Self proclaimed "Non Athletic"

rocullen

Reaction score
Just a thought for those that say they are not athletic; to MAYBE loosen up the swing and make it a bit more athletic.

Imagine you just missed a 2' put for the best round of your life. Mad, mad, mad!
So mad you want to throw your club into the next county!

Do it! somewhere else tho. Find an open spot with no one around.
Rare back and SLING IT. Don't think about, just sling it. There is no form in slinging except reaching back and putting the whole body into it. A good SLING will load the body and uncoil and bring the shoulders with it naturally.

There's not just a whole lotta difference between SLING and SWING.
If you SLING enough you'll develop a "form".
If you SWING enough you'll develop a "form"

Changing from a parameter meeting type of "hit the ball" swing to a flowing no thought SWING where the ball just happens to be in the swing path might take some time but it will be well worth it.

Just a though. Do with it what you will.

Last edited:
Loosened up some this season and nothing bad has happened. Been considering the golf swing more in terms of an athletic move rather than a mechanical or positional move. My lower body is now more involved, and there's less thinking and more doing. I don't freak out when I finish unbalanced or even if my feet move after the follow-through. I may not have improved much but this is probably as good as I can play.

There are a few threads out there and YT videos about throwing the club in a field for the natural and tempo'd swing. Here's one for the backswing.

granted, I haven't viewed any of the throw the club videos lately, but the ones I've seen were to demonstrate the speed in the lower part of the swing or the feel of certain moves.

what I was trying to convey(feel also but a athletic type of feel) was a more relaxed/automatic type of swing instead of trying to assume positions or thinking about "how to do it".

You DO HAVE TO practice/develop certain moves. They have to be worked on diligently, but you also have to practice JUST SWINGING with those developed moves. Trying to play golf continually fighting position can be frustrating. You get to wondering about the backswing, transition, hands, wrists, hips, whatever. All I worry about is changing the swing path just a fraction. The mind and body have done this millions of times, they know what to do to get there.

Sometimes I practice nothing more than trying to swing a freely as possible. Other times I work on developing a swing part and end with a few "just swing" trying to use those parts. Those "parts" create a certain swing path; not just around, but also the vertical aspect thru and beyond. By visualizing that swing path and trying to attain it is my only thought during a free swing.

Not trying to say this is for everyone or is THE KEY to better golf. It has helped my consistency and distance.
YMMV, but I could see it helping some younger golfers(I'm 69) stuck in the 100's+.

granted, I haven't viewed any of the throw the club videos lately, but the ones I've seen were to demonstrate the speed in the lower part of the swing or the feel of certain moves.

what I was trying to convey(feel also but a athletic type of feel) was a more relaxed/automatic type of swing instead of trying to assume positions or thinking about "how to do it".

You DO HAVE TO practice/develop certain moves. They have to be worked on diligently, but you also have to practice JUST SWINGING with those developed moves. Trying to play golf continually fighting position can be frustrating. You get to wondering about the backswing, transition, hands, wrists, hips, whatever. All I worry about is changing the swing path just a fraction. The mind and body have done this millions of times, they know what to do to get there.

Sometimes I practice nothing more than trying to swing a freely as possible. Other times I work on developing a swing part and end with a few "just swing" trying to use those parts. Those "parts" create a certain swing path; not just around, but also the vertical aspect thru and beyond. By visualizing that swing path and trying to attain it is my only thought during a free swing.

Not trying to say this is for everyone or is THE KEY to better golf. It has helped my consistency and distance.
YMMV, but I could see it helping some younger golfers(I'm 69) stuck in the 100's+.

63 yo golfer and I am with you. Ironically, I just took this path two rounds ago and it is working. For years, I studied the swing, took some lessons and there were no significant gains. I am trying to tweak the mental aspect of this as I still have a hit impulse and have too much self-talk during the swing. It was suggested on another thread to just say, while
chipping, put it there on the green or on the tee shot, aim towards a building or tree tops in the horizon and go! One area that surprised me was my sand shots. I thought no way is it going to work and it did. I've played for 45 years, I guess some of this is pre-programmed. Time to let it happen.

63 yo golfer and I am with you. Ironically, I just took this path two rounds ago and it is working. For years, I studied the swing, took some lessons and there were no significant gains. I am trying to tweak the mental aspect of this as I still have a hit impulse and have too much self-talk during the swing. It was suggested on another thread to just say, while
chipping, put it there on the green or on the tee shot, aim towards a building or tree tops in the horizon and go! One area that surprised me was my sand shots. I thought no way is it going to work and it did. I've played for 45 years, I guess some of this is pre-programmed. Time to let it happen.
yep, that hit impulse is difficult to shed as is the swing thoughts. We're only human and it happens.
I don't play very much and when you show up to "play" golf, it's a pretty hard transition; not having too much experience with it to trust it. it usually takes a couple of holes to loosen up and just swing.
On my cheap simulator, i have gained about a club and a half. It may not be the most accurate simulator/game, but the gains are relative, before and after on same machine.

Back