Ole Gray

Mayor of the Woodshed
Reaction score
Handicap
Average
Today is Melanoma Monday which is skin cancer awareness day! Please protect yourself as best possible from this deadly disease. If caught in time it will not be an issue, don't wait if you have a suspicious spot on your skin. Just take a few minutes to apply sun block especially to sensitive areas. Light skin, blue or green eyed folks better really be on the defense. Have a happy and safe summer in the sun! If you have any orange clothing, wear it today in support of this worthy cause.

Great advice, considering the Outing is in a couple weeks. Us darker skinned brothers and sisters can get this as well...don't think you're immune just because you have a bit more melanin in your skin.

Great advice, considering the Outing is in a couple weeks. Us darker skinned brothers and sisters can get this as well...don't think you're immune just because you have a bit more melanin in your skin.

Thanks JN and you are so right! No one is immune to this so don't take your skin for granted. People die every hour in this country from skin cancer. Take it seriously.

Great post OG, thanks for the reminder and thanks to JN for pointing out something that is so true but often not thought of. Good job guys.

Thanks Ole Gray. Good thread.

On the downside, I have a funeral to go today for a guy from the golf course (counter help) who was a teacher at my high school (and one of my golf coaches), who dies last week from this. Fun day for me.

Thanks Ole Gray. Good thread.

On the downside, I have a funeral to go today for a guy from the golf course (counter help) who was a teacher at my high school (and one of my golf coaches), who dies last week from this. Fun day for me.

Sorry my friend. So tragic and my prayers go to friends and family. Skin cancer is one of the most under rated diseases in this country.

One of my friends just lost her nephew to melanoma. He had a 5 year old son. So sad!

So sad. I have my orange polo on at work.

I have fallen victim to some bad sunburns, but now I always carry sunscreen in my bag now. Not worth it to get caught without it. Painful and potentially deadly

2 bottles of sunscreen in the bag at all times. My wife worked on the oncology unit of a local hospital and saw too many young patients with melanoma. Tragic stuff.

Had a skin check yesterday. So, next Monday, I go to the Dr. and will get about a quarter sized section removed from my upper chest. Somebody get me a bottle of whiskey and stick to bite on.

My mom had a very bad melanoma (stage 3 or 4, can't remember) back when I graduated high school. Required a huge skin graft and a lot of praying that it hadn't spread throughout her body. 20+ years later and she's still around, but very high risk, as am I. I've got those bad moles that put me in the 95 percentile of risk. Basically, my dermatologists have told me that it's not really a matter of if, but when, I will get it. So...the moral of the story is get checked regularly. I have to do complete exams every 6 to 9 months and they've got my whole body mapped out like a solar system with all the little moles and their measurements and colors. As golfers, we're putting ourselves at an even higher level of risk. It's not that we shouldn't play, but we should definitely take every precaution and get checked regularly. The difference between catching melanoma early or late can be the difference between life and death.

Have been hearing the commercial for the sunscreen pill. Anyone know anything about this? Legit or quackery, side efects etc.?

Have been hearing the commercial for the sunscreen pill. Anyone know anything about this? Legit or quackery, side efects etc.?

I'm at the dermatologist now. Will ask about it!

Have been hearing the commercial for the sunscreen pill. Anyone know anything about this? Legit or quackery, side effects etc.?

I asked the PA about this and they do not know of any drug that acts as a sunscreen, only topical sunscreens. The nurse was intrigued though and did do a Google search and found some links to a sunscreen pill made from coral. Looks as if it is an antioxidant.

Here's a good article:

http://health.howstuffworks.com/skin-care/beauty/sun-care/sunscreen-pills.htm

Even here in the UK this is an under rated illness , good thread OG , and I have just booked a visit with the Doctor as my wife has noticed a patch of skin on my back with a mole that has discoloured and changed...it itches a lot and has just started doing this in the last 8 weeks or so. I took particular care on our holiday in Egypt last month to keep it well protected......fingers crossed...

Last edited:
I have to get myself checked out. I have a number of freckles that are suspicious

I've been down the malignant melanoma route twice. Once when I was 26, over 20 years ago. My wife noticed a mole in my hairline that she hadn't seen before after I got a haircut on my way out of the Navy. Required a large portion of scalp to be removed and skin grafted from my thigh. I grow my hair longer than I like to keep it covered. Last year had round 2. There was a spot on my lower back that I didn't like right at the waistband line. When I went in for a checkup I asked the doc to remove it and have it tested. He said it was nothing. Came back as melanoma again. They had to cut out a football shape section about 3" wide by 6" long. I spent that few days of recovery perusing this site.
I never was a sun worshipers, but I am definitely an outdoors person. Be careful, wear appropriate clothing for your skin type and use sunscreen.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Back