist length from your thigh position at address, some of the movements might happen correctly on their own.

Second, this also requires proper swing sequencing and technique. For example, if you snatch the club back to the inside, all bets are off.

Third, if you restrict your backswing by not allowing your trail elbow to become disconnected from the side of the body then you don't need to reconnect it on the downswing. But if you allow your elbow to move away from the side of your body at the top of your backswing (as most great golfers do) then you must reconnect it on the way back down or your hands will swing further out on the way back to the ball.

Last edited:
Yes and no. If your setup is proper with the arms hanging straight down from a bent knee, proper spine angle from hinging the hips, proper weight distribution, and balanced position, where the hands are about one fist length from your thigh position at address, some of the movements might happen correctly on their own. Second, this also requires proper swing sequencing and technique. For example, if you snatch the club back to the inside, all bets are off. Third, if you restrict your backswing by not allowing your trail elbow to become disconnected from the side of the body then you don't need to reconnect it on the downswing. But if you allow your elbow to move away from the side of your body at the top of your backswing (as most great golfers do) then you must reconnect it on the way back down or your hands will swing further out on the way back to the ball.
I get the part in video where the arms are away from the body because people are told to swing out to the right for more of an in to out swing path.

I get the part in video where the arms are away from the body because people are told to swing out to the right for more of an in to out swing path.

True. But you still have to not only square the clubface, but actually close it slightly to the path of that in to out swing, or you will just hit pushes to the right. And your arms can still be fairly close to the body at impact, even with a swing shape like that.

This sounds counterintuitive, but the shorter my backswing is, the faster my club head speed is.

Jim, that could be a revelation for many! Now, I don't know how you came to term your backswing as "shorter". Is it just a feel, or from someone observing you, or from video? Long, languid, picturesque backswings are a joy to behold, but what matters is how solidly you contact the ball! One thing I noticed today while watching a slow motion video of Nelly Korda was that while her shoulder turn was actually beyond 90 degrees, at no time in her backswing did her arms get anywhere near vertical, nor did her clubshaft get anywhere near parallel to the ground!

The power and speed of your swing comes from your body. Not your arms and hands. They are in service of the body. Plus, you probably have more control over your swing with a shorter backswing. If that allows you to hit the ball with center of the clubface, that will get you your best distance.

This sounds counterintuitive, but the shorter my backswing is, the faster my club head speed is.
You might be getting out of positions and end up cancelling out some speed with a long back swing.

Back