ping g or ping i?

ping g or ping i?

I personally would prefer the i line at this point, but I used G5's for a long time and loved them. The G's are so easily to elevate and very consistent as well. I just like the smaller profile irons a little better now. i20's or i25's are on my list of irons to get at some point just to have.

I have tried both , for my game the I series was better suited. My numbers of total distance and dispursion was better in these regards.

Sent from my SM-G900W8

The Ping G series are a lot fun, but they also have their limitations.

The wide soles tend to bounce off hard pan if you don't come into the ball perfectly.
Feedback is a little muted with the G's.
The i's definitely work the ball easier.
The P & U wedges....... the wide sole limit shot options.
The larger G series faces tend to really slow the clubs down in the rough.
The i's are a little better into the wind, although the G's don't really balloon as much as some GI clubs.

I currently play the G15's and I love em for what they are. They are a point and shoot club in my opinion. I have to exaggerate my swing a lot when I want produce a fade or a draw with them.

I am experimenting with various other clubs right now and will eventually get back to a smaller CB or MB iron type club.

If you are a mid to high handicap player just looking to get out with the boys on the weekends, the G series are probably the club for you. If you are wanting to improve and play a variety of shots, then the i's are a better in my opinion.

I'm not knocking the G's.....I love em! But they do have some limitations.

I am a huge van of the i20s and the me i line isn't bad. The size of the g irons don't suit my eye

They made a lot of subtle changes to the new G line this year that made them more playable than previous years. I didn't have nearly as much trouble off of hardpan as I had when I played the G15s. They also look a lot better down by the ball. I had a set of i25 at the same time as the G, and there were a few times I hit the G thinking it was an I series club down by the ball. Next to each other, there's a clear difference but the G look do look a lot more sleek than they have in the past.

I demo'd the new Gs as well as the iEs at a recent demo day. I chatted with the Ping rep for about an hour. Currently playing a set of G10s. I really liked the looks of the iE1s. They seemed to perform as well or better than my G10s, but given the age of my G10s, that's not unexpected. I tried the Gs as well and, although I didn't like the look of them nearly as much, they are probably a little better fit for me. I'm someone that needs the extra forgiveness of the G series (although the iEs were actually quite forgiving).

tl;dr: I would probably buy the iEs, but the Gs are probably a better fit for me.

I'm an i series junkie. It started with a combo set of G10/i10s where I learned that I much preferred the look, sound/feel, and playability of the i series over the G.

I'm an i series junkie. It started with a combo set of G10/i10s where I learned that I much preferred the look, sound/feel, and playability of the i series over the G.

I think the G is likely the "right" club for me, but despite my glowing review of the G above, I'm always about a second away from buying whatever the current i series iron is.

I've had G irons since the G5, now have the G25 and will be going to the G's soon. I love them, easy to get the ball up in the air, accurate as all get out, distance isn't the best in class but not to shabby.

Playing g30s. Demo'd I series, however I "explore" too much of the face to go smaller and less forgiving. As was said earlier, about g series, hardpan shots require precision, and heavy rough is tough with the large head. But if I'm pulling a 4 iron, I couldn't imagine attempting the shot with a less forgiving club.

which do "you" think is better, and why do you use them?

I prefer the i' s and have some of them, but I do not necessarily think they're better. Better for me perhaps.

I've got a set of i20s and a set of g25s. Neither is the newest release I know, but being as how they were 1 year apart on their release dates, I think it's a fair test to compare the two. I played the i20s for four years before getting these g25s as an experiment. As much as I would love to tell you I need the workability of the I series, and that I love the look of the smaller head with less offset, that simply isn't true. The g's work better for me as a 15 handicap. I throw the i's in the bag occasionally, and always come to the same conclusion, it's silly to not use the more forgiving club.
Having said that I will throw out a few observations that may be important to you. Distances are the same between these two irons. The newer releases have different lofts, so that may not hold true now. The g25s launch noticeably higher and spin less coming into the green. For example, with the i's, a typical wedge approach shot will spin back some and an 8 iron will be within a foot of the ball mark. With the g's, a wedge will be will be within a foot, and an 8 iron will typically release forward a step or two. Did I mention high launch? It's cool the be able to hit say an 8 iron over most any tree on the course. I would consider myself a high launch, high spin player, but despite the high launch, the g's are better in the wind for me, I guess because of the lower spin. Also never had a bounce issue, but I do take noticeably less divot with the g's.
Like everyone else will say, play what you like. Both are very good clubs, but after playing both sets, despite the internet golfer in all of us, I know the g's are better for me. But I still keep those i's handy for when I'm good enough to need them.

Have you considered the Ping Gmax? From all the comparisons that I've been able to find, the Gmax is longer and more forgiving than the G or the i. I have a set of the Gmax's and Callaway Steelhead XR's, and in my own comparison, the Gmax's are longer and have less dispersion. The problem is, I like the Steelhead's at setup better. I'd probably get a lower score with the Gmax's but I played the Steelhead's this fall and really like them. Maybe by the time Spring comes around, I'll be back to the Gmax.

Back