Question about shaft lengths and what that translates to in club selection

motoo344

Bearded Bandit
Reaction score
Handicap
Hope you guys can follow this.

I have a 23 degree Mashie that had the shaft splinter and I just pulled it out. I have a few extra shafts laying around now and I was thinking of experimenting with it, either throwing in a Kuro Kage or a Fubuki Ax. I have a 19 and 22 degree hybrid so a 23 doesn't really make all that much sense but is there anything I can do to make it play closer to a 5 rather than a 4? I was thinking of cutting the shaft down, will that help, its already at 40 so I was thinking about cutting it down to 39 or 38. I know a 5 irons plays somewhere in that range, maybe closer to 38. Its just an experiment, I find the Mashie easier to hit than my 5 but I am not rushing out to buy a new club so I figure I would frankenstein one lol.

You could get it bent. Not all places, but some places bend hybrids. It is usually more expensive than irons though.

Most 5 irons are around 38". Probably the biggest challenge you would face would be the lower launch potential by shortening the club two inches. Quite possibly you will see noticeable lower flight, which might negate some of the hybrid's advantages and leave you with a club that will not stop on the green.

Hope you guys can follow this.

I have a 23 degree Mashie that had the shaft splinter and I just pulled it out. I have a few extra shafts laying around now and I was thinking of experimenting with it, either throwing in a Kuro Kage or a Fubuki Ax. I have a 19 and 22 degree hybrid so a 23 doesn't really make all that much sense but is there anything I can do to make it play closer to a 5 rather than a 4? I was thinking of cutting the shaft down, will that help, its already at 40 so I was thinking about cutting it down to 39 or 38. I know a 5 irons plays somewhere in that range, maybe closer to 38. Its just an experiment, I find the Mashie easier to hit than my 5 but I am not rushing out to buy a new club so I figure I would frankenstein one lol.

23* is like a 3-iron loft. So making it a 5-iron replacement is not really recommended. You will have a huge gap between it and your 6-iron.

If you could bend it toe-in to increase the loft it may help. The length should be at 38" for a 5-iron but I'd suggest 39-39.5" in a hybrid shaft...

Thanks. The loft of my 4 iron is 24 degrees so it plays more like my four iron, hence why I thought cutting it down my shorten it.

Thanks. The loft of my 4 iron is 24 degrees so it plays more like my four iron, hence why I thought cutting it down my shorten it.
This is tough since hybrids are usually longer due to the graphite shaft (longer and better energy transfer?) and they spin less.

I'd probably use the Fubuki since it should spin more, and try to use it at 39" first and trim from there. Going to be a lot of testing, me thinks. Hopefully you have some Pure grips so you can remove and trim easily. Good luck.

This is tough since hybrids are usually longer due to the graphite shaft (longer and better energy transfer?) and they spin less.

I'd probably use the Fubuki since it should spin more, and try to use it at 39" first and trim from there. Going to be a lot of testing, me thinks. Hopefully you have some Pure grips so you can remove and trim easily. Good luck.

Its definitely just an experiment. The Mashie was busted anyway and has been sitting in my closet for a few months. I was not going to replace it so I figured I would just whip something up and it would give me practice with club building. I guess my logic was that people sometimes play shorter drivers for accuracy at the expense of distance. When it comes to my game, I struggle with 4,5,6 irons so anything that could keep it straighter and give me some distance would be great.

In reality I am not even sure if I need it. When I was fitted my three wood carry is 216 avg with 236 avg total distance

19 Degree was 190 avg with 212 avg...something like that

My 22 should be around 200.

So I was look at finding something that would put me in that 185-190 total distance.

I tend to cast and lose a lot of distance with my irons, its easier for me to hit hybrids.

23* is like a 3-iron loft. So making it a 5-iron replacement is not really recommended. You will have a huge gap between it and your 6-iron.

If you could bend it toe-in to increase the loft it may help. The length should be at 38" for a 5-iron but I'd suggest 39-39.5" in a hybrid shaft...

That's not a 3 iron loft any more.

THPing on Tapatalk

Back