Seek advice for golf-related back problem

BarryG

hacker
Reaction score
Handicap
20-ish
I'm seeking prudent advice on dealing with a back issue. I'm quite fit/flexible (stretch regularly) and had no back issues before starting up again (it's been a few years) with golf about 6 weeks ago. The discomfort (muscular?) is felt along the lower margin of the ribs on the left side, just below the scapula - I strongly suspect it's the twisting motion of the downswing. I've been told by other players that I have a "good" swing with no obvious flaws that might account for the ache/pain/stiffness. I tried taking 1 day, 2 days, 3 days off between swinging the clubs but the problem won't go away. Would you guys suggest seeing a physical therapist, a golf instructor, or ??? Do physical therapists know golf, do golf instructors know medical issues, ???

Any helpful advice appreciated.

Thanks,
Barry

Last edited:
Barry,
You might want to pose this question in our ask the pro section, only becuase he suffered from back pain and may be able to pin point something. Other than that ,I recommend seeing a doctor.

Barry -

Follow JB's advice, and if you strike out, it's time to seek out the help of a golf specific therapist.

I'd start with this: http://www.mytpi.com/ and see if you can find a therapist in your area.

I'm calling around, looking for a Yoga studio that offers classes with golf specific exercise. I know that the programs are out there, and I'll report back once I find one. Flexibility is one area that I can use some drastic improvement, and I really feel that I'll see some improvement in my game once I can get going with it.

A couple of hydrocordones and a six pack help my back problems

You need to go see a physical therapist, this most likely needs to start with a visit to your doctors for a referral. I understand that this started during golf, but what you have is an injury. A golf pro is not going to be able to help you. Yes, the majority of PTs will know how to rehab with specific golf related exercises, but the bottom line is you need to take care of the injury first. Then work on beginning golf again without re-injuring yourself.

Back