Need Help With Extension Through Impact

Sully

Reaction score
Handicap
Freddie,

I was wondering if you could take a look at my recent swing videos and let me know what you think. Anyone else, feel free to chime in as well. Im open to as much help as I can get. Basically my ball striking is the biggest downfall to my game. Very inconsistent, but when the timing is right, I can put together some nice rounds as long as my chipping and putting show up.

I've always had trouble with getting my weight forward at impact, as well as having some forward shaft lean. As you can see, I have a major chicken wing through impact and I get very bunched up. I find it very difficult to rotate through the shot and fully extend my arms with a nice release.

Let me know what you think! Thanks for the help guys.

I think you need to clear those hips, but just my .02.

Ya I was waiting for that one haha. I've always had an issue with clearing my hips and separating that movement from my upper body.

This is perfect setup position minus your head is bent to fat forward. Look at the ball with your eyes not your face. Also this position is a good 6 inches from where you really addressed the ball.

It looks like you have a wedge of some sort in your hands. The position you see is where you should start. You got to this position by breaking the wrist upon take away. Move that club head with your shoulders not your hands.

asy9ujeg.jpg

The other big flaw is the lack of rotation through the ball. Because you are swinging all arms, you have to chicken wing the finish. And because you are all arms, you are releasing the club at the top of your swing (slight cast) I want to see --->

e9u5aja5.jpg

This actually you back swing but it will help since the down swing should mirror the back swing. The butt of the club should be pointed at the ball in this position. As the left hip pulls off the line ( like someone is pulling you left side belt loop)

I have more but want you to work on:

1: one piece take away with the shoulders not the hands.

2: hold the angle on the down swing and pull the left hip off the line

This is perfect setup position minus your head is bent to fat forward. Look at the ball with your eyes not your face. Also this position is a good 6 inches from where you really addressed the ball.

It looks like you have a wedge of some sort in your hands. The position you see is where you should start. You got to this position by breaking the wrist upon take away. Move that club head with your shoulders not your hands.

Wow that's great! I really appreciate the feedback. When you say this is the position I should start, it seems I have a lot more forward shaft lean. Should the ball be further back as well? The only difference I see in setup, is more forward shaft lean.

I believe that swing was an 8 iron, but it also could have been a PW, I'm not positive. Also, I forgot to note that I was working on adding some more wrist hinge that day, which is why I may begin my swing with my hands.

Anyways I really appreciate you taking the time to go over my swing. I will definitely be aware of my setup and and takeaway. Adding rotation is a different story. Its something I have always struggled with, but Ill keep working at it. For some reason I cannot get my hips to start the downswing and rotate through. I think if I work on holding that angle on the downswing, it might help a bit.

Wow that's great! I really appreciate the feedback. When you say this is the position I should start, it seems I have a lot more forward shaft lean. Should the ball be further back as well? The only difference I see in setup, is more forward shaft lean.

I believe that swing was an 8 iron, but it also could have been a PW, I'm not positive. Also, I forgot to note that I was working on adding some more wrist hinge that day, which is why I may begin my swing with my hands.

Anyways I really appreciate you taking the time to go over my swing. I will definitely be aware of my setup and and takeaway. Adding rotation is a different story. Its something I have always struggled with, but Ill keep working at it. For some reason I cannot get my hips to start the downswing and rotate through. I think if I work on holding that angle on the downswing, it might help a bit.
I know that forward press looks extreme so tone it down a bit. But I'd like to see you start with the line from you left shoulder down to the head of the club. This will help with a shoulder tuen take away.

the angle you have at address with your wrist and club should be maintained through out the swing, you don't have to add any. It will end up back firing.

Thanks Freddie, I am going to hit the range tonight and work on takeaway and holding the angle on the downswing. Finally some weather above 30!

Back