Putting on lightning fast greens

dizzyg12

Reaction score
Handicap
I played on a course yesterday where greens typically roll very true and slightly faster than average. They are getting ready to aerate and must have cut and rolled the night before because these things were like glass table tops. So fast that just getting the ball rolling sent it clear past the hole. On a few occasions I went from a 5' putt from the middle of the green to now putting from off the green/fringe. They did not break whatsoever. Seems that they were so fast that the break was totally gone, everything just rolled right through it.

How do you handle that? It was a joke honestly. All we could do was laugh. 40% GIR and 6 triple jacks. I was better off by even hitting the green! Don't think I parred a single hole where I hit the green.

Could have been a solid round but laughable at an 88.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not really sure how they can be fast and not break like that since the faster the greens the more a 2% slope will break. That said be below the hole and aimpoint express with your hand basically held right in front of your eye is the way to go. I have fun when it is a 10 foot putt and you play for 6 feet of break. There is a course around here that depending on the pin location and hole you will putt off the green from above unless it goes in, zero middle ground and if you don't get the ball up a slope from in front of green you will end up with the exact same shot.

I love that kind of golf some hate it, mostly laugh it off.

The secret to putting fast greens if it's not a regular thing, is to putt off the toe. You can take a normal stroke but make contact on the toe portion of the face. The putter has to gripped a bit tight as to not allow the face to open at impact. You'll get dead roll at 30% less speed.

Interesting tip. Makes sense that would take some speed out of it.

Interesting tip. Makes sense that would take some speed out of it.

I've played a ton of 12 stemp greens with a ton of slope. It's the only way to putt down hill.

I'll give that a try, thanks!

The secret to putting fast greens if it's not a regular thing, is to putt off the toe. You can take a normal stroke but make contact on the toe portion of the face. The putter has to gripped a bit tight as to not allow the face to open at impact. You'll get dead roll at 30% less speed.
I learned that on thp in just the last couple of years. It is a great tip that not many people know of.

Definitely have to remember this.

My secret sauce is that you have to learn to love it. For the longest time my default is to hit to the back of every greens so I told myself to love downhill putts, I did. Then I started playing fast greens 12+ on the stimpM, I did.

Now those downhill fast putts are my favorite because I don't have to do much, just pick the line and stroke it. Uphill putts and slow greens on the other hand not my thing. I feel like i have to give more effort to the putting strokes.

I try to slow my tempo down. Feel like I'm putting in slow motion. Learned that from watching the pros live. Looked they were all putting in slow motion.

I always aim to try to have an uphill putt. But when that doesn't work hit off the toe like others have said.

Back