Lost a bunch of weight. Big swing changes!

jnug

Reaction score
Have lost a good deal of weight this year. Realized that I was not carrying it well. So got back on the trail bike and started pounding out the calories with my Garmin Edge.

I did not notice much of a change to my golf swing until I got a good bit of weight off. Now I notice that I am able to come from behind and inside and get down and through the ball much better. Drives are longer. Irons are longer but most significantly, I am getting much more spin on the ball. Short irons take one short hop and stop. Long irons take a larger hop but only one and they stop there as well. I have never gotten that kind of spin on the ball before. In fact more often than not I would try to get the ball to the front of the green because I knew the ball was going to roll out on me. That just sorta' tells ya' how much spin I am getting on the ball now.

While my driver has been very consistent I am having trouble with iron consistency. I think the problem is that I am so anxious now to get coming from the inside on my downswing that I am taking the club back too far inside on the backswing. I am not keeping my hands in front of me and as I start my downswing I can feel how tied up I am. The club seems to have no choice but to find a way to get away from my body and I end up coming outside in real hard.

Does that sound right? If you are taking the club back too far inside should the resulting feeling be kinda' bound up and stuck? I think the difference in shaft lengths for the various irons is at the heart of my problem as I no longer have a good feel for the width of my backswing from one iron to the next now that my turn is better and I feel like I have so much more freedom in the hips. The driver shaft length is what it is. It never changes and I think that is why that has been pretty consistent for me. I treat fairways like my driver and they have been fine as well.

I probably need to stop trying to think about the differences between the iron shaft lengths and just get back to the same spot every time. Maybe if I just keep my darned hands in front of me I will be fine. Does that sound like a good approach? Any suggestions are welcome.

Sounds like you need to see a pro for a tuneup. It's now time to get your new swing in order. Great job on the weight loss!

Congrats on the loss, you just have to relearn how to turn.

Tap,Tap,Tap

Sounds like you need to see a pro for a tuneup. It's now time to get your new swing in order. Great job on the weight loss!

Agree with you here. Congratulations on the weight loss!! Go see a PGA professional to get you started on the right track.

---
- Tapatalk... Loved by me hated by the wife.

Yea I should probably have somebody look at it. I know I am taking the club too far inside on my backswing. Once I get the right feel again for my backswing and position at the top I should be OK. When I get to the top like a should I am killin' it. In fact if I just took a little more time in my pre-shot until I get comfortable again I will probably be OK.

Funny how you just don't have the same reference points when your body changes that much. When I take it too far inside the club has nowhere to go but wrong. It cuts across outside in so hard that I either hit this wicked slice or for the first time in my entire life I hit a shaaaa......a shaaaaaaaaa.......shaa.....Oh the hell with it.

But when I do get to the top like I should, like I said, the result is very good. I am amazed at the difference in the amount of spin I am getting out of these iron shots.

Great job on losing weight.I know the changes to the swing because I lost alot of weight. I went & got fixed at Golftec. Try Taking video of your swing you might be able to figure what going on

Just for fun I was thinking about where the butt of the club would be 3/4 of the way to the top if I was coming too far inside on the backswing and where the shaft would be at the top. Went outside with a 7 iron just now and sure enough.....when the butt of the club should be pointed down the target line it was pointed outside the target line and when at the top the shaft was angled across my shoulders with the club head pointed right of the target instead of the shaft being over them and parallel with the target line. So if I take the club back too far inside when I start the turn back to the ball I am just pulling the club across my body and across the target line on an angle. You sure do not want to be cutting across the target line at impact unless you want to hit a big banana slice. There is just no way to save it from that position. You can't get in that position.

I think my teaching pro actually still owes my about an hour so I will likely give him a call. In the mean time I think I will take more time in my pre-spot as it does not take that much of an effort to check where you are going to be at 3/4 to the top and at the top. Really am going to have to work to remember to do it though as it is not part of my normal pre-shot.

Back