One step forward, three steps back.

Deano

Reaction score
Handicap
Having a sulk today, and just feel like I need to vent to someone other than my wife (who doesn't show any sympathy, haha).

Just when my game seems to be moving in the right direction, it quickly rears up and slaps me in the face.

Over the summer I dropped from an unofficial HCP of 24 to 18 (unofficial as I'm not a member). Making some big improvements, posting decent scores, starting to shoot low 90s/high 80s consistently.

My last two rounds have been really good with regards to putting and chipping - the areas of the game that I do spend a lot of time on. I had 29 putts yesterday, including 9 single putts and a chip in! I do have the occasional shank that crept into my game about 6 months ago - that I've eradicated to a degree, but every now and then I think 'don't shank it' and boom.

But it's my long game that's really suffering. I've turned to mush on the tee box, constantly topping my tee shots - I had 5 penalty shots yesterday from tee boxes; on the odd occasion I didn't top it - it flew into a hazard or OOB. Clubs that are usually my 'go-to' were all over the show. Even topped a 9 iron off the tee on a par 3.

My friend who I played with shot his PB of 82 while I shot 102. As elated as I was for him, it compounded my misery further as we are generally on the same level.

I will be looking to get some lessons, mainly on course because I'm generally very good on a driving range (who isn't).

Just feeling down in the dumps today :arrogant:

Been there dude. Usually shot mid to high 80's, put up a 107 and a 109 at the end of this season. I was bummed but considered it anomaly. Some days we just don't have it.

sorry for the rough stretch. i know the feeling well. any chance you can post a video for freddie to take a look? maybe get your buddy to "secretly" film you hitting driver during a round, and hitting an iron off the tee during a round. i say "secretly" because if you don't know he's filming, you'll make your normal swing. and i would want it to be during a round since it seems like there's something in your head during a round and on the tee that maybe isn't there on the range or from the fairway.

good luck!

I went through the same thing a couple of months ago. After playing some of my best golf through the summer and shooting a personal best 81, I had a month where it looked like I hadn't ever played. My swing had gotten too quick, I was losing distance and not making solid contact. It will pass, just get back to basics and you will be fine.

Just have to push through it. When I start playing bad I get more determined than ever to fix what is wrong and improve. Patience is the key!!

sorry for the rough stretch. i know the feeling well. any chance you can post a video for freddie to take a look? maybe get your buddy to "secretly" film you hitting driver during a round, and hitting an iron off the tee during a round. i say "secretly" because if you don't know he's filming, you'll make your normal swing. and i would want it to be during a round since it seems like there's something in your head during a round and on the tee that maybe isn't there on the range or from the fairway.

good luck!

I have already got a post up in the swing tips with Freddie, might have to get an updated one added.

Cheers for the support guys, I know I'll get through the blip, they just hurt so bad.

Oh that happens to me. Some days it's 93, other days it's 105. Part of the game. There's always the next game.

Golf has a way of reminding you that: 1) you don't have it figured out yet, 2) you're not as good as you think you are, and 3) golf is hard! :D

Keep at it and you'll get it all back. Be patient and try not to be too hard on yourself. (I'm partly talking to myself here. LOL)

The game will ebb and flow. I've been there and took a couple of weeks off. Maybe just practice, but most likely unless some seriously bad habits have creeped in, it's just mental and you might need a break.

One thing I did was find a teacher to take a look and make sure nothing crazy is going on. It can be something as simple as your grip, tempo or posture.

I play with 25 handicaps and 5 handicaps. When I play above my handicap, buddy with 25 hcp starts squeezing too hard and swings way too hard to keep up with my play, resulting in the opposite.

Same for me if a 5 hcp is shooting par. Instead of controing my game, I will take too many risks and end up in the woods and losing even more strokes.

If the driver gets wonky on the back 9, put it away and hit the range before your next round to correct things. Also, use a trusty iron such as an 8 iron and leave it short instead of putting 5 iron shots in the woods. You may not shoot 90 but maybe better than 102.

Just an update on this.

I feel like I've got my long game back, I've been working on a more natural, thoughtless, swing and it's paid dividends.

But right now my short game has gone to pieces. My putting is still good enough to save me a lot of the time but let me go into more detail...

In the original post I mentioned my shank and that I'd eradicated it, now it's back and it's always in the same conditions.

I chip using the hinge & hold method, coupled with the bump & run, depending on the circumstances. If we're talking about chips just off the green, using the hinge & hold, I'm decent enough, but the minute I step backwards and have about 30-40 yard chips, still using the hinge & hold method, I'm drastically shanking the ball - every. single. time!

To the point that I won't go on the chipping green if anyone else is around as I'm scared that I'll hit them, and also when playing, if someone is stood at around 3/4 o'clock (assuming the target is 12 o'clock) I'll ask them to step back, just in case.

Now, it seems to be that with this type of shot, with the additional effort, I'm doing a few things:
1. I'm cutting across the ball
2. Not closing the face at all
3. Feeling like my right side is taking over

I've tried different methods to try and rectify it but I'm really struggling - and it's making me very angry and frustrated. I'm booked in for a lesson next week and I know the pro will probably take one look at me and say 'do this' and fix it, but I just need some sort of advice.

Just an update on this.

I feel like I've got my long game back, I've been working on a more natural, thoughtless, swing and it's paid dividends.

But right now my short game has gone to pieces. My putting is still good enough to save me a lot of the time but let me go into more detail...

In the original post I mentioned my shank and that I'd eradicated it, now it's back and it's always in the same conditions.

I chip using the hinge & hold method, coupled with the bump & run, depending on the circumstances. If we're talking about chips just off the green, using the hinge & hold, I'm decent enough, but the minute I step backwards and have about 30-40 yard chips, still using the hinge & hold method, I'm drastically shanking the ball - every. single. time!

To the point that I won't go on the chipping green if anyone else is around as I'm scared that I'll hit them, and also when playing, if someone is stood at around 3/4 o'clock (assuming the target is 12 o'clock) I'll ask them to step back, just in case.

Now, it seems to be that with this type of shot, with the additional effort, I'm doing a few things:

I've tried different methods to try and rectify it but I'm really struggling - and it's making me very angry and frustrated. I'm booked in for a lesson next week and I know the pro will probably take one look at me and say 'do this' and fix it, but I just need some sort of advice.

Without seeing a video I would guess that you are manipulating the club in some form during your swing. If you are truly doing a "hinge and hold" you should just be rocking your shoulders, almost like a long putt, and making good contact every time! I would imagine that it's likely a very easy fix and your pro will do just as you said, simple tweak and voila! Best of luck and keep working at it, this game will never be mastered but the steps back will lessen over time.

Just an update on this....

Last 5 rounds have gone 89, 89, 101, 105, 109.

My game has gone to mush!

I've started hitting shots off my back foot - but the worst thing about this is that I've been working really hard on starting the downswing with my lower body for the past 2 weeks, to really good effect, on the practice range and short par 3 course I play at. I've been putting in loads of purposeful practice and before my round yesterday, mainly from 120 yards and in, I was feeling really good about things but started with 3 triple bogeys.

I've been accepted by Golf Monthly to play at Woburn Golf course which is an amazing local course and where the British Masters were held in 2015, as part of a learn and play day and now I'm really worried I'm going to make a fool out of myself.

Just an update on this....

Last 5 rounds have gone 89, 89, 101, 105, 109.

My game has gone to mush!

I've started hitting shots off my back foot - but the worst thing about this is that I've been working really hard on starting the downswing with my lower body for the past 2 weeks, to really good effect, on the practice range and short par 3 course I play at. I've been putting in loads of purposeful practice and before my round yesterday, mainly from 120 yards and in, I was feeling really good about things but started with 3 triple bogeys.

I've been accepted by Golf Monthly to play at Woburn Golf course which is an amazing local course and where the British Masters were held in 2015, as part of a learn and play day and now I'm really worried I'm going to make a fool out of myself.

As much as possible, look at it as a unique fun opportunity, and not a showcase of your golf game. Golf Monthly has been privy to worse than mid 100 scores. Don't sweat it! Swing tips isn't my deal though. Strongly suggest posting in Panda's section. Guy's a stud at diagnosing the key issue, rather than patch cr*p up with band aids.

Just an update on this.

Just saw your update, so apologize for maybe addressing something that has gone away. In my case, those shanks came from not turning the body on the swing. Took a lesson because of it and we solved that one in five minutes. That was almost a year ago.

Just saw your update, so apologize for maybe addressing something that has gone away. In my case, those shanks came from not turning the body on the swing. Took a lesson because of it and we solved that one in five minutes. That was almost a year ago.
No need to apologise. I did have a lesson regarding the shanks and it was solved very quickly. It does rear its ugly head every now and then, it's just the other issues now ? definitely going to be fitting in another lesson ASAP.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Japanese proverb: Knocked down seven times, get up eight. Keep pounding the rock! I'm right there with you.

Japanese proverb: Knocked down seven times, get up eight. Keep pounding the rock! I'm right there with you.
Love that. Thanks

I'll offer my standard view: obviously the clubs are defective, you need new ones.

In a more serious vein, it's a hiccup, you just have to grind through it. It hits all players at some time, even those guys who get paid to play the game.

When my swing starts to go sideways, the first thing I try is to just go to an abbreviated back swing. the "9-3" drill. A lot of the time it helps me just to get my tempo and backswing settled down.

I'll offer my standard view: obviously the clubs are defective, you need new ones.

In a more serious vein, it's a hiccup, you just have to grind through it. It hits all players at some time, even those guys who get paid to play the game.

When my swing starts to go sideways, the first thing I try is to just go to an abbreviated back swing. the "9-3" drill. A lot of the time it helps me just to get my tempo and backswing settled down.
New clubs it is then ?

You're very right with what you're saying though, it's just horrible when you're going through it.

Back