Range swing and the first tee

ammac

Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
Really struggling to bring my range swing to the course. Been working on swing changes from recent lessons and my range sessions give me high expectations. Then, the first tee swing seems to zap everything I’ve rehearsed! What gives? How do you bring your range swing to the course? Whatever my mental block is, it’s sucking the life out of the game. I’ve read the books, listened to Rotella podcasts, and spend time on the mental game to no avail. What to do?

only advice i can offer

I know the feeling. I can’t replicate my range swing on the course. I hit the ball much better on the practice range.

Really struggling to bring my range swing to the course. Been working on swing changes from recent lessons and my range sessions give me high expectations. Then, the first tee swing seems to zap everything I’ve rehearsed! What gives? How do you bring your range swing to the course? Whatever my mental block is, it’s sucking the life out of the game. I’ve read the books, listened to Rotella podcasts, and spend time on the mental game to no avail. What to do?

I’d recommend trying to playing holes in your head on the range. Driver for your first shot, whatever iron or hybrid approach for your second, maybe a 30 yard pitch shot for your 3rd, and then back to a tee shot for your 4th ball. Go through the entire visualized 9 or 18 holes including pre-shot routine with each one of these range shots.

Too many golfers don’t have enough purpose on the range and are just beating balls from a flat lie or mat that doesn’t simulate course playing conditions.

I would guess adrenalin, nerves, and gripping the club with a death grip. Try loosening your grip by wiggling your fingers and then swinging.

i guess i would add that, for me, range warm up doesn't mean that i am necessarily "warmed up" so my approach to the first tee is that it is still part of the warm up and i am not just making a "kill shot" with my first game time, tee shot of the day. sometimes, it works...sometimes, it doesn't but my first piece of advice still stands.

Idk. I've often thought about this too.

I tend to think that my range swing, and course swing stay pretty much the same. Why wouldn't they. That, when on the course, golf becomes more of a mental/visual, more decisions type thing. That, when on the course, you have one swing at hitting the shot needed at that time.

On the range there's much wider landing areas that can mask poor ball flights. No hazards to think about. No multiple back to back swings with the same club that produce both good, and not so good ball flights. Range balls that don't fly like the golfer's gamers. Probably a bunch of other things.

What changes during on course play are the ball lie conditions, hitting one ball at a time, with a few minutes pause between each shot. This, while using different clubs, and of course, smallish landing areas during on course play.

In essence, in many ways, the golfer's on course playing conditions are usually way different than their practice range conditions.

Your likely relaxed on the range with no expectation of outcome. The question is how do you get that same feeling on the first tee.

Tell yourself that you are going to give yourself a "breakfast ball." Make your first swing like you are going to get another chance. It might relax you. [don't actually hit a breakfast ball or take a mulligan. That can backfire]

It has taken me nearly two seasons to be able to handle the first shot off the tee at my home course.
Trees on the right and deep unplayable rough on the left. If the mowers don't keep up the first cut of rough can be a couple inches deep.
Last time out I nearly lost the ball even though I set down my bag just five feet away before I started looking.

I learned to hit a low draw to keep it out of the trees.

My take on this is that at the range you are pretty relaxed and you also make minor adjustments to dial in your expected ball flight. You don't have the opportunity to do that on the course and you tend to revert back to your ingrained prior swing faults. I struggle with the same problem. Maybe more actual play time will eventually smooth things out.

Your likely relaxed on the range with no expectation of outcome. The question is how do you get that same feeling on the first tee.
This is exactly the issue. I don’t have my signature info, but for reference, my index is 5.4. I don’t know when this became an issue, but it’s most prevalent with my tee swing. Iron play and short game are keeping me alive. Definitely have swing trust issues.
Yes, the range has no consequences and I’m more relaxed. My course has plenty of hazards and my mind knows where all of them are lurking!

For me it’s mental. I know that. I know why it is. I just have to convince myself otherwise. I don’t listen to myself. :LOL:

How do you bring your range swing to the course?

Consider rephrasing the question to become "how do you bring the course swing to the range?"
For example, when on the range with a driver in your hand picture a tee shot on the course, including the target you want to hit on that particular hole. This brings the heat/pressure you feel on the course to the range. And for your next range swing imagine the second shot you have for the hole you are playing. If it's a 7-iron see the green and the flag stick and make your swing as though you were actually on the golf course.

I have the same problem, but it will show up in any part of my game. I'll hit some really good shots at the range and then on the course my swing turns into hot garbage. I think part of my issue is that on the range I'm just picking a target and swinging, while on the course I'm playing more for an outcome. That leads to thoughts about hazards, bunkers, which shot leaves an opportunity to still have a chance at par, etc. The other part is that on the range I'm hitting multiple shots back to back with the same club. No worries about mis-hits.

I'm interested in the replies to this thread to see what others do to practice and take that to the course.

I’d recommend trying to playing holes in your head on the range. Driver for your first shot, whatever iron or hybrid approach for your second, maybe a 30 yard pitch shot for your 3rd, and then back to a tee shot for your 4th ball. Go through the entire visualized 9 or 18 holes including pre-shot routine with each one of these range shots.

Too many golfers don’t have enough purpose on the range and are just beating balls from a flat lie or mat that doesn’t simulate course playing conditions.

I'm going to try this the next time I go to the range. I typically just pick a target and hit the ball at that target with the same club until I feel like I'm hitting good consistent shots. I've always felt like I improve more when I actually play, versus just spending hours at the range. Also sounds like this would be more fun than what I currently do.

There are no penalty's and score doesn't count on the range! It is a really hard thing to accomplish. I try to warm up less now and i play better i feel. No more large buckets before the round lol. You will settle in the more you do it.

Consider rephrasing the question to become "how do you bring the course swing to the range?"
For example, when on the range with a driver in your hand picture a tee shot on the course, including the target you want to hit on that particular hole. This brings the heat/pressure you feel on the course to the range. And for your next range swing imagine the second shot you have for the hole you are playing. If it's a 7-iron see the green and the flag stick and make your swing as though you were actually on the golf course.
Great suggestion. This was suggested in an earlier response and I’ve heard it before but never tried this on the range. I’ll certainly give it a go the next time out. However, since I’m trying to implement swing changes, my range time has been very technical to feel. I keep thinking repetition will overcome course jitters. Unfortunately, it’s bigger than just jitters. It’s all trust!

Most everyone I know says the same thing. Hit it well on the range, and not so well on the course. The only thing we could come up with is that it's a mental thing...no matter how subtle, it's there.

Great suggestion. This was suggested in an earlier response and I’ve heard it before but never tried this on the range. I’ll certainly give it a go the next time out. However, since I’m trying to implement swing changes, my range time has been very technical to feel. I keep thinking repetition will overcome course jitters. Unfortunately, it’s bigger than just jitters. It’s all trust!

Using the same pre shot routine on the range as you do on the golf course is helpful. I think first a pre shot routine should include the method which one uses to step into his/her address posture/stance. Second the pre shot routine should include a swing trigger such as deep breaths, hovering the club head behind the ball, waggles, tapping the feet to the ground, forward press or whatever one likes to do to avoid a static/stagnant,/frozen type address position.
If you have a pre shot routine for the golf course it is good to use that exact same routine while playing driving range shots.

Range is warm up for the body and focus so i treat it as that. there is no pressure on hitting a bad shot when you have countless dozen more to hit or still have the same distance available with no trouble. I like to close out my final 6 or so with hole situations, one time with club and make it count. After i leave the range i hope body is warm and a slight bead of sweat that allows me to know i am ready without doing too much...

Focus on club path, placement and motion and that should help transition more than hey i hit this shot sooo well on the range. at least that is the purpose of my range.

Try taking a less aggressive cut at the ball on the first tee. Relax, swing smooth and controlled

Back