Sharing some memories of my father

SharkHat

Aquatic Headwear Fanatic
Reaction score
Handicap
My swing
It's been an emotional time with the loss of my father. His memorial service on Saturday was helpful in many ways. One thing that was special were some picture boards that my niece and a family friend put together. I grabbed some snapshots from them to share with my THP family. A small tribute of sorts.

As a young man in the Navy:

IMG_20130810_114110_723_zpsf591d553.jpg

My father shaped my life in so many ways, and my memories of him are all fond ones. He taught me how to fish, how to drive, and how to be a caring father. These are some of the two of us together which capture some of those moments. I wish I could have captured them all. I wish there more to be made. I wish we could do them all over.

Launching for a canoe trip:

IMG_20130810_135852_118_zps415a21e6.jpg

A couple of motorboating fools:

IMG_20130810_114240_703_zps515441b7.jpg

IMG_20130810_135953_223_zps2cf2529b.jpg

Driving the old fashioned cars at Six Flags:

IMG_20130810_140617_121_zps149e3f89.jpg

Just before my sister's wedding:

IMG_20130810_140708_470_zps37d0a272.jpg

Great pictures Dennis. I'm glad that you're able to look back at things like this. Looks like you had a pretty bad ass dad.

Losing a parent is so hard. Thanks for sharing.

A wonderful tribute, SharkHat. Thanks.

Buddy, I love the pictures. Such great memories there for you of the man that helped make you, you.

You know I'm thinking about you brother.

thanks for sharing, brother.

He'd be proud of you Shark. Hats and all.

Brother these are awesome! Sorry for you loss buddy

Great stuff Shark. Sounds like you have many awesome memories to hang on to. Know what you're going through.

Those look like some great memories Dennis. So sorry for your loss. Keep the good memories at the front of your mind

Dan

Dennis I am sorry for your loss, but I am so glad you are able to remember so many great times with your father. It looks like you all had a great time boating and just being together which is great.

Shark, losing my father just over 4 years ago, I have something that may be of benefit to hear. His birthday was a little less than a month ago and it was the first once since he passed that I didn't feel really down at all. Don't get me wrong, I would still give up 10 yrs of my life to be able to spend another day with him, but I was able to keep a smile on my face and appreciate all the good times we had growing up (looks like by your pics you have some pretty awesome memories with your dad as well) rather than dwell on him not being here. Basically, healing comes with time, and let your mind take as long as it needs to, to heal (rather than force feelings).

Also, this brings a good point for everyone Jake reiterated last week after the loss he dealt with. PLEASE, call your parents, siblings, loved ones etc and let them know you love them. Its a blessing none of us can take for granted. This is something I am going to promise myself I will be better at as well.

Sorry, off topic and thanks for sharing your memories shark.

Sharkhat,

It's always tough to love a parent. Doesn't matter how old you are, you still feel that sense of being an orphan. Most guys probably find that as they get older, they appreciate their dad more than when they were young & trying to make their way. May the good memories make the loss easier to bear. My prayers and good thought s go out to you & your family.

Having lost my Dad in 2009, there still is not a day that goes by that I would not want to talk to him. But as time has passed it is much easier to remember all the great times we had together, Hopefully you can get past the raw emotions and find taht place soon as well.

Thanks so much for sharing. Those are some great pictures.

I couldn't bring myself to talk to my son about my dad until tonight. He was on vacation with my wife's family last week, and until tonight it was hard to find the right moment to get into the topic with a five year old.

Tonight before his bed time, we were watching cartoons in my bedroom and I told him about Grandpa John.

He was very sweet and serious, wiped my face so I would stop crying, and told me that he was sad too but to just think of things that make me happy. I told him that being his daddy is what makes me happy. The two of us spent the next ten minutes watching Spiderman through tears.

Thank you for sharing this Sharkhat!

Thanks for this, Sharky. You didn't notice at the time, but it nearly all those picture of the two of you, your dad's got an eye on you while he does whatever he does. Don't forget it, because he still does.

I am grateful to see this thread. 13 hours from now I'll b headed back to Wilmington to bury my Dad. the pictures and sentiments here are just what I need to see to keep me together for another few hours.

Tappin' from the work phone.

I couldn't bring myself to talk to my son about my dad until tonight. He was on vacation with my wife's family last week, and until tonight it was hard to find the right moment to get into the topic with a five year old.

Tonight before his bed time, we were watching cartoons in my bedroom and I told him about Grandpa John.

He was very sweet and serious, wiped my face so I would stop crying, and told me that he was sad too but to just think of things that make me happy. I told him that being his daddy is what makes me happy. The two of us spent the next ten minutes watching Spiderman through tears.

This is beautiful and a memory you will have forever.

I am grateful to see this thread. 13 hours from now I'll b headed back to Wilmington to bury my Dad. the pictures and sentiments here are just what I need to see to keep me together for another few hours.

Tappin' from the work phone.

Hang in there buddy.

Thanks for sharing SharkHat, good memories last forever.

This right here made me tear up a little. Sounds like you had a great dad, are a great dad, and have a great son. Even though this is a sad moment you had with your son, it's also a great one. Thanks for sharing your stories and photos.

Wonderful tribute SH. I envy you bro. Hang in there.

Back