Optishot - Can I trust the numbers?

Geoff.

Reaction score
Handicap
Even though I live in Southern Ohio I still want to continue to work on my golf game in the winter. It is currently 28 degrees outside!

To that end I put together an Optishot simulator in the house (Thank you loving wife!) I have a full mat that I hit off of and a net to hit into. That means I can hit real balls. I like that because I can see the initial ball flight and verify the general direction of the shot. Because Optishot tracks the club head and not the ball flight it can get it wrong from time to time. Not often enough to frustrate me, but often enough that I am glad I can hit a real ball. (I toe it hard every few dozen hits.)

My question is what is the consensus as to the accuracy of the readings. I read Josh Babbitt's review from January 18, 2011 here: http://www.thehackersparadise.com/?p=12120

At that time the only information he questioned was the swing speed. Does anyone else have any feedback on it the readings Optishot provides?

Optishot is telling me I am striking the ball with a consistent 10 degree closed face. This maybe true as I spent the last month of the fall season trying to adjust my swing to get rid of a pull I had developed, with little success. (right handed player). My concern is that I don't want to make any adjustments based on Optishot if there is a doubt about the readings. The last thing I want to do is "fix" something and become a really good Optishot player but mess up my real game.

I am a novice, I still haven't broken 100 but I want to put he work in this winter so that I continue to drive my score down in 2014. That means I don't have the experience to identify and fix my own swing problems without help!

No, I would not trust Optishot on face angle without verification. It is generally consistent across shots (the outliers are obvious) but that consistency may not be accurate. You could possibly test your face angle on Trackman and then extrapolate on Optishot. It is better with irons than with longer clubs.

Even though I live in Southern Ohio I still want to continue to work on my golf game in the winter. It is currently 28 degrees outside!

To that end I put together an Optishot simulator in the house (Thank you loving wife!) I have a full mat that I hit off of and a net to hit into. That means I can hit real balls. I like that because I can see the initial ball flight and verify the general direction of the shot. Because Optishot tracks the club head and not the ball flight it can get it wrong from time to time. Not often enough to frustrate me, but often enough that I am glad I can hit a real ball. (I toe it hard every few dozen hits.)

My question is what is the consensus as to the accuracy of the readings. I read Josh Babbitt's review from January 18, 2011 here: http://www.thehackersparadise.com/?p=12120

At that time the only information he questioned was the swing speed. Does anyone else have any feedback on it the readings Optishot provides?

Optishot is telling me I am striking the ball with a consistent 10 degree closed face. This maybe true as I spent the last month of the fall season trying to adjust my swing to get rid of a pull I had developed, with little success. (right handed player). My concern is that I don't want to make any adjustments based on Optishot if there is a doubt about the readings. The last thing I want to do is "fix" something and become a really good Optishot player but mess up my real game.

I am a novice, I still haven't broken 100 but I want to put he work in this winter so that I continue to drive my score down in 2014. That means I don't have the experience to identify and fix my own swing problems without help!

Geoff if its anything but your driver the Optishot is pretty darn accurate for swing path and face angle as well as club head speed. I did a big review on it last winter after winning one in the holiday cheer contest.

GolfinFF

Thanks for the reply. I read lots of your thread but have not made it all the way through yet.

I will say the shot shape that Opti is showing is very similar to the shape I had at the end of the season. I have been hitting PW and 5 iron on the system at the driving range simulator. Those are the clubs my numbers are coming from.

I'll go finish reading your thread!

Edit: I had read all your thread :act-up: So I read it again. Thanks!

I'm trying to schedule a club fitting in about two weeks. (Need to find the time!) It will be interesting to compare numbers with them.

Last edited:
Your quite welcome, I known that thread was kinda long but was a fun testing last winter. The shot shape I had before during and after using it was the same. Although they don't like adjustable drivers for some reason.

I'm gonna guess the numbers to be pretty close as they were for me anyway.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Your quite welcome, I known that thread was kinda long but was a fun testing last winter. The shot shape I had before during and after using it was the same. Although they don't like adjustable drivers for some reason.

I'm gonna guess the numbers to be pretty close as they were for me anyway.

I need to follow up on your thread. I will be finishing up my man cave and have been pondering simulators!

I need to follow up on your thread. I will be finishing up my man cave and have been pondering simulators!

IMO it is a good fun system to keep you swinging in the winter or when the weather just isn't cooperating, or time is lacking to hit the course or range. For the money its great now if want something that gives LA, spin, height, slash factor then you'll need roughly10x the dough for a decent system

Check out that thread probably next weekend, someone may have some things to say about it thanks to a kind man who may or may not share the last 2 letters of their forum name with mine.

Back