Soft Stepping Wedges

cornerjunkie

Reaction score
Handicap
I have been playing my MD3 wedges for a few months now and have noticed that I have lost some spin and feel compared to my old wedges. When I ordered them, I decided to go with X100 shafts thinking that I would lower the trajectory a bit. That wasn't really the case. I have the PXI 6.5 shafts in the rest of my irons and I LOVE the way they feel. I would love to have that same feel with my wedges.

Looking at options, reading up on soft stepping wedges had me intrigued because of the precision you can dial in on feel and stiffness. I will be honest and say I do not know much about it, but would love to hear from those that have experience with it. I would like to possibly put some PXI shafts in my wedges, but I am not sure what I should go with. Currently, this is what I was thinking.

8i 7.0 for 50,54,60

9i 6.5 for 50,54,60

Anyone else have any knowledge or experience they can share?

I think from a feel perspective a softer flex shaft might be something you are looking for, but I do not think it will effect spin. Why not just put the PXi 6.5 in your wedges? If you are playing less then full shots with any of those clubs you would be wise to go softer, not stiffer.

I wouldn't recommend it. I think you would be better off going with a wedge shaft over doing what plenty of others have done by "tiger stepping" their wedges. KBS 610 shafts fit exactly what you are trying to do while maintaining the weight of the club

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think from a feel perspective a softer flex shaft might be something you are looking for, but I do not think it will effect spin. Why not just put the PXi 6.5 in your wedges? If you are playing less then full shots with any of those clubs you would be wise to go softer, not stiffer.

Yeah, the X100 is definitely too stiff for my liking and was a mistake when ordering. I may end up just going with the PXI shafts to keep consistency. I do usually play a full swing for the 50* as it is played as my gap wedge.

I wouldn't recommend it. I think you would be better off going with a wedge shaft over doing what plenty of others have done by "tiger stepping" their wedges. KBS 610 shafts fit exactly what you are trying to do while maintaining the weight of the club

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Swing weight was something I was worried about and seems to be something you can screw up pretty easily... I may look at the KBS and other alternatives to the PXI as well.

IMO: try the DG Spinner they have great control, and stop ballooning out in the LW lofts. I think the non (+) version will be fine. + is a bit stiffer. Actually thinking of shafting my PW also with one too...

I agree with going with a weaker flex shaft for any wedges your not doing full shots with. Someone on the forums might even have a "wedge" flex shaft just kicking around, we all tinker enough haha.

I'm starting to learn towards a 610 shaft in the 50* and the Hi-Rev 2.0 in the 54* & 60*. That should help with giving me the feel I'm looking for...

Back