Right shoulder dive: Old Man shakes fist at sky

darthweasel

Reaction score
Handicap
I was humming along, very happy. Club path inside out varying from 1 to 3 degrees 80% of the time with club face within that same range. Consistently a reasonable, very playable miss.

Being an old man I then suffered a shoulder injury/ What was it? Nobody knows...woke up one morning with my arm bothering me, 4 days later went to urgent care, he checks it out, says "yep, you are hurting, come back in a month"

And he must have known what he was talking about because three weeks later it started feeling better, a month later I was back to swinging. Okay, whatever.

Except my old problem, my death move as it were, is to dive with the right shoulder first leading to a severely out to in path...like, I saw a 15.5 outside in the other night on a particularly miserable swing. On a completely unrelated note, I might hit 2 or 3 balls that land in a reasonable circle, then put one 50 yards left with a nine iron, make a minor correction and put it 50 yards right.

Before the injury my swing thought was to hit the third dimple left of center. Now to get a swing path that varies from about 2.6 outside in to 5.5 inside out, and generally a really closed clubface, I am looking at the nine o clock on a clock face...like, really exaggerated. .

I took a couple videos and I am back to that right shoulder dive I had worked so hard at. Gone back to the "ringing the bell" drill to not have the right shoulder dive first but something changed in that month.

Basically, anyone have any drills specifically to get the right shoulder to hang back and not start that death move? Golf is really, really hard when a 150 yard club has a 100 yard left to right miss...need to tighten it up a bit.

From what little bit I know, and this could absolutely awful advice, I'd try to keep my back to the target as long as possible in the downswing. Maybe use a thought of keeping the back of your right shoulder to the target longer.

Gone back to the "ringing the bell" drill to not have the right shoulder dive first but something changed in that month.

Basically, anyone have any drills specifically to get the right shoulder to hang back and not start that death move? Golf is really, really hard when a 150 yard club has a 100 yard left to right miss...need to tighten it up a bit.

What bell you ringing, church or ship.

bell.png

Have you played basketball or baseball? If so you will be familiar with rotator cuff stretches. Before you can make swing changes to correct your swing fault, your shoulders and both humerus need to easily rotate inwards and outwards with the shoulder blades gliding across the ribcage without lifting.

Have you played basketball or baseball? If so you will be familiar with rotator cuff stretches. Before you can make swing changes to correct your swing fault, your shoulders and both humerus need to easily rotate inwards and outwards with the shoulder blades gliding across the ribcage without lifting.

arguably too much and too long. Not to mention tennis, racquetball, wallyball, volleyball and a few others.

Plus I blew out my left shoulder cuff 15 or 16 years ago. That was...fun. :cool:

After two days of just...brutal contact, brutal distances, brutal directions, went a third day with my camera set up and took a couple videos...but of course things were back to normal. Solid contact, reasonable misses, reasonable direction. Grr.

Nov 2020...old man slipped on snow covered gravel and landed on right shoulder. By next day, it was locked up.

Went to my wife's PT. She got me into a stretch band and pulley system routine with other stretches thrown in. She told me, if you do this, everyday, for the rest of your life, you will have better shoulder mobility than before the fall. I added straight arm planks, hip stretches and a balance routine.

She told me, man was not built to sit for long hours with the arms outstretched for driving and keyboard use.

Can't believe how much better I feel. Has the golf improved....a little...but its not getting worse due to aging.

Nov 2020...old man slipped on snow covered gravel and landed on right shoulder. By next day, it was locked up.

Went to my wife's PT. She got me into a stretch band and pulley system routine with other stretches thrown in. She told me, if you do this, everyday, for the rest of your life, you will have better shoulder mobility than before the fall. I added straight arm planks, hip stretches and a balance routine.

She told me, man was not built to sit for long hours with the arms outstretched for driving and keyboard use.

Can't believe how much better I feel. Has the golf improved....a little...but its not getting worse due to aging.

no doubt when I do the yoga inspired stretches there is...well, while doing them vastly MORE pain, but later less. It is that mental block of pushing past the moments of anguish lol

arguably too much and too long. Not to mention tennis, racquetball, wallyball, volleyball and a few others.

Plus I blew out my left shoulder cuff 15 or 16 years ago. That was...fun. :cool:
There will be scar tissue that needs to be continuously kept supple. You know the drill.

no doubt when I do the yoga inspired stretches there is...well, while doing them vastly MORE pain, but later less. It is that mental block of pushing past the moments of anguish lol
At first my PT determined nothing was broken or torn. Just swollen from the contact. She did tell me to take it easy at first. Just push gradually until it just started to hurt then back off. And got me stretching both sides.

She told me repetition is the thing that will keep the joint moving.

Back