Spine Surgery-considering switching to Long Putter

IronWhisperer

Reaction score
Handicap
N/A
Hello,
I am just getting back into golf after nearly 10 years off due to bad back (wow - so much has changed in this sport since then!).

I had spine surgery in my low back 6 months ago (fusion and a disc replacement) and have been cleared to putt by doc (not yet ready to pull out my driver just yet!).

I have read that the long putter is more forgiving on your spine/back which allows longer practice. I have always favored the classics, thus I've been in the anti-long putter camp - but now am reconsidering my classic putter elitism. :snub:

What do you think about the long putter (advantages/disadvantages)?

Many Thanks
Miss E

Lots of threads on this one, but when it comes to the spine, I would suggest discussing it with your doctor. Nobody would give you better advice in regards to you personally and what is best for your health.

I agree +1000 with JB with the Doc's advice. With that said I would certainly agree the longer putter would take less strain off of your lower back.

I cannot speak to the increased longevity of your back based on long putters, but I know that I rolled a Ping Pick 'em up today and made 4/4 putts I hit (didn't have much time at Golf Galaxy. LOL)

Im not a Doctor by any means, but here is what I can offer;

My Brother suffered a back and shoulder injury while in Iraq. He can no longer swing like he once could, but can still get up and down with the best of them. When he started playing again, he changed his entire posture for the game; standing up straighter with his driver, irons, etc, and as well as going with a long putter so he can basically stand up straight.

Of course, everyone is different, but consult your Physician, and test some out...

Good luck!

Back