Old School Putting Style

Den60

Reaction score
Handicap
13.6 USGA
Over the past year I have really struggled with my putting, especially the ones you expect to make. While watching golf on TV occasionally they would show old videos Arnie and Jack putting. They had a narrow stance, open and pretty much hunched over the ball. I decided to give that a try (not quite as hunched). My putting has improved dramatically. When standing over a put with a "modern" stance I struggled with the takeback and never felt comfortable. The open stance, similar to what I do when chipping, seems to make me feel "freer" on the takeaway and my alignment over the ball is better. I feel less tension. I have been draining some long putts of late and my long putting distance control has improved. I still miss the occasional short put by either over gripping with my left hand (causing the head to turn at impact) or by just pushing the ball right. I think a lot of that is confidence as it is my head how many times I've missed short putts in the past.

Anyone else on here ever go try the "old school" stance?

The best athletes can excel in spite of their technique.

I personally have not, but if it's working for you, by gum, it's the right way. If I had to do the stork stance from The Karate Kid to make my putts, I'd do it.

Nope. The closest I've come has been using a little more forward press in my stance. I usually only do this when I'm trying to hole a putt in a must make in match play or as the last to putt in a scramble format. I've found I hole a lot of putts like this but my distance control is lacking.

But hey, if this is working for you, carry on. As Hamfist so eloquently pointed out, we'd all do pretty much anything to hole more putts.

Back