HBirdman80

Reaction score
Handicap
15.6 GHIN
Did a search and came back with no results, so thought I'd ask: how many THPers are pilots (PPL, Commercial, or ATP)?

Have you ever used your flying skills to go on golf excursions, and, if so, what's your favorite trip?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I know (FlyingWedge) is a pilot... I think he flies for United Airlines.

Not a pilot but my sister works for Flight Safety in Long Beach, CA. I think that has a lot to do with the private side if I remember correctly.

Not a pilot, but my brother is a Navy pilot (F-18).

I thought I'd bump this it in light of the skydiving thread.

Years ago, when I turned 40, my wife and I agreed that I needed a mid-life crisis. I suggested a girlfriend or a Harley, but she didn't like either of those ideas. She then went on to rattle off a bunch of other ideas, one of which was learning to fly. As soon as she said it, I knew that was it, it I didn't immediately react to it.

Awhile later, I found myself sitting at a computer, researching my options. Found a Cessna Pilot Center at a nearby airport, figured out the cost and how we'd pay for it, and eventually signed up for an introductory flight. After a short lesson on the ground, mostly just lift, thrust, weight, and drag, the flight instructor and I hopped in a Cessna 172 and I watched as the world fell away on takeoff. Roughly 40 hours flight time later, I had my PP-ASEL.

Thoroughly enjoyed every hour of training, and had fun taking my young daughter above and around the clouds. Flew once or twice a month for about six years, but eventually came to the conclusion that I couldn't justify the cost anymore at my level of income. That, and golf was starting to call, so I gave it up, but not without some of regret.

I still look up every time I hear the hum of a single engine prop overhead. And I don't think there's anything quite like being on an extended final approach, with a runaway centered and growing slowly but steadily larger on your wind screen, until it's time to cut power and touch down and roll out.

Pilots Checkin

Still technically a student pilot. I've accumulated 58 hours, spread out over about 14 years, but never have been able to finish it up. Got a huge chunk of it done about 10 years ago, then moved to DFW where the costs skyrocketed....kids....work, and here I am.

A couple of pics from my first solo cross country. Just a short hop from PNC-RVS-ICT-PNC in the Grumman Tiger. Loved that aircraft.

26c4c7fd70e51cfbf9d0166187764cbd.jpg

16c3b78a0e5b29e9e817d77f3d00f88c.jpg

Not a pilot, but I was an air traffic controller in Indianapolis for 22 years. I still look up in the sky every time I hear a plane fly overhead.

Not a pilot, but I was an air traffic controller in Indianapolis for 22 years. I still look up in the sky every time I hear a plane fly overhead.

Were you a center controller, per chance? If so, did you know Jason Strebig?

Were you a center controller, per chance? If so, did you know Jason Strebig?

Yes, his working airspace was just south of mine - - I didn't know him well, but we saw each other pretty much every day at work for a few years.

I think he went to ZID around 98 (we were both at Mesa Airlines). His FB acct still says he's a controller and lives in IND. Now, I have no clue how many different sectors/areas that one could work within the Center, so I would have to ask him.

I think he went to ZID around 98 (we were both at Mesa Airlines). His FB acct still says he's a controller and lives in IND. Now, I have no clue how many different sectors/areas that one could work within the Center, so I would have to ask him.

I changed my post after I took a look at FB - I didn't recognize the name right away, but I saw a picture of him and remembered that he worked in the area right next to mine.

I'm a private pilot about 250 hours I believe. Owned a quarter share of a 210 for awhile. Haven't flown in a few years now though. It was my dream as a kid but now I'm an officer in a ship making more money than I could as a pilot for a lot of years.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Instrument Rated Pilot, (Not IR Current) with high performance endorsement.

Aircraft, Single Engine Land, with 2 hours in an Aztec. (Instruction)

Oldman

First flight was with CAP in a J3 cub decades ago. Still remember N5143Z fondly. But I Don't miss landing with skis in snow one bit. Snow blind with all that white with nothing else for visual reference.

Later I took lessons and passed my 40 hr private but failed the physical. Back then you could not be color blind. Later I worked for Boeing and to this day I wish I'd re-examined the medical requirements as I learned color preception is no longer a problem. Boeing had a great private pilots program for employees.

Back