Oahu and Maui courses

Amsdell

Reaction score
Handicap
I was lucky enough to go to Hawaii this past week and played a good amount a golf. I figured I could share with you guys some of my opinions on the courses and what I thought about them.

Oahu:
Turtle Bay - Palmer Course: Overrated. I was very excited to play this course because of the previous Senior Tour tournaments and Big Break being held there but I was very disappointed. It cost $160 per guy and I was just expecting more ocean holes being so close to the ocean. There was 1 hole where the green backed up the ocean but wasnt very close. The course itself had some nice holes, it was windy and a lot of the greens were elevated which made some shots rather difficult. When we checked in it was very hectic and we didn't know where to go because no one helped us, we almost ended up on the other course. The course looked as though it wasn't cared for that well and I'm sure 5-10 years ago it was immaculate. Overall, I would not go back just because of the distance from Honolulu (hour and a half) and the price.

Ko'olau - What a setting. I have never played a course that was literally right next to a mountain. It was deemed as one of the hardest courses in America and it was challenging. Many blind shots and forced carries. I thought it was fun thought, especially if you have GPS. The course condition wasn't great but the views alone make it worth it. It's almost like the opposite of Pebble Beach because the mountains surround every hole. It cost around $125 but it was amazing. I could not recommend this course enough, condition not so nice but the views and the uniqueness of the holes definitely make up for it.

Royal Hawaiian - This course was just purchased by a new company so the clubhouse is completely empty other than a pretty bare pro shop. It was about $125 but there were cheaper deals on Golfnow.com. This course has 2 completely different nines. The front nine is a traditional style with mountain views and challenging holes. The back nine is literally just carved out of the jungle. I had never seen anything like it, it was another difficult course but was very fun to play.

Maui:
Kapalua - Plantation - Unbelievable. I particularly love playing where the pros play and this course was just immaculate. It was recently purchased by Troon Golf and they have spared no expensive as far as I could tell. Absolutely stunning views and course was in great shape. I have never played there and the greens were some of the oddest I have ever played. They are exact opposite speeds going towards the ocean and away, it can be frustrating. It was very windy which made a lot of the holes challenging. It was expensive $325 I believe, but it was probably my favorite course experience because I really had no expectations coming in and the views and the holes were quite captivating.

Kapalua - Bay - More resort style but still challenging. The front nine has amazing views with 2 holes being right along the ocean with the back nine being more traditional with houses surrounding the course. It was still rather expensive but both places have nice replay rates.

Sorry for the long post and sorry for no pictures, but I hope it helps someone.

I am probably going to Oahu next january so I thank you for this write up. Was looking forward to Turtle Bay for the same reasons you were but atleast Ko'olau lives up to the hype. I just wish I could go to Maui to play Kapalua, the one course I really want to play other than Waialae.

I wish I was in Maui longer because it seemed that they had more quality courses than Oahu and Waialae was definitely next on my list some maybe I'll get back there one day.

Wow that is a lot of money to play Kapalua. I am going to Maui next March with my wife for our anniversary and I am planning on playing one or two times. I was reading somewhere that Makena is an excellent course that was built by Robert Trent Jones Jr. and it is a very overlooked gem of a course. The pics online look Awesome! I am to cheap to pay $325. But it sounds like an amazing course.

Back