Lighter weight grips

Mach2

Reaction score
Handicap
USGA 13.7
Just got a 5 thru pw set of W/S C300 forged irons with 78 gram graphite shafts. The swing weights are D0. Used lead tape to get them to D1. They came with W/S Lamkin grips. I want to put lighter weight grips on to get the swing weights little heavier.

What are my lighter weight grip options?

Is there a website that lists the various grip weights?

Golf Pride has Tour 25 which, as you could probably guess, is 25 grams. May be too light as that would bump the SW up about 5 points.

Your best bet is to go to a component supplier (hirekogolf.com golfworks.com) to check out the grip weights so you don't have to go to each individual company's page.

Just know going into this that changing the grip weight will change the feeling, but not the flex (and as an extension the playability) of the club. That's probably a good thing.

Your best bet is to go to a component supplier (hirekogolf.com golfworks.com) to check out the grip weights so you don't have to go to each individual company's page.

Just know going into this that changing the grip weight will change the feeling, but not the flex (and as an extension the playability) of the club. That's probably a good thing.
I understand what you're saying. I just want to feel the head weight more than this stock W/S Lamkin grip & D0 swing weight without gobbling on lead tape that results in a heavier than stock overall club weight.

I understand what you're saying. I just want to feel the head weight more than this stock W/S Lamkin grip & D0 swing weight without gobbling on lead tape that results in a heavier than stock overall club weight.

You're on the right track. If the club is a good fit for you, then adding a bunch of lead tape (and weight) can only soften the flex and that might do more harm than good.

You pose an interesting question and something I’d not thought about when changing my standard grips to midsize. I found the following: Golf Pride offers a 39-gram Dual Durometer Lite model, Lamkin's line includes a 40-Gram Ultralite offering and Winn's Lite grip weighs a mere 25 grams. Hope this helps.

You pose an interesting question and something I’d not thought about when changing my standard grips to midsize. I found the following: Golf Pride offers a 39-gram Dual Durometer Lite model, Lamkin's line includes a 40-Gram Ultralite offering and Winn's Lite grip weighs a mere 25 grams. Hope this helps.
Thanks, I'll look into those 3 grips.

Just ordered 6 Super Stroke Cross Comfort gray/black grips. They weigh 48 grams, where the Lamkin Crossline grips on the new irons weigh 49.5 gtams. That's only 1.5 grams lighter, but I'm hoping the 1.5 gram lighter grip on 1 end of the iron will translate to 2 swing weights heavier. I've wanted to try the Super Stroke grips anyway, maybe I'll start hitting my irons like J Spieth, who uses them. I already putt like him, at least like he's been putting lately. LOL

if that does not work for you, consider the Dri Tac light. I put them on my C200's which were measuring c9 to D0. The end result was generally d5. It made me much happier. they seem to be fine grips as well. The stock grip on the c200 was likely a 50g grip. I dropped 25g which is roughly 5 swing weights as noted by a previous post.

if that does not work for you, consider the Dri Tac light. I put them on my C200's which were measuring c9 to D0. The end result was generally d5. It made me much happier. they seem to be fine grips as well. The stock grip on the c200 was likely a 50g grip. I dropped 25g which is roughly 5 swing weights as noted by a previous post.
Thanks Acesteve. Just checked Winn grip website and the Dri Tac Light is 22 grams. I'll see how the swing weight changes after installing the Super Stroke Cross Comfort gray/black grips. Will order 6 of the Winn Dri Tac Light grips anyway.

Played today with the new SuperStroke Cross Comfort Grey/Black Standard Golf Grip. They are 1.5 grams lighter than the stock W/S C300 Forged W/S Lamkin grips. Moved the swing weights 1 point heavier to D2. They feel a little spongy when gripping an iron but sticky. Hit 13 greens today with a few approach shots on the fringe. I'll play tomorrow but think I'll stick with these irons.

5%2023%2018%20Super%20Stroke%20grips_zpszmgsxowj.jpg

5%2024%2018%20SuperStroke%20grip_zpswloqsec0.jpg

How soft are those grips? Are they squishy?

How soft are those grips? Are they squishy?
Yeah, they are. Played the 1st round with them today and had a great iron striking day, 13 greens in regulation. The "squishyness" isn't as bad as I thought it would be though. Should have the 22 gram Winn grips by Saturday.
Playing tomorrow and looking to evaluate the softness of the SuperStroke grips again.

Yeah, they are. Played the 1st round with them today and had a great iron striking day, 13 greens in regulation. The "squishyness" isn't as bad as I thought it would be though. Should have the 22 gram Winn grips by Saturday.
Playing tomorrow and looking to evaluate the softness of the SuperStroke grips again.

Very cool. I like squishy grips a lot but I have not really found any in a while.

I've read conflicting arguments to whether this works or not. For those that have gone with lighter grips, does the club feel heavier? I'd like to cut down my driver shaft and am wondering if it is just a swing weight change or does it feel heavier in the head with a lighter grip?

I've read conflicting arguments to whether this works or not. For those that have gone with lighter grips, does the club feel heavier? I'd like to cut down my driver shaft and am wondering if it is just a swing weight change or does it feel heavier in the head with a lighter grip?
My new W/S C300 forged irons, with Fujikura Speeder 78 (gm) graphite shafts were D0 when I got them and that's what W/S advertised them to be. I used lead tape, on the heel side to promote a slight draw bias, to get them to D1. After installing the SS Cross Comfort that were 1.5 grams lighter than the W/S Lamkin grips that came on the irons, the swing weight increased 1 point to D2.

If you change the grip on your driver to a lighter grip it seems to make sense, with the longer shaft in the driver compared to shaft lengths in shorter irons, you could gain, for sure, at least 1 swing weight and possibly more.

To answer your question, I don't think 1 or 2 swing weight heavier is noticeable.

My new W/S C300 forged irons, with Fujikura Speeder 78 (gm) graphite shafts were D0 when I got them and that's what W/S advertised them to be. I used lead tape, on the heel side to promote a slight draw bias, to get them to D1. After installing the SS Cross Comfort that were 1.5 grams lighter than the W/S Lamkin grips that came on the irons, the swing weight increased 1 point to D2.

If you change the grip on your driver to a lighter grip it seems to make sense, with the longer shaft in the driver compared to shaft lengths in shorter irons, you could gain, for sure, at least 1 swing weight and possibly more.

To answer your question, I don't think 1 or 2 swing weight heavier is noticeable.

Thanks for your reply. I have to ask, why did you change if you can't notice a difference?

Thanks for your reply. I have to ask, why did you change if you can't notice a difference?
Feel and mentally I know they are heavier by a swingweight. So much of this game of golf is mental. I really want them at D2, where the CBX irons are.

After 2 rounds with the Super Stroke cross comfort grips, I don't like the soft/squishy feel of them. It feels like the head of the iron is moving around at the top of the backswing and I can't feel confident in the shot at impact.

Today I received 6 Winn Dry Tack Lite grips. They're only 22 grams, over half the weight of the SS Cross Comfort grips. Having them installed tomorrow.

Had the Winn Dry Tack Lite grips installed today due to the squishy SuperStroke grips. With the SuperStroke cross comfort grips installed the swing weights raised a little, from D1 to D2. The Winn dry tack lite grips sure are light, 22 grams each. The SuperStroke cross comfort grips are 48 grams. With the new, lighter, Winn grips the swing weights are at D6. When I got home and checked the new swing weights, removed the lead tape and they came in at D4. Looking forward to playing Monday. These Winn Dry Tack Lite grips are a little squishy but not as bad as the SuperStroke grips were.

Back