Re-lengthening shaft?

neel88

Reaction score
Handicap
My apoligises if this topic has been posted before.

I have a Taylormade R11S Regular Flex driver that I recently had trimmed by 1/2 an inch from the butt end about a few months ago. I was hitting it pretty far with the stock shaft but with a couple more wayward shows than I would like per round, so had it shortened to gain better control at the expense of some distance.

I thought I would gain accuracy from the tee, but I have infact sprayed the ball (left and right) more with the shorter shaft, had a noticeable lower launch angle thus losing quite a bit of distance. I have tried to add weights and lead tape but I just can't get the right feel for it anymore.

Would re-lengthening the shaft back to its stock length be advisable?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Assuming that it was butt trimmed instead of tip trimmed, your plans for lengthening (via extending the butt end) would have minimal effects to the flex and "feel" of the club.

Assuming that it was butt trimmed instead of tip trimmed, your plans for lengthening (via extending the butt end) would have minimal effects to the flex and "feel" of the club.

Thanks for the response. Do you mean it will have minimal effects from the shortened staff, thus not worth lengthening?

You can lengthen back to standard length and it will play same as it did before shortening.

I've been advised by builders in the past, that you shouldn't extend graphite more than 1.5" to 2". So you're fine if it's only .5".

Thanks for the help guys, much appreciated :)

You can lengthen back to standard length and it will play same as it did before shortening.

This ^^^^. Just use as little of the extension as possible inside the shaft to cut down on the amount of weight added. Doing anything to the butt end does nothing to the flex of the shaft, it just changes the balance point and the swing weight a little, but don't get caught up in that. Most will never feel the difference.

Thanks for the response. Do you mean it will have minimal effects from the shortened staff, thus not worth lengthening?

This ^^^^. Just use as little of the extension as possible inside the shaft to cut down on the amount of weight added. Doing anything to the butt end does nothing to the flex of the shaft, it just changes the balance point and the swing weight a little, but don't get caught up in that. Most will never feel the difference.

What he said.
You can buy extension plugs made specifically for the diameter of you butt end. Alternatively you can cut down and epoxy any broken shaft you might have laying around.

Last edited:
You may have altered the swing weight just enough to throw off your timing. Most people don't notice it and can adjust to the small change but it seems like you haven't yet. I would keep using the club and get used to the timing. Another possible reason is that since you made the shaft a tad lighter (again most won't notice the diff) you could try adding lead tape just below where the grip meets the shaft.

Always keep in mind that when you cut a shaft you make it lighter to the club head.

As others have stated, cutting from the butt end there shouldn't be much is any effect on the flex.

Good luck.

Back