Removing rust from wedges

Oregon Golfer

#XBomb
Reaction score
Handicap
My 48* black pearl CG16 wedge had become rusty. Both on the cavity and on the face. Some people don't mind rust but I like to keep my clubs shiny and clean.

Today I was cleaning my clubs and grips and when I went to get my sponge I use to clean my grips from under the sink I saw a container of Bar Keeper's Friend and noticed that it said "Removes Rust" on the container. Light bulb!

I used the Bar Keeper's Friend with a wet washcloth on the wedge and within 30 seconds of scrubbing almost all of the rust was gone and the club was shiny again. I really can't believe how well this worked and wanted to share it with everyone else. I don't think I would use it on my irons but wedges are fine.

300.jpg

Nice find man, coke does wonders as well. I personally like the rust look since it keeps the glare away and it just looks mean lol.

Thats pretty awesome. I always coke mine about once a month, I love the matte grey finish it gives it.

That's a really cool solution. Like the other guys said, coke will do it too. Basically any reducing agent, since rust is simply oxidation. Redox reactions ftw! I've never had a wedge rust though. I feel like I would kind of like it.

That's a really cool solution. Like the other guys said, coke will do it too. Basically any reducing agent, since rust is simply oxidation. Redox reactions ftw! I've never had a wedge rust though. I feel like I would kind of like it.

I like it so much back when the VR Forged wedges came out as soon as I took my Black OX one out of the wrapper I soaked it in some salt water to speed up the process lol. For some reason I just really like the look of a rusted wedge.

Wonder if it would work on my Jeep?

I'll try the coke on my old hand-me-down clubs and if it doesn't do the job I'll try the product.

spazzdog

Yeah chemistry for the winnings :)
Going to be writing some redox equations soon :)
(ch2 exam with wjec as the exam board)

Oxygen is generally -2 but can be - 1 in peroxide :) ....

This is why I took chemistry and maths :-
To calculate how crap my distance is :)
And how to mess with my putter using an reducing agent and TNT :)

Will this ruin my shinny (but rusty)
Black finish circa 62 no .2 ?

Sent from my HTC Desire S using Tapatalk 2

Question:
Do you have to soak the club in coke, or just wipe on and off? I have a rusty vokey that I would like to clean up.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Interesting. I also like the rust look. but I will definatley keep this in mind if i ever want to remove some of the rust.

CLR works great

What about a black oxide finish. How do I clean rust off without hurting the finish?

You can use a Scotchbrite pad to remove rust too. I personally never undestood why anyone would want any of their clubs to rust. Rust also means the grooves are rusting away and losing their edge, so you get less spin.

You can use a Scotchbrite pad to remove rust too. I personally never undestood why anyone would want any of their clubs to rust. Rust also means the grooves are rusting away and losing their edge, so you get less spin.

Rust doesn't eat the metal, it forms on top of it. It provides some surface texture, and some claim extra spin.

Rust doesn't eat the metal, it forms on top of it. It provides some surface texture, and some claim extra spin.

Not really on top of. Rust is oxidation. Oxidation of the molecules, in this case the surface molecules. So not really on top of the wedge, but rather on the surface. And it will go deeper into the metal over time. It would just take a long time.

I used Coke... Dumped a couple cans in a big coffee tin, stuck 2-3 clubs (at a time) in to soak for about 5 min, pulled them out and scrubbed with wire brush, then moved them into a bucket of warm soapy water, wipe dry.

My 25+ yr old clubs looked almost new.

What about a black oxide finish. How do I clean rust off without hurting the finish?
The black oxide on the J40 wedges are designed to rust. However, to slow down the process, make sure you dry them off after each shot and always keep them dry. IMO, dont fight the process on the black oxide, the wear on those are a thing of beauty!

The black oxide on the J40 wedges are designed to rust. However, to slow down the process, make sure you dry them off after each shot and always keep them dry. IMO, dont fight the process on the black oxide, the wear on those are a thing of beauty!

heck yeah. I'm not fighting that process one bit. Bring on the rust.

Rust doesn't eat the metal, it forms on top of it.
Not true. Rust DOES eat away at the metal. Where do you think the rust holes in the bodies of old cars come from?
It provides some surface texture, and some claim extra spin.
Those people are wrong. There has never been ANY proof that rust causes more spin, infact it causes less spin because it eats away at the grooves.

Rust does not add spin, only thing it does is help eliminate the glare and plus it makes the wedge unique and I love a rusted wedge!!! There are a lot of people that say/think it adds spin but it does not.

Not true. Rust DOES eat away at the metal. Where do you think the rust holes in the bodies of old cars come from?

Those people are wrong. There has never been ANY proof that rust causes more spin, infact it causes less spin because it eats away at the grooves.

Though, just so people don't freak out, this process takes a long time to notice.

There was a old thread on this, and i put before and after pictures and CLR works phenomenal!! This is good to know aswell, i will have to try it out next time aswell!

Thanks for the post

Back