Pre-Round Warm-up - No Range?

Geoff.

Reaction score
Handicap
I'm wondering what pre-round warm-up people around here do when they are at a course that does not have a range.

***Long Version*** (skip down to Short Version for the executive summary version)

Most of the courses in my area do not have a range. Those that used to sold the land and had homes built on them. So now you have to get out of your car, stretch a bit an then try to swing a driver on #1.

I find that my first shot that way it typically a dead straight, 50 yard shot that rolls through the grass, since I seem to top everything until I get warmed up. I can even tell myself to stay down 'cause you're gonna top it and I still do it.

So my fix was to practice at the range the same way I have to play. I would go to the range, stretch, takes tons of practice swings and then when I felt ready I would hit 8 to 10 driver shots before I would back down to the low irons and work my way through the bag. I go to the range 3 to 4 times a week and at first it seemed to be working. I went from drive #5 or 6 being a good drive to drive #2 or 3. Seemed like a good plan for while.

Unfortunately I ignored the warning signs my back was giving me and last week and I over rotated on the second drive of the session and knocked my back out. I finished the session (my second mistake). My back had been warning me for a few days with a build up in tightness but I shrugged it off. I was now on day 4 in a row at the range and I normally go every other day. I can be stubborn and my attitude toward injury is to play through it. End result is that I have not been able to swing a club for 8 days now and I am working with the right people to get me back out there. But recovery takes time. I slipped out to the range Tuesday after 5 days off but only manage 7 swings at 3/4 with a 9 iron before I had to call it quits.

*** Short Version***

So any advice to avoid injury but still get a good drive on par 4 first holes when there is no range?

I'm sure someone must have talked about this before, but I could not find the right key words to bring it up in a search...

Back