Shaft logic throughout the bag

Joshzilla

Secret Agent
Reaction score
Handicap
Okay, so I know that you hit the woods differently than the irons but do you think there is a general trend regarding launch needs and spin throughout the bag? With my woods, I am finding a lot of success with shafts that get the ball up in the air a bit in the mid-launch range. I'm pretty happy with that end of my bag. Starting to question my logic with my irons, though. They are low launch. Directionally they perform pretty well for me, but I feel like I am maybe losing something by not launching the ball high enough. Previously, I played KBS Tours and had the opposite problem. Distance and trajectory was good, but my directional control was iffy. I haven't had the opportunity to test Project X, but in my head it seems like the flighted shafts could be a good fit. I certainly like the balance of them.

Of course, the answer is to get fitted. And I have. Twice...in two different places. Both guys said that any of those 3 shafts are great for me. One of those guys is a Callaway master fitter, so that answer was extra frustrating.

Confusing fitting history:

1st: Titleist 710 AP2 w/ KBS Tour 2* flat -
With this combo, I felt in control of what I was doing. The feel, sound, etc were great. The issue was that I just couldn't draw the ball very much, typically flighting dead straight (which is fine) or a surprise fade...which is not my preference. In retrospect, maybe it was the flat lie angle that caused my woes.

2nd: Ping i20 w/ Dynamic Gold s300 black dot (standard lie) -
I was madly in love with the i20 and had to have it. After a few months, I'm not so sure that it was the right choice. I've had a lot of serviceable shots but nothing that has really wowed me in feel or performance. Plus, I can really hook the crap out of the long irons. Hard to say how much is the head and how much is the shaft...but that's where I'm at. Gonna keep after them a while longer and see if it starts falling into place.

Ultimately, I guess my only way to know for sure is to get my hands on an iron with PX in it and try for a while. If I love it, I guess I'm in the market for some Bridgestone DPC's.

In the woods, the Diamana Blue in my 3 wood and Axiv Black in my hybrid have been godsends. I basically want to feel that magic in my irons. Maybe I'm over thinking it...I'm sure that I am, but still I want to feel the same rush with an iron in my hands but for now I'm kind of confused as to the best course of action. PX Flighted seems to logically be the best match to the Axiv Black, but I could be way off base.

I don't know if I am asking a question or just venting. Either way...thanks for reading.

Frustratedly yours,
Joshzilla

Shaft quandries suck, Josh. I didn't really like the PX Flighted after the first few weeks or so. Actually think I liked the S300's better. Either way, they both stunk compared to the KBS option. Greener pastures drove me away, but it didn't take long to go back. Everybody's different though.

For me I found what I was looking for in the FST Pro 125, gave me the same flight as the S300 but feel a lot better and they're dirt cheap. Could be an interesting and cheap experiment (note they play about a flex softer than the DG's).

Back