Pull-Hook with the Driver?

Heelz

Reaction score
Handicap
golf
Lately I have developed a nasty pull hook with my driver, this is very, very uncommon for me. Usually I hit the ball pretty straight with a slight fade is normal for me typically. I'm not having this issue with my irons at all, everything is pretty good in that department. I have tried nearly everything possible to get my tee shot with the driver back. Any drills or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.....thanks!

This is the Ask the Pro section. Please keep these threads clean until the GolfTec guys can get here to answer the original post.

Off the top of my head (partly because I saw two cases of this in the last week)... Ball position.

If the ball sneaks too forward in the stance, it can lead to what you're describing. Partly because the shoulders can get too open, causing the path to be more outside-in. Partly because the face is more closed farther into the through swing, which is where the ball effectively is when it's too far forward.

Place an alignment stick just inside your left foot perpendicular to the target line- the ball shouldn't be forward of this. And just to be safe- from this position, check your forearm alignment... it better be square to your target line.

Hope that helps,

Trevor Broesamle, PGA
GolfTEC Santa Barbara, CA

I will take a look at the ball position Trevor. Thanks for the input.

Golftec works miracles!! I will too do this!

Since the pro has had his 2 cents, I will mention that I have had this problem pop up occasionally, and it always (for me) comes back to having too much of a back swing and not enough upswing. If that makes sense. I mean that when I turn back, my hands stay too low and I turn my core as if I were standing upright and just turning on that axis. If that's not clear and you're curious let me know and I'll try and explain better.

Worked on ball position and grip a couple of days ago at the range. Made a big difference in the ball striking, out of a large bucket I only hooked maybe 3....the rest of the shots I was back to my normal light fade.

Back