Need a suit for a cruise - where to look?

PiratePenguin

2024 Goat Cup Team Brennan
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
We're going on a cruise in about five weeks and I haven't worn one in years and what I have in the closet doesn't fit, and what would be close with small alterations looks like a funeral suit, not a cruise suit. I've poked around a few places online but anything I like so far is out of stock or crazy expensive for something I'll only wear once or twice, and men's warehouse has nothing in stock to rent, either.

Where should I look? (I'm thinking a beige linen suite, if that helps. Casual, cruise-y, light weight, etc.)

We cruise often and I stopped wearing suits long ago. I just wear a nice golf or dress shirt on "elegant" nights. I guess it depends on the cruise line. We usually cruise Carnival, Royal and Norwegian.

We're going on a cruise in about five weeks and I haven't worn one in years and what I have in the closet doesn't fit, and what would be close with small alterations looks like a funeral suit, not a cruise suit. I've poked around a few places online but anything I like so far is out of stock or crazy expensive for something I'll only wear once or twice, and men's warehouse has nothing in stock to rent, either.

Where should I look? (I'm thinking a beige linen suite, if that helps. Casual, cruise-y, light weight, etc.)
I would like echo I don’t think a suit is needed either. Guess it depends how fancy you want to go. We have been on several and can’t say I’ve brought a suit with me…

If you do end up needing one, I normally find some great deals at Jos. A. Bank for suits. I have three from there. They’ve lasted a long time and I always get compliments. I am a lawyer so wear suits often.

Men’s warehouse or Dillards are probably easy and will have options.

If they have one near you, Home (nicksmenswear.com) is fantastic. You get a basic fitting with needed alterations. They have great looking suits and everything you need to put together a great outfit. imo, probably the best experiences I have ever had - that is including the elite type places.

To add, only trying to find a suit (or at minimum a blazer) because we’re doing a dinner in the fancy adult only place that requires a jacket. For formal night I’d be fine without one.

At the mall now. Tried Dillards so far. Everything is slim fit. Why? Fine for shoulders, but not midsection. They need suits for Dadbods dammit.

Last time I needed a suit I got it from these guys. I was impressed with the service. Sure it’s not a super high end suit but it’s something I wear maybe once every couple of years if I’m lucky.

Finally found a nice light weight sport coat at Belk that will work. Doesn’t help being a 38 short. Almost no stock that small. They need a Thinner and Shorter section next to the Big and Tall.

Finally found a nice light weight sport coat at Belk that will work. Doesn’t help being a 38 short. Almost no stock that small. They need a Thinner and Shorter section next to the Big and Tall.
Was gonna say, just do a blue blazer and voila.

If all you need is a sport coat hit good well or Salvation Army and get it dry cleaned and call it a day. When to get back donate it again.

Brooks Brothers definitely!
High quality

If you do end up needing one, I normally find some great deals at Jos. A. Bank for suits. I have three from there. They’ve lasted a long time and I always get compliments. I am a lawyer so wear suits often.

I was going to say JAB. They frequently have close out suits you can get a good deal on and they are solid suits. I am not sure I would want to put a suit on if I was on a cruise. It would feel too much like work.

Don't think you need a suit necessarily.

Khakis or golf pants with a button down shirt. Put a blazer over it and you're golden.

I guess what I'm saying is, look for a new blazer :)

No suit.

Go for the standard Navy Sportjacket and grey pants or lighter blue pants for a more casual look, or khaki pants for the golfer look. You can wear a polo or long sleeved shirt. Navy is versatile and you can use it on other occasions. Beige? Not so much.

Everyone should have a navy blazer as a starting point.

Back