Ajcoop20

Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
Im currently in callaway cf16 forged w/ nippon modus 3 120 tour shafts. Im considering some new irons. Bit of background, my GHin is 15 or so right now after a couple years off, I strike the ball like a 6-8 and score like a 20.

I hit a 6i 175 give or take.

Being that ive been out of the game for awhile im looking for ideas of irons to try, my previous set i built was mizuno jpx850 forged, love the mizuno feel.

my requirements are must be forged, pretty much anything else is fair game, ive played blades before but im realistic with my ability, and while i love hitting them, i dont have time to have a game sharp enough to play well with them.

thanks in advance!

_adam

'21 Apex Pro...

Forged forgiving blade

Demo or when you get fit, try the Mizuno 223 (forged) since you like the Mizzie feel. They also have thinner faces in 4-7i for distance, have good spin, and 1025E in the scoring irons/wedges in 8-GW.

Srixon ZX5 would be a good club to look at. I haven’t hit the new Mizuno but they look great. If you like the Apex 16s look at the Apex 21s they are great clubs also.

Demo or when you get fit, try the Mizuno 223 (forged) since you like the Mizzie feel. They also have thinner faces in 4-7i for distance, have good spin, and 1025E in the scoring irons/wedges in 8-GW.
i do like the looks of them, i know what i need in a club ( i have a monitor) ive been building clubs for quite a while, the only reason i didnt buy those is the 10week lead time. might have to try and find a set of heads to try and put my nippon shafts in them.

Check out golfworks and the Maltby line up if you're going to build. TS-2, MMB-17 will be forgiving blade like heads.

Great quality and value

There are quite a few irons that have forged faces, but are not truly what we think of when we are looking for a forged iron. If you truly want a forged iron, you almost have to go to something that is a cavity back player’s iron.

Srixon, Mizuno and some others would have offerings that are more of a true forging. There are some great feeling irons nowadays that are not a true forged body, though.

why does it have to be forged?

Cobra Forged Tec

why does it have to be forged?
because its what i want. I generally dont like the clicky sound of cast clubs. I ended up fitting into mizuno 223s

because its what i want. I generally dont like the clicky sound of cast clubs. I ended up fitting into mizuno 223s

those are fantastic! excellent choice. i hear you (see what i did there???) on the clickiness, but some cast clubs feel really good. and forged has become a term of art that is loosely based in truth for a lot of irons these days.

Hit forged irons and you’ll see. Like butta…..

lol i’m good my dude. i’ve owned lots and lots of different irons, mostly forged but also several cast. i too prefer the forged feel, but tend to think it’s overrated. a well struck shot off some cast irons can still be super satisfying. at least to me.

Those Mizuno 223s should be fun to game! Good luck!

Back