jazzgolf

Reaction score
Handicap
I've been wondering if any of you guys gave a try to cutting your driver shafts yourselves ?

My shaft is 45.5" I've tried a 45" and liked it a lot, when I choke mine down now I get a lot more consistent contact but hate the extra inch on top.
And I am now wondering if it wouldn't mess up the flex and weight too much to cut an inch off ?

Thanks

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Yes, more than once. Total weight and flex likely won't be noticeable. However, swing weight will drop at least 3-4 points and it will likely be very obvious. If you do it be prepared to add weight back to the head somehow (weights if the driver has weight ports, lead tape, hot melt, etc.).

I currently play my M1 at 45".

use a tungsten rod saw (or a proper cutting wheel) for cutting graphite, wrap tape around the area you want to cut to further reduce fiber splits

flex won't change unless you cut the tip

add weight to the head until you get your desired swingweight

Thanks so much, aklawitter, thanks for the tip I was gonna ask it next. I have about 14 strips of lead weight weighting about 2 grams each to play with.

You can also use a pipe cutter. I use a small Husky cutter on both steel and graphite (tip and butt trimming) with no issues. It ensures a perfectly even cut, its cheap, and it's easy to use.

ETA - the pipe cutter will not crack/split the graphite so long as you tighten the knob/blade one time per rotation. Sometimes there are a few "frayed" looking pieces of graphite left over after the cut that are easily knocked off with sandpaper. It also does NOT require taping before cutting like using a saw might.

Last edited:
I have done quite a few. I play my driver at 44.5 or so. I just tape the butt where I want to cut it and do it with a dremel cut off wheel. There isn't any splintering. It will change the Swingweight, but you probably won't even notice that. As for flex. Trimming that amount from the butt shouldn't be noticeable.

You can also use a pipe cutter. I use a small Husky cutter on both steel and graphite (tip and butt trimming) with no issues. It ensures a perfectly even cut, its cheap, and it's easy to use.

ETA - the pipe cutter will not crack/split the graphite so long as you tighten the knob/blade one time per rotation. Sometimes there are a few "frayed" looking pieces of graphite left over after the cut that are easily knocked off with sandpaper. It also does NOT require taping before cutting like using a saw might.
I never considered a tubing cutter for graphite. Good to know. Thanks for the info.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

I bought a cheap chop saw from Harbor Freight and added a carbide blade. Does both steel and graphite.

As for adding weight back to the head. The more you add the more it will begin to soften the tip of the shaft so you may want to shorten the shaft in equal installments from the tip and butt ends. If you are only talking 1/2" and you like how it feels choking down, chop it and go. Choking down gives you an indication as to how light the head will feel at that playing length. If it doesn't feel too light go with it. If it feels light perhaps add a little weight via lead tape, tungsten stickers, replace the stock head weight with a heavier aftermarket (depends on model), fill the head with polyfill, cotton or yarn (if you can access inside the head) or if you are real serious have it hotmelted.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There is no shame in gripping down. If the club works well, the way it is, why mess with it? My sand wedge is shafted long because, often as not, a ball in a bunker is below my feet. For "normal" shots, with said wedge, I grip down...and enjoy the sort of counter-balanced feel. Don't get me wrong...I'm not trying to tell you what to do or not do. I'm only offering a different opinion.

Thanks 4regal, I don't think there is any shame in it, I just don't like to have about an inch to a inch and a half hanging out my hands, even with a 45 inch driver I'd choke it down a bit but that extra .5 kinda bothers me, I'm a little a*al about my setup haha

I currently have an Epic driver that swings weight to a D3. If I chop off 1/2" from standard (45 1/2") what will my swing weight be and what can I do to increase it back to standard. Never done it before always bought off the rack until this driver

I currently have an Epic driver that swings weight to a D3. If I chop off 1/2" from standard (45 1/2") what will my swing weight be and what can I do to increase it back to standard. Never done it before always bought off the rack until this driver
The swing weight would be reduced by 3 points per half inch. About the same feel you would get gripping down a half inch. If the club feels right to you gripped down; there wouldn't be any need to add weight to the head. If not, it takes 2 grams of additional head weight to increase swing weight by one point.

For trimming, I wrap the shaft with masking tape and then use a multi-tool with a PVC cutting blade.

Back