Pitch and Run close for 1 Putt's

Condorll

Golf Addict
Reaction score
Handicap
In the quest for lower scores has anyone tried an Odyssey Marxman X-Act 37 degree chipper?
It looks like it might provide more control and accuracy getting close to the pin than an 8 iron.
Any comments or experience?

In the quest for lower scores has anyone tried an Odyssey Marxman X-Act 37 degree chipper?
It looks like it might provide more control and accuracy getting close to the pin than an 8 iron.

Around these parts there is a ton of experience with the Cleveland Niblick, and there are a ton of threads on them. I'm sure if its basically the same club those threads would help you out a ton.

Around these parts there is a ton of experience with the Cleveland Niblick, and there are a ton of threads on them. I'm sure if its basically the same club those threads would help you out a ton.

The Marxman looks more like an oddysey mallet putter with a 37 degree face and alignment aid for pitch and chip shots within 15 yards of the green. The Niblick looks more like a wide sole chipping wedge I think.

The Marxman looks more like an oddysey mallet putter with a 37 degree face and alignment aid for pitch and ch, ip shots within 15 yards of the green. The Niblick looks more like a wide sole chipping wedge I think.

Ya, I just looked at the pics, strange looking. I think I would go with a niblick personally as I think it would be more versatile for you in general and you can get it with 37* of loft if you want, but there would be more shots you could use it for. Otherwise, that thing looks like it would do the job it was made for.

I havent used one personally but played with a guy earlier this year that used one, he was deadly with it, he hit it a lot better than he did a wedge around the green

Ya, I just looked at the pics, strange looking. I think I would go with a niblick personally as I think it would be more versatile for you in general and you can get it with 37* of loft if you want, but there would be more shots you could use it for. Otherwise, that thing looks like it would do the job it was made for.
The Niblick and be used for full shots if you want.

Hard to waste a spot in the bag when there are so many other club options for chip and runs. 8 iron works great for me on most.

Hard to waste a spot in the bag when there are so many other club options for chip and runs. 8 iron works great for me on most.
Just carry extra clubs. No problem. hehehe

I agree with this. I'm by no means a pitch and runner im more of a fly it 3/4 of the way there and spin it kind of guy but I would really like to master the pitch and run as i feel that is what would lower my scorer to even and under more consistently. It is something that is all about practice and feel. Knowing how far to carry it and how far it will run out is the key along with feel. good luck but i would say stick to the 8iron maybe go to a 7iron or 9iron.

I only have 11 clubs in my bag so I have room.
Thinking that a marxman would match the feel of my 2 ball putter as both have the white inserts.
Anyone pitch and run with a marxman chipper?

if you have room in your bag by all means carry a specialty club if it helps. For me I like bump and runs with the 8 iron over a chipper because it looks better to me at address, so in the end it's a confidence issue.

However, the chipper does promote a better swing as it resembles a putter and helps you visualize a putting stroke for chipping.

Back