Recommendations for new iron set

Ncjro29

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I am looking for recommendations on a new iron set. I am not very good and have not been playing for too long. My 18 hole Average is around 90-95 but I'm not very consistent. I currently use the 2008 big Bertha and am looking for an upgrade. Distance is not an issue for me As I hit the ball pretty far. I know practice is going to make my game better And consistent over anything but I'm hoping to find irons That helps as well. All of the game improvement irons I review seem to focus mostly on distance.I'm open for any recommendations and help. Thank you

So many good iron sets out there.

Check out Cobra KING SpeedZone
Callaway Mavrik Max
Cleveland UHX
Mizuno 919 Hot Metal

A number of others too, that offer a great blend of forgiveness and performance.

So many good iron sets out there.

Check out Cobra KING SpeedZone
Callaway Mavrik Max
Cleveland UHX
Mizuno 919 Hot Metal

A number of others too, that offer a great blend of forgiveness and performance.
Thanks, that's helpful. I'm considering buying on Callaway pre owned. Are there any callaways from the last year two that you would recommend? I like the rouges but I have heard mixed things.

Thanks, that's helpful. I'm considering buying on Callaway pre owned. Are there any callaways from the last year two that you would recommend? I like the rouges but I have heard mixed things.

Huge amounts of reviews in each of those threads.
I would check those threads out on each iron set you have interest in.

What is it that you don't like about your Big Bertha irons? They are game improvement irons with older technology. It would be best to get an iron fitting to see what improvements you would get with newer technology. What is holding you back from shooting in the 80's? If you already have good distance, you probably don't need a players distance iron.

First of all, since no one else took the time, I'll say, "Welcome to THP!"

As far as the irons, don't overlook Srixon. CPO has a couple of sets of the Z565 and Z585 and the Srixon irons are a great way to go.

Lot of great sets out there. but is only part of the equation. Don't overlook getting the proper shaft, lie angle etc. Highly suggest you get fitted.

Can't say it enough here. Try before you buy and try as many as you can. And get fitted if your budget allows. Invariably, I have been pleasantly surprised by some irons and disappointed by others I was sure I would like.

A bigger profile club that has a ton of forgiveness and help for golfers would be the Turbo Launchers.

I also think you should look at the Apex19 irons. I think they are plenty forgiving for you to consider. You’ll get great looks and feel, technology and playability in a reasonably smaller profile.

Callaway preowned is/was running a 25% off sale. That was on top of already listed sales prices.

A couple things I didn’t see mentioned:
What’s your budget?
Are you focused on new or used?
What’s your goal? Consistency 87-90, 84-86, 81-84?
Do you have plans for lessons?
Do you have time dedicated to practice?
Have you spent time charting your round? Fairways, greens, putts, penalty strokes, slice / draw
You say distance isn’t a problem, what is average distance with a 7i? Yardage difference between short/long?
Are you a high or low/ball hitter?
What range are you comfortable getting on the green 4/5 shots?

I love new equipment as much as anyone, but if you are shooting in the mid-90s, your best ROI is practice. Get a lesson from a pro and get a consistent swing and get rid of bad habits. Then short game get good at up and downs.

Focus on a good mental game: safe strategies, avoid hazards, knowing your misses. Do you have someone better than you that you can play with and get advice?
Many people that shoot mid-90s take a lot of gimmies, mulligans, don’t count penalties and are really shooting 100+. If one is having fun and doesn’t care, neither do I. If your goal is improving, I recommend practice to see what you want to improve with your irons, then get irons to meet your needs.

But golf is an industry that thrives off selling something to make you better without working at it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back