Should I be in a regular shaft?

Zeebedy

Reaction score
hey guys,

been considering trying a regular shaft as apposed to my current stiff shafted clubs..(MIZUNO JPX 923 Forged and Wilson Staff D9 Forged, both DG S300 and 1". long).

I feel that im not getting enough out the club, hence some distance issues and bad slicing right. The shaft feels heavy and I think the 1" is too long as I catch a lot fat. (im 6"2 btw).

Was considering looking at aregular flex of theCallaway Rogue ST Pro irons as there is a heck of a deal on a UK retailer that have them all standard, with a Project X Rifle shaft.

What do you guys think?

Would see a fitter to see if you could reshaft and loft/lie adjust rather than buying clubs. Slicing could be from shaft flex but in my experience is from too flexible of a shaft, or bad swing path.

Do your balls usually launch to the right off the club? Or do they go straight/start left and then slice? Could also be an issue of push fade making the slice look worse with an open club face.

My gut would just say not to buy something completely different unless you’ve tried it out, since everyone has a different swing from tempo to swing speed, and club upright could make a difference if the toe is angled down at impact too.

its just the clubs are only available new from this retailer, and they are a few years old so I can't try them at any fitters in my area I believe.

I know when I have mishit my shots, but the thing is distance, im getting nowhere even when I know I have flushed a shot straight down the pipe.

and I doubt its the syktrak telling me wrong carry distances.

I know its no tall about distance, but I should be getting more from my size and power.

Static fitting criteria only get you so far. I’m 6’3” and play regular flex, regular length JPX 923 hot metals. I did bring the length of the PW and GW to the 9 iron length, but that’s a personal preference. Swing speed norms put me in stiff, but I love the smooth control of the reg flex R300’s

Edit. I experienced no distance loss from my S300 Ping G410’s

Static fitting criteria only get you so far. I’m 6’3” and play regular flex, regular length JPX 923 hot metals. I did bring the length of the PW and GW to the 9 iron length, but that’s a personal preference. Swing speed norms put me in stiff, but I love the smooth control of the reg flex R300’s

yeah, thanks for confirming, I had a thought that perhaps "by the book" isn't always the correct way.

Soon as I try a smooth, slower shot it goes to **** and my ball striking isn't that bad considering the level I feel im currently at.

its just the clubs are only available new from this retailer, and they are a few years old so I can't try them at any fitters in my area I believe.

I know when I have mishit my shots, but the thing is distance, im getting nowhere even when I know I have flushed a shot straight down the pipe.

and I doubt its the syktrak telling me wrong carry distances.

I know its no tall about distance, but I should be getting more from my size and power.

Kind of as a response to both of these, if you find something that works — more power to you. But it’s been helpful in my experience to get fit, look at options, and have a second opinion that may find something that will work for me. I’m 6’ tall and my irons are only 1/4” longer than standard as is.

If you have a fitter that’ll just put you in a different DG flex it would probably be wasted money if you were looking to go to something with more give anyways though. Finding a good fitter is as important as getting fit so you can have the benefit of a good fit and a good relationship with said fitter. I would just recommend seeing what a third party says about shaft profile before buying a whole new set of clubs, IMO.

yeah, thanks for confirming, I had a thought that perhaps "by the book" isn't always the correct way.

Soon as I try a smooth, slower shot it goes to **** and my ball striking isn't that bad considering the level I feel im currently at.
It must be a mental thing for me. Stiff shaft say “smash me” and I get out of sorts some times. The switch to reg flex might have positively affected my tempo more than anything.

hey guys,

been considering trying a regular shaft as apposed to my current stiff shafted clubs..(MIZUNO JPX 923 Forged and Wilson Staff D9 Forged, both DG S300 and 1". long).

I feel that im not getting enough out the club, hence some distance issues and bad slicing right. The shaft feels heavy and I think the 1" is too long as I catch a lot fat. (im 6"2 btw).

Was considering looking at aregular flex of theCallaway Rogue ST Pro irons as there is a heck of a deal on a UK retailer that have them all standard, with a Project X Rifle shaft.

What do you guys think?

I think you need a fitting.

If you swing right and left and are inconsistent, that may be a sign that you need a change, especially if the club feels uncomfortable. Go to a fitter and see what they think. Go hit some standard clubs. Try lighter shafts, maybe graphite... but see a fitter.

I find it to be not entirely accurate. Most charts and such from shaft manufacturers have my speeds in x flex but I have never played nor been fit in an x flex. So many variables with shafts though other then flex and there really is no industry standard.

Best advice is get a fitting done. Even if all you are looking to do is reshaft what you have. You are going to find out what shaft, length, and lie you need from a fitting.

I would recommend a fitting as well. I thought for sure I was heading towards a regular flex shaft because I had some of the same issues you described.

And I got fit for a 6TX extra stiff shaft.

Generally speaking, if a shaft is too stiff the ball will have a tendency to fade/slice.

You have an ST+. What are your launch numbers with a Driver, 7i, and PW out of curiosity?

tbh mate, I have only really been hitting a 8 iron on the mat, haven't touched my woods yet..I just can't yet the consistency.

I can get a cracking deal on the Mizuno JPX 921 5-PW brand new, lofts would suit my wedges also, and the one In question is the same shaft as I have, just in R300 form.

I AM taking into consideration your guys advice, and I appreciate, but I have lost some confidence in my fitting centre, as I feel the setup I currently have is not correct.

if I get these 921 irons, I I will give them a bash, and if they don't suit, I will have my d9, 923 and then 921 for trade-in and make the yourney to get fitted if all else fails.

CHANGE OF PLAN GUYS!

managed to get in touch with the place I got my lessons for, and the DO fittings at a good price and are quite close, I don't know why I never considered them at first!

least I will know where I'm at, coming away with new clubs, or at least a spec sheet with what I need!

hey guys,

What do you guys think?
It is a very hard question because there is no standard for what Stiff and Regular mean. One OEMs Regular flex shaft could be configured so as to feel more stiff than another OEMs Stiff flex shaft.

CHANGE OF PLAN GUYS!

managed to get in touch with the place I got my lessons for, and the DO fittings at a good price and are quite close, I don't know why I never considered them at first!

least I will know where I'm at, coming away with new clubs, or at least a spec sheet with what I need!

That's a good call.

I'm not a technology person at all, but I can tell you fitting can make a huge difference. At a recent fitting was hitting a club pretty well in terms of strike, but all my misses were high-wide right or massively left - in the trees, OB or in the water type shots. He changes the shaft and immediately most of my misses become in-the-the-fairway type misses or in-the-rough at worst. My good ones became penetrating, on-line shots. Obviously I know in real world I'm still going to hit some outliers that go OB or in the water, but it definitely opened my eyes to the difference having the wrong shaft can make.

Well, had my fitting..more if a lesson! The guys was awesome!

No club changing, just upping to a thicker grip, extension on my hybrid and wedges.

Taking my putter in as it's 33". Im 6'2 but like a shorter putter, but he did bring up about posture and back pain (I already have back issues) so will probably extend that and get a jumbo grip or something on that. Its a 2 ball putter which I love, (used the 2-ball back in the day)..so don't wanna change that totally.

Trackman was giving the same numbers as the ST+ so I know for a 100% it's now me, not the device!!! :ROFLMAO:

Well, had my fitting..more if a lesson! The guys was awesome!

No club changing, just upping to a thicker grip, extension on my hybrid and wedges.

Taking my putter in as it's 33". Im 6'2 but like a shorter putter, but he did bring up about posture and back pain (I already have back issues) so will probably extend that and get a jumbo grip or something on that. Its a 2 ball putter which I love, (used the 2-ball back in the day)..so don't wanna change that totally.

Trackman was giving the same numbers as the ST+ so I know for a 100% it's now me, not the device!!! :ROFLMAO:

Gosh, you need a 35 inch putter or putting will kill ya'.

6 foot and 35 inch putter although fit for 34.5 inch. I just grip down a bit and the inch above my hands is like a counterweight.

Good luck.

Back