Road to the Victory Cup with bsbmike5 - Post Round Break Downs & Updates

bsbmike5

2024 Victory Cup with Mizuno #TeamVosh
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
EDIT: Decided instead of creating new threads for every round, I'm going to keep adding to this. I'll post all my rounds and include some practice and things I'm working on along the way so this thread can lead us all the was to the Victory Cup in September.
Thanks for following along!

I wanted to start a fun forum series on here (mostly for myself, but for entertainment for all of you as well) breaking down my tournament rounds throughout the season, as I lead up to the 2024 Victory Cup. My GHIN is currently sitting at a 3.0, and I have a decently full schedule of tournament play. I hope you guys have fun along the way with me, and although I may choose to ignore it, offer some advice and banter. :ROFLMAO:

Sometimes I’ll have some good scores and sometimes I won’t, but I’ll enjoy posting them all the same. I’ve always been one to go through shot by shot and recall my day, and this is a great avenue for me to do so. I really hope you all enjoy it and provide feedback on how I can make it better along the way.

I went down the rabbit hole this off season with DECADE golf by Scott Fawcett. I like a lot of the concepts that he explains and I’m excited to see where it can take my game as we go through the season. If anyone’s interested in my stats from when I input my round, let me know!

My first tournament round has historically been…well…not so pleasant. I’ve seen it as high as mid 90’s, but this round is usually the one to shake the rust off and kick start the year. Our first round of 2024 brings us to Country Club of New Bedford with my PGA friend Brendon for a NEPGA Pro-AM. Being a former PGA pro, it’s always nice to be playing back in events with the NEPGA. Format is 2 best balls, 1 net 1 gross and can’t be the same ball. I’ll be posting my scores along the way but will include a screenshot of where we ended up at the end.

CCNB is a classic Donald Ross design in New England and hosts a pretty epic fourball tournament every summer. Full history can be read here: https://www.ccnb.golf/about/history

This off season I’ve given myself a lot of range time. I have an outdoor range and an indoor trackman studio that I use on my breaks from work. I started going more consistently about 4 weeks ago. The short game and putting were the areas of my game I hadn’t worked on a ton heading into this round.

Now onto the round!

Hole #1 – Par 4 – 341 yards

I have good history with this hole, birding it the only other time I’ve played here. It’s a pretty straight forward short par 4, with a gentle turn to the left. No matter how big or small of an event I’m playing in I’ll always have the flutters getting ready to tee off #1. I’ve always said the day that goes away will be the day I stop trying to play competitive golf. I hit a solid driver down the middle (269 yards) leaving myself 71 yards to the pin. It was a middle pin and a really comfortable number for me. The theme of the day starts right now because I pushed my second shot right and left myself 24 feet pin high for birdie. I hit what I thought was a solid putt to 3 feet and cleaned up my par. No harm no foul and we’re off and running.

E thru 1

Hole #2 – Par 4 – 382 Yards

Number 2 starts a trend for CCNB of blind tee shots. You look straight over a rock and some cart path. Number 2 takes a sharp right turn about 250 yards from the tee into a slight uphill approach. I recently started gaming the new MINI Driver instead of 3 wood, and I hit a decent one here to the fat part of the fairway to leave 132 in. The pin was on the left side of the green and I felt like this set up well for my natural shot shape of a draw (well typically at least!). I hit a solid PW to pin high, just off the green 42 feet away. Like I said, the right trend will continue. I hit a good chip that ran out to 8 feet and just missed for a tap in bogey.

+1 thru 2

Hole #3 – Par 4 – 371 Yards

A bit of a funky hole, number 3 plays downhill and dog legs right. The bend in the fairway is about 230 yards from the tee and leaves a short-ish approach downhill. There really is no room for me to take driver over the trees, so I decided to hit my 17* UW. I hit it solid and just squeaked into the right rough, 122 yards out. Unfortunately, I had a choice of whether to thread the needle about the trees or try and punch one down in front of the green. I went with the later option. I caught some pine branches and fell 65 yards out from the green. I hit an okay wedge to 25 feet, gave it a decent run and made a bogey.

+2 thru 3

Hole #4 – Par 5 – 518 Yards

The only par 5 on the golf course, this is another blind tee shot, straight up hill, and a dog leg right. If you go aggressively up the right side you can go for this one in 2, but plenty of room left to “bail out” on the tee shot. I hit a driver 253 yards into the left rough that left me 274 out. I laid up to 95 yards with a long iron. It was another really comfortable number for me but had a repeat of earlier and it just leaked right on me. I wasn’t upset with having 15 ft, but it drifted more than I expected. Gave it a solid run to 2 feet and cleaned up for par.

+2 thru 4

Hole #5 – Par 4 – 459 Yards

The longest and most challenging par 4 on the course. There is OB right, but it takes a pretty bad shot to find it. I hit a hooky driver that got super lucky and found the middle of the FW off of a tree and left me 185 in. The wind was dead into and I hit one of if not my best strike of the day with a 5 iron to 38 feet. Not the closest shot, but the strike and flight I was super pleased with. The pin was back right and I was top of a pretty severe slope. Although it snuck right by the lip I left myself 6 feet coming back and missed for a good ole 3PB.

+3 thru 5

Hole #6 – Par 4 – 370 Yards

I really enjoy this hole. It’s relatively short and plays downhill, but it gives you so many options with OB left and right off the tee. You can go as aggressive as you want to leave a wedge, but I love the risk reward style of a hole. I hit a really necky driver that went 269 yards to leave 96 yards from the right side of the fairway. Like we mentioned on #5 96 yards is a green light special kind of number, and I hit one of the worst shots of the day. I ended up just short right of the green 39 ft from the hole in the rough…pitiful. I chipped it to 15ft, and although I hit a good putt, missed it and carded a bogey. A real bad error on an easier hole from a great position.

+4 thru 6

Hole #7 – Par 3 – 184 Yards

#7 is the first par 3 we see of a day that’s filled with a whole lot of Par 4’s. A 2 tiered green this pin was at the basin of the lower level front left. My pro Brendon lipped the cup (pause?) on his tee shot that landed about 20 feet right and trundled down. I hit my shot with a 7 iron about 5 yards right of his spot, and left myself with a brutal putt down the slope 36 feet. A solid shot I was happy with, but not the easiest result. I was left with either running it by and having an uphill chance for par, or possibly getting too cute and still having a ski slope to navigate. I ended up having 12 feet back uphill, and missed for my second 3PB.

+5 thru 7

Hole #8 – Par 4 – 384 Yards

8 brings us yet another uphill and blind tee shot. A straightaway par 4 with a bunker looming about 280 off the tee. Now was the time to start stringing pars together and keep the wheels on. Though, I was very pleased with my mental scorecard so far. I hit driver and wiped it right into the trees, but had a pretty decent window 152 yards out. I hit a low punchy 8 iron perfectly and left myself a 14 foot putt that didn’t have much movement on it. We all deliberated over how much break there was, and it moved just a little more right than we thought. But we will happily take a ho-hum par at this point.

+5 thru 8

Hole #9 – Par 4 – 421 yards

Finally not a blind tee shot!!! 9 has a gentle dog left left and I hit one of if not my best drive of the day. I had 141 in with a solid 9 iron, but had my trend of the rights come into play and dumped it into a greenside bunker. My bunker shot definitely got the best of me. I was not committed and super nervous about blading it, and well, chunked it about 20 feet into the rough. Unforced error for sure and I paid for it with a chip to 13 ft and a double to close out the front.

+7 thru 9

FRONT 9: I didn’t feel like I struck it all that bad at this point. I didn’t give myself any breaks with making putts (20 putts thru 9), but overall I wasn’t super upset with where I was at. It felt like small adjustments rather than big issues that were killing me. Onto the back 9 (or second nine if you’re Augusta National).

Attachments

• 1713469360924.png
    1713469360924.png
    19 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:
Hole #10 – Par 4 – 392 Yards

Really not much to describe this par 4, it’s a blah straightaway par 4 with not a log of character. I hit an okay driver down the right and left myself 146 yards. I felt like I could find some redemption here having the same shot that I just had on 9. And what did I do? Dumped it right into the rough, UGH. Pin high was the good news, and I had good distance control all day, but man these rights were killing me. We got that out of our mind ASAP and locked in for a pretty important chip to start this back 9. I hit a perfect runner to 3 feet and saved a par, nice!

+7 thru 10

Hole #11 – Par 4 – 408 Yards

If you wanted to know if I had one mulligan where would I use it? It’s the tee shot on 11. 11 is a dog leg right that really requires a cut off the tee, especially the further you go. There is OB left and it creeps in fast. I hit a dead pull towards the OB, but luckily stayed up. I was against a tree and my only option was to flip over a 6 iron and hit it left-handed. Or take an unplayable, which looking back (hindsight is always 20/20) I should have done. While I was “successful” it only traveled about 52 feet leaving me a “swing and pray” shot out of a bush. I got it into the rough 146 out for my 4th shot. Now I don’t know if I wasn’t fully engaged or if my mind wandered, but I chunked 2 shots in a row and eventually found the surface with my 6th shot. 2 putt from 10 feet and we carded a lovely snowman quad. Woof. But I will say again, old Mike would have raged out there and taken himself out of the rest of the round, but I was proud of how quickly I put 11 behind me.

+11 thru 11

Hole 12 – Par 4 – 385 Yards

Number 12 is a hole I’ve always enjoyed. It’s a downhill short par 4 that couldn’t have come at a better time to get my round back on track. I hit a solid driver leaving myself 136. I decided to hit a knockdown iron to try and change the vibe of my approach shots and hit one right at it, 18 feet above the hole. My partner Brendon was about 2 feet outside and gave me a good look. I lipped out, but hey, we stopped the bleeding with a par. Time to finish these last 6 strong!

+11 thru 12

Hole 13 – Par 4 – 329 Yards

Think of 13 as a shorter version of 12 with a slightly more protected green. Another downhill straightaway par 4, I definitely tried to load up to have a flip wedge in, and proceeded to snap hook it into the trees down the left. Although I had a window, the best I could do from 147 was to leave it just in front of the green. But this left me my easiest chip of the day uphill. I put it to 4 feet and slammed that par putt home. Another par!

+11 thru 13

Hole 14 – Par 4 – 402 Yards

Similar to 11 this dogleg right just doesn’t settle well with me as a draw-er of the golf ball, and I hit it MILES left into the middle of 16. I had 189 to the pin, and said “just get it back on the right hole”. I definitely set my expectations too low on this shot, and paid for it with putting it in the bunker (you guessed it) RIGHT. I gave myself a pep talk to commit to this bunker shot and I hit it okay. 18 feet to the hole, and 2 putts later we found another bogey.

+12 thru 14

Hole #15 – Par 3 – 133 Yards

I’m a sucker for a good short par 3. I think the long par 3 can typically be a lazy design, but to make a tough short 3 is a real skill of a designer, and Donald Ross is pretty damn good at it. 15 is an uphill par 3 with a postage tamp of a green that has a severe fall off in front. And bunkers short right, left and long. It takes a really precise shot. I hit a perfect PW to 7 feet and was feeling damn good! Took some extra time here and I really wanted to capitalize, but sadly missed and added yet another par.

+12 thru 15

Hole 16 – Par 4 – 331 Yards

Hole 16 is a great back to back hole off of 15. A short driveable par 4 with a plethora of options. I elected driver and hit it solid (275) but missed it slightly left. Enough left, where I chipped it to in front of the green for what I thought would be an easy-ish up and down. I hit my chip really well on my spot and the ball went rolling, rolling and in for a birdie! Finally the monkey was off the back and we were in business!

+11 thru 16

Hole #17 – Par 3 – 199 Yards

A truly diabolical par 3. 17 is slightly downhill but has water short, left and long with trees looming on the right-hand side. I felt good coming off my chip in and locked in for a really important hole to finish strong. I hit a full 7 iron that never left the flagstick the entire flight. Ended up 4 feet from the cup, and probably my best shot of the day. Knocked it in and we’ve gone back-to-back. Pretty sure I asked my cart partner at this point if we could start over for the day.

+10 thru 17

Hole 18 – Par 4 – 422 Yards

A really solid finishing hole. 18 is a slight dog leg left from the tee with an uphill approach (and a parking lot long!). Hit my tee shot down the left, and had 155 in. For the final time today, I put my approach shot pin high and *say it with me now* RIGHT. Hit what I thought was a really good chip, but it zipped by to 18 feet. Put a lot of effort into this one, but sadly ended the day with a bogey. But I was proud of finishing out even after the snowman on 11.

FINAL +11 - 81

Post Round:
I felt like this was honestly one of the better first tournament rounds I’ve played. I know the scoring wasn’t the best, but my distances were really good with irons, and my chipping was above what I expected after not giving it much effort. My focus felt like if I can hone in the driver a little, check my irons alignment, and improve the putting then I’ll be right on track. My next event is the RIGA 4 Ball Championship on May 7 and 8th. Thanks for following along and welcome to the Road to the Victory Cup.

TEAM:
View attachment 9258438

I enjoyed reading about your first tourny of the year and this thread will be good for the odds makers for THP events. Your extensive tournament experience should prove very valuable in a THP experience. Look forward to following your path to the Victory Cup.

nice read got to get out there

That was fun, thanks for sharing it!

Nice recap - well done with the back to back birdies late in the round!

Oh - and I can’t wait for the Victory Cup preview show where @JDax handicaps a former PGA pro into the mix!

Nice write up. Im sure you’ll get your game tuned up and ready for the Victory Cup. Which team did you pick? I may need to place an early wager. 😁

see you there

I enjoyed reading about your first tourny of the year and this thread will be good for the odds makers for THP events. Your extensive tournament experience should prove very valuable in a THP experience. Look forward to following your path to the Victory Cup.
I'll take any advantage I can get going into it. I know I'll be blown away by everything happening, so hopefully my tournament play will help me focus in when tees go in the ground!

Oh - and I can’t wait for the Victory Cup preview show where @JDax handicaps a former PGA pro into the mix!
Just trying to throw wrenches into the mix :ROFLMAO:

Nice write up. Im sure you’ll get your game tuned up and ready for the Victory Cup. Which team did you pick? I may need to place an early wager. 😁

see you there
Can't freakin wait!

Road to the Victory Cup with bsbmike5 - Tournament Preview – RIGA 4 Ball Championship – May 7th and 8th

The next tournament for me on my Road to the Victory Cup is 2 weeks away and is the Rhode Island Golf Association (RIGA) 4 Ball Championship. Wanted to provide a preview on the tournament, the courses and what I’m working on heading into the rounds.

The RIGA 4 Ball is a 36-hole competition. 2-man teams play 18 each day, best ball of the 2, gross only, no net division.

I am definitively the B player of my team, with my partner boasting a +0.9 GHIN index. He was a very accomplished division 3 golfer and racked up quite the resume over his 4 years. He was elected to his college’s hall of fame and brought his team to 4 consecutive GNAC Championships.

My partner and I feel like we are in a prime position to make some noise in this tournament. Neither of us have played in it before but have been paired together in AM tournaments a couple of times and seem to jive well on the course. One of my goals this year is to accumulate enough player of the year points to get into the top 30 so I auto qualify for the state AM next year and this could be a great way to start the RIGA season.

The last 3 years the winning scores have been -13, -11 and -9. Being under par has put teams into the top 20. With a goal of accumulating points, I think we will put ourselves in a contending position, and we both have the ability to get hot and go low.

The Courses

Rhode Island Country Club

RICC is in Barrington, RI and is a Donald Ross design (we tend to have a lot of those up here). Holes 1-14 weave through wooded areas and have more of a parkland feel. 15-18 cross the street and provide a great view of Narragansett Bay to finish the round. It is always a top-rated course in the state, was the host of the CVS charity classic which ran from 1999-2019 and saw top professionals come through every year: from Jack, Arnie, Freddy and Nick Faldo to modern day stars like Rory, Rickie, Bubba and crowd favorite Keegan Bradley. The tournament would also incorporate stars from the Champions Tour and LPGA. It has also hosted 4 USGA championships.

RICC is typically always in great shape, and once the summertime hits gets a real fast and firm feel. I’m sure early May will bring some more benign conditions, but I imagine the greens will be running hot. And Donald Ross greens are tricky even on a slow day. This course is a par 71 stretching to 6,801 yards.

Potowomut Golf Club

“Poto” as the locals call it originated as an Indian campsite and was then developed into a dairy farm. The land was purchased in 1945, and was transformed from farmlands with a barn, into a golf course with a clubhouse. Not the longest golf course with average par 4 at 380 and average par 5 at 490, I imagine scoring will be low for the elite groups here. Also, the 4 time and back-to-back champions grew up and were both members here at one time. They have qualified multiple times for the USGA 4 Ball, and I could easily see a low 60’s number come from them.

This course is really a “middle of the pack” course in my rankings in the state. It’s fine, but it’s nothing to write home about. 14-18 is a fun stretch. A downhill short par 4, par 5 that’s getable, a nasty uphill par 3, and then back-to-back par 4’s to bring us home, with 18 requiring a layup off the tee and an uphill shot in the green.

My Game

For those of you who read my first post round breakdown, you know I talked about driving and putting not feeling great, and in a whole my touch needing to get a little better. My range sessions have and will continue to be been heavily focused around the tee game, and the range I frequent has a short game area that I have been practicing on. I really try and keep the same type of chip for 99% of situations unless something funky arises, so I’ve been focusing on my carry distance with chips, and what those “feel” like to me. I’m a number on the clock guy so I have 7,8,9,10 as feels.

I’ve been altering my putting setup a little based on some videos I took and comparing it to last year when I was putting my best. I’ve been bending over a little too much, and with the changes of feeling more upright, have really gotten a good feel for my stroke (tough wording to get around here).

Once tee times are released I’ll post when and where we are off on day 1, as well as the link to golf genius if anyone wants to follow along.

I will be posting after round 1 to let you know where we stand heading into round 2, and asking for some positive vibes, I’m sure! My full breakdowns for both rounds will be posted after the conclusion of the event.

I feel confident going into this tournament, and it helps to have a partner to rely on if things aren’t going the best. But this is a test to see how my game is coming along. State AM qualifier in June as well as some other events on the horizon. Appreciate you all following along!

Very cool - will be following along. I have a friend that plays in a few CT events - will check the field to see if he’s traveling for this one.

Road to the Victory Cup with bsbmike5 - Tournament Preview – RIGA 4 Ball Championship – May 7th and 8th

The next tournament for me on my Road to the Victory Cup is 2 weeks away and is the Rhode Island Golf Association (RIGA) 4 Ball Championship. Wanted to provide a preview on the tournament, the courses and what I’m working on heading into the rounds.

The RIGA 4 Ball is a 36-hole competition. 2-man teams play 18 each day, best ball of the 2, gross only, no net division.

I am definitively the B player of my team, with my partner boasting a +0.9 GHIN index. He was a very accomplished division 3 golfer and racked up quite the resume over his 4 years. He was elected to his college’s hall of fame and brought his team to 4 consecutive GNAC Championships.

My partner and I feel like we are in a prime position to make some noise in this tournament. Neither of us have played in it before but have been paired together in AM tournaments a couple of times and seem to jive well on the course. One of my goals this year is to accumulate enough player of the year points to get into the top 30 so I auto qualify for the state AM next year and this could be a great way to start the RIGA season.

The last 3 years the winning scores have been -13, -11 and -9. Being under par has put teams into the top 20. With a goal of accumulating points, I think we will put ourselves in a contending position, and we both have the ability to get hot and go low.

The Courses

Rhode Island Country Club

RICC is in Barrington, RI and is a Donald Ross design (we tend to have a lot of those up here). Holes 1-14 weave through wooded areas and have more of a parkland feel. 15-18 cross the street and provide a great view of Narragansett Bay to finish the round. It is always a top-rated course in the state, was the host of the CVS charity classic which ran from 1999-2019 and saw top professionals come through every year: from Jack, Arnie, Freddy and Nick Faldo to modern day stars like Rory, Rickie, Bubba and crowd favorite Keegan Bradley. The tournament would also incorporate stars from the Champions Tour and LPGA. It has also hosted 4 USGA championships.

RICC is typically always in great shape, and once the summertime hits gets a real fast and firm feel. I’m sure early May will bring some more benign conditions, but I imagine the greens will be running hot. And Donald Ross greens are tricky even on a slow day. This course is a par 71 stretching to 6,801 yards.

Potowomut Golf Club

“Poto” as the locals call it originated as an Indian campsite and was then developed into a dairy farm. The land was purchased in 1945, and was transformed from farmlands with a barn, into a golf course with a clubhouse. Not the longest golf course with average par 4 at 380 and average par 5 at 490, I imagine scoring will be low for the elite groups here. Also, the 4 time and back-to-back champions grew up and were both members here at one time. They have qualified multiple times for the USGA 4 Ball, and I could easily see a low 60’s number come from them.

This course is really a “middle of the pack” course in my rankings in the state. It’s fine, but it’s nothing to write home about. 14-18 is a fun stretch. A downhill short par 4, par 5 that’s getable, a nasty uphill par 3, and then back-to-back par 4’s to bring us home, with 18 requiring a layup off the tee and an uphill shot in the green.

My Game

For those of you who read my first post round breakdown, you know I talked about driving and putting not feeling great, and in a whole my touch needing to get a little better. My range sessions have and will continue to be been heavily focused around the tee game, and the range I frequent has a short game area that I have been practicing on. I really try and keep the same type of chip for 99% of situations unless something funky arises, so I’ve been focusing on my carry distance with chips, and what those “feel” like to me. I’m a number on the clock guy so I have 7,8,9,10 as feels.

I’ve been altering my putting setup a little based on some videos I took and comparing it to last year when I was putting my best. I’ve been bending over a little too much, and with the changes of feeling more upright, have really gotten a good feel for my stroke (tough wording to get around here).

Once tee times are released I’ll post when and where we are off on day 1, as well as the link to golf genius if anyone wants to follow along.

I will be posting after round 1 to let you know where we stand heading into round 2, and asking for some positive vibes, I’m sure! My full breakdowns for both rounds will be posted after the conclusion of the event.

I feel confident going into this tournament, and it helps to have a partner to rely on if things aren’t going the best. But this is a test to see how my game is coming along. State AM qualifier in June as well as some other events on the horizon. Appreciate you all following along!
Appreciate the insight to your game, practice, and prep for the tournament and the VC.

Signed up this morning for my State AM qualifier on May 22nd, so another event to add to the list for May.

RIGA 4 Ball Tee Times should be out early next week. At that time I'll post it and leave the GG link if anyone wants to follow live.

Fun golf coming!

Back