Maybe going to upgrade. I think its time.

rsawyers

Reaction score
Ok so I have been golfing since I was 7 or so I am 32 now. I played in high school and my father bought me a set of Tommy Armour 855's. I still have and use them. They are steel shafts and I hit them as well if not better than I used to. I have a Callaway X driver from about i dont know 10 years ago maybe. And I use the same orlimars that I used in high school for fairway woods. I have been looking at the RBZ driver as well as the burner 2.0 irons or maybe the RBZ irons (money is an issue). I hit the RBZ tour and the plain model both in stiff with a 10.5 degree loft. I hit the tour model very well with my normal slight draw. The plain model even in stiff flex was very wippy as well as considerably lighter. And I hooked the ball hard right every time. I am set on the RBZ tour. The irons I havent been able to try out. Should I just maybe regrip my old trusties or look harder at the irons? I know having them regriped will prob cost around 100 give or take so that makes me lean toward new irons. What do youenz think lol?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

If you have the means a current set will offer you some added forgiveness and with the stronger lofts some added distance. You can also find some of the 2.0's used at a very affordable cost.

I say try to go through a fitting if you're going to upgrade the equipment. You'll likely see more consistency and probably a little step in distance. Good luck!

I would have to say that you couldn't go wrong with GI irons. if you haven't tried hybrids before definitely give them some swings also. I carry 4 hybrids in my bag because they are incredibly easy to hit compared to their iron counterparts even though your experience might differ. if you don't mind used clubs, you can get great deals on eBay & globalgolf.com

All I am gonna say is that your came to a perfect website. I went through something similar but I came AFTER I bought it. Warning-the more you read the bigger your budget will have to be.

I would say stay away from the rocketballz....I do not think they perform well. I tried every driver I could get my hands on and that was my least favorite. Tour or Tp or normal! I think the Razr Fits with the proper upgraded shaft is the way to go for a decent price maybe used. I can always track down equipment if you know what you want. Do not be afraid to give Titleist 913 or 910 lines a try either as there is a lot of options for someone who is not consistent! Just my opinion. You want something for a decent price feel free to pm me. All day long I am buying, trading, selling golf equipment!

Money is an issue as you say and as always, unfortunately that makes it tough and you want to be sure as possible what you buy is what you'll be happy with as it also does not leave much room for error.

With that said, regardless of money I hope you have checked out a number of clubs out there besides just the TM's. There are sooo many and probably should spend alot of time and go to different places and swing and look at a fairly decent amount of different ones before jumping in.

Another thing as mentioned is a fitting and I'll also say clones are a very good option when from a reputable place. A fitting costs money and the reson i say them in the same sentence is this. I would rather have a fitting done and then order a custom fit set of good clones vs an off the shelf set of brand names not fitted to you. If you can get name brands and custom fitted then go right ahead but Given if i had a choice of one vs the other due to finances, I would do the first. Choice of shafts, grips, legnths, lies etc.... Just a thought you may want to consider

I went through this over the last 2 years and here is what I learned in the process. I did it in steps too, to make sure I was serious enough about getting back into golf to justify it.
I started with ping isi irons, a first generation smaller head titanium driver and 3w. Now have ping i20 irons, ping wedges, answer driver, and Adams 3w and hybrids and a odyssey putter.
Biggest bang for the buck for me was a driver. Sure it is the most expensive club, but it has the biggest "upgrade" in technology over the years, plus you hit it the most of any club except your putter. Don't be afraid to get last years model on any club as they are all on sale now since it is the end of the model year, like the rbz you mentioned are on sale everywhere around here. I picked up an honest 20+ yards with just a club change, maybe more.
Next bang for buck was replacing 3 and 4 irons with hybrids. I picked up my Adams 7a two years ago, so they were a few years old when i got them, for 79 each I think, maybe 69. Big help on long par 3s and longer approach shots.
Iron set would be 3rd as far as bang for the buck. I find my i20s much more forgiving than my isi's, which is nice as I was a little worried I was getting in over my head since several ping tour pros play i20s. I also picked up about 1 club of distance with the switch. I figure half of that is the stronger lofts, and some of that is improved cg/design stuff. The reason I rank irons as 3rd is even though I feel like I hit them much better and more consistent, I can't say they have lowered my scores in any significant fashion. I don't know why, I do hit them better but my scores have stayed pretty similar since I got them this spring.
Last would be 3 wood. I picked up just a little distance, 10 yards max and maybe some forgiveness, but neither was as big as a difference as the other clubs. Again I got the Adams 3 wood that was 2 or 3 years old when I got it, 3 or 4 years old now, so it doesn't have the velocity slot, but I think I paid 79 for it too.
Hope this helps. Alan

I went through this over the last 2 years and here is what I learned in the process. I did it in steps too, to make sure I was serious enough about getting back into golf to justify it.
I started with ping isi irons, a first generation smaller head titanium driver and 3w. Now have ping i20 irons, ping wedges, answer driver, and Adams 3w and hybrids and a odyssey putter.
Biggest bang for the buck for me was a driver. Sure it is the most expensive club, but it has the biggest "upgrade" in technology over the years, plus you hit it the most of any club except your putter. Don't be afraid to get last years model on any club as they are all on sale now since it is the end of the model year, like the rbz you mentioned are on sale everywhere around here. I picked up an honest 20+ yards with just a club change, maybe more.
Next bang for buck was replacing 3 and 4 irons with hybrids. I picked up my Adams 7a two years ago, so they were a few years old when i got them, for 79 each I think, maybe 69. Big help on long par 3s and longer approach shots.
Iron set would be 3rd as far as bang for the buck. I find my i20s much more forgiving than my isi's, which is nice as I was a little worried I was getting in over my head since several ping tour pros play i20s. I also picked up about 1 club of distance with the switch. I figure half of that is the stronger lofts, and some of that is improved cg/design stuff. The reason I rank irons as 3rd is even though I feel like I hit them much better and more consistent, I can't say they have lowered my scores in any significant fashion. I don't know why, I do hit them better but my scores have stayed pretty similar since I got them this spring.
Last would be 3 wood. I picked up just a little distance, 10 yards max and maybe some forgiveness, but neither was as big as a difference as the other clubs. Again I got the Adams 3 wood that was 2 or 3 years old when I got it, 3 or 4 years old now, so it doesn't have the velocity slot, but I think I paid 79 for it too.
Hope this helps. Alan

... And if I met you (and thp), I wouldn't have rushed to buy everything all at once... Now I don't have much to buy it her than, shoes, shirts, vests, markers, line markers, towel, accessories...

You will probably see the most benefit from newer technology in the driver as opposed to irons. 855's are great irons as well. So if you want to save money stick with the irons you have and re grip them.

You can buy hundreds of regrip kits with very good quality grips on ebay for 50 bucks or less...even less if you only want to regrip your irons..as long as you know how to use a utility knife and how to apply tape to a surface you can regrip your own clubs...the kits come with grips, tape, solution and a little rubber shaft holder that clamps into a bench vise...and if you use charcoal lighter fluid instead of the grip solution you don't even need the vise because the grips will slide on so easy you can just set the clubhead on the floor and push the grip on...and with lighter fluid it dries much quicker than most grip solution..when you go this route you can spend $2.50-5 bucks per grip, 10 cents per piece of tape and that's it. And even a first timer can regrip a whole set in an hour or less once they get the old grips and tape removed.

If you are on a budget and you already have irons that you can control stick with them. They will feel brand new with new grips on them. Spend your money on longball clubs and more trips to the course/range.

Be warned though...once you do your first D.I.Y grip install you are going to want to start tinkering with your clubs more and more...cleaning, groove freshening, shaft cutting or extending, fresh grips every couple of months, driver shaft swapping, etc etc etc...club tinkering can become an addiction, especially for a guy who can't make it to the course/range through the week or due to weather...

And if you do decide to spring for new irons, don't be so hell bent to buy the highest priced 3 or 4 brands. Don't be afraid to look at brands like TOUR EDGE..their game improvement stuff is very effective, and their players clubs are good enough to make the Golf Digest Hot List and be found in the bags of plenty of guys who make their living playing.And you typically see retail prices 25-40% cheaper on TourEdge clubs versus Callaways or TMs. Get fitted and then start shopping hard. This time of year new models are coming out so 2011-2012 stuff will go on the sale rack. And the shops want rid of the stuff so they will make loft/lie adjustments and trim shafts on those too...if you need longer they may have a set of pull shafts to swap...If you have an oddball measurement or spec in your fitting it may be a bit harder to find last years stuff that can be made to fit, but it is out there and making calls and looking in different stores doesn't cost you a thing.

One more thing...as I re-read your post I saw that you "HOOKED" the ball HARD RIGHT...are you a lefty or did you mean you sliced it hard right?

The reason I ask is...if you are a lefty you will get frustrated going into golf stores trying to find good deals on closeout or used stuff...every store I go into seems like the inventory matches the population of Right handed vs Left handed (80%-20%ish)......BUT......

EBAY is absolutely LOADED with killer deals on lefty stuff...flooded with em...I know this because when I am spending hours and hours hunting for what I want at the price I want I always see the lefty model of what I want listed over and over and over again for as low as half the price of the right handed equivalent....I actually woke my wife up one night at 1:00AM with a loud profanity after getting so frustrated with how much cheaper stuff would be if I was wronghand...er...uh....I mean lefthanded...hahaha

Lol no I ment sliced it hard right. I am a righty i just couldnt remember if slice was right or left or if hook was right or left lol thats why I said right. I had my mind made up for me kind of. My father heard me talking about getting a new set of irons and a driver so he got on my ebay and saw what I was watching and got me the RBZ tour driver with the HD6 shaft in 10.5 degrees and he sprung for the RBZ irons with the 3 and 4 hybrid 5-pw in stiff flex. He didnt pay for all of them but he covered what I couldnt. I love my father! I am a 32 year on man, my parents treat me very well. I wouldnt trade them for anything in the world! I will keep my 855's cause my father bought them for me years ago and they will always be special to me. As well as the new set he has helped me get. Thank you all for the tips and pointers. I am sure I will loves these as I love my 855's. Now I just need to get him back out there with me. He is a retired steelworker and his arms and shoulders hurt too much to play anymore. Merry Christmas to you all I wish you enough!

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Back