Palmer/Trevino/Player/Nicklaus to Design +8000 yard course near Greenbrier

One of them - don't remember who - said it had to be long because it was 2k feet above sea level and the ball flies.

And then there was Player who recently went on the rant about how Chambers Bay was too long and difficult for the average golfer. I guess this will be an easy 8k.

I could see altitude being a consideration, but it's interesting how things change when the check writing starts.

Interestingly, Tiger's Bluejack is already being acclaimed for its interest and accessibility for every type of golfer. So if Jack is mostly known for difficult courses, could Tiger carve a niche for himself as a more friendly/fun architect? We may find out a lot sooner than we thought a few years ago.

One of them - don't remember who - said it had to be long because it was 2k feet above sea level and the ball flies.

I watched an interview with them all this morning and they said it will be close to 8000 but all but maybe 5 holes play downhill and the course will not play near that long. They are designing this to get a US Open on it. Don't forget just cause its long doesn't mean they won't have shorter tee boxes for the regular guys.

Wow that sounds long. I also see its supposed to be finished by fall 2016, that seams very fast for a course to be built? Does it not? Im no course builder by the way.

Back