Starting the Year Off WRONG

Splendorlex

Reaction score
Handicap
40+
As all the "snow area" THPers know, this has been a long winter. We have finally had a few good days, but today was the first day I actually got out there and hit a few balls. I went to the closest range/course to me at my new place, Broadlands Golf Club in North Prairie, WI. This looks like a really nice course, and I look forward to playing it at some point. They also have an all-grass driving range, which is nice. I am a little disappointed that it's nowhere near the putting green, and there is no chipping area there either, of course. But hey, it's close and grass so that's good.

When I went out it was about 40 degrees with 20 mph winds. Maybe it wasn't such a good idea, but I have a lesson scheduled for next Tuesday and wanted to hit at least a little before that. It was a horrible, horrible first time swinging. Out of 40 balls I think I hit 4 or 5 right, and had a vast collection of skulls, thin hits, fat hits, just ugly. One interesting note is the first shot I hit was probably the best. Maybe I hadn't yet been negatively impacted by the bone-chilling wind.

So anyhow, I hit them so bad it got me really down about the whole thing. I kept thinking about what it would take me to get where I'd want to be, the cost of lessons, the cost of playing. Makes me wonder if I just want to be an occasional "weekend warrior" and take it easy on the whole thing. Maybe I'm just not ready from a financial or time perspective to take it very seriously at all.

I'm sure I'm not the first to start the year on a down note, how do you deal with it?

Just keep at it the conditions sounded bad when it gets below 40* i have a hard time making really good contact. since it was you first time out chalk it up to a long winter and keep going

Yeah - not much you can do, went on a golf vacation first week of March. Left Ohio in an ice storm, arrived in NC with 70 degrees & sun. The next day first time on the course it was high 30's. Then mid-40's, then rain. Wearing multiple layers, then a coat, with wet gloves. We grinded out 16 holes before the "heavy stuff" started coming down... The next day was a little drier. The next day sunnier.

Finally a month & a half later, played in 75 degrees last weekend. Even got a little sun.

The swing has felt good, but scoring very inconsistent. Had 6 one putts last Saturday, so that was cool.

I go home. Then go back. It is what is. No reason to dwell.

As a fellow member coming off a strong winter I say it's no big deal. You can't expect you go out and just be flushing the ball every time. Don't worry about it, it'll come. You're just knocking the rust off

Cold weather destroys me. I can't swing, concentrate or even think about playing well. Bone chilling cold is brutal. Keep your head up and keep plugging along. It'll all be better once the warm weather visits us here in the upper Midwest!

Love the Broadlands by the way. Great course Lots of wind though. No doubt about that.

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using Tapatalk

I wouldn't give it a second thought. No two worse things for a golf swing than cold & wind - not to mention the long winter. (Winter truly sucks!). It'll get better. It always does.

I know exactly how you feel. My first range session was the same. My second was a bit better. Third showed major improvement. Fourth and fifth were money. Stick with it.

Personally, I would say don't worry about it especially if you haven't been able to hit a ball for months then there is bound to be a rough period at the start of your season - my start has been an up and down mixture of results but I am not concerned yet as hitting at a range from mats is nothing like playing on the course

Everyone takes a different amount of time to get back into the swing of things so to speak, so just give it time and approach your lessons as you normally would

As all the "snow area" THPers know, this has been a long winter. We have finally had a few good days, but today was the first day I actually got out there and hit a few balls. I went to the closest range/course to me at my new place, Broadlands Golf Club in North Prairie, WI. This looks like a really nice course, and I look forward to playing it at some point. They also have an all-grass driving range, which is nice. I am a little disappointed that it's nowhere near the putting green, and there is no chipping area there either, of course. But hey, it's close and grass so that's good.

When I went out it was about 40 degrees with 20 mph winds. Maybe it wasn't such a good idea, but I have a lesson scheduled for next Tuesday and wanted to hit at least a little before that. It was a horrible, horrible first time swinging. Out of 40 balls I think I hit 4 or 5 right, and had a vast collection of skulls, thin hits, fat hits, just ugly. One interesting note is the first shot I hit was probably the best. Maybe I hadn't yet been negatively impacted by the bone-chilling wind.

So anyhow, I hit them so bad it got me really down about the whole thing. I kept thinking about what it would take me to get where I'd want to be, the cost of lessons, the cost of playing. Makes me wonder if I just want to be an occasional "weekend warrior" and take it easy on the whole thing. Maybe I'm just not ready from a financial or time perspective to take it very seriously at all.

I'm sure I'm not the first to start the year on a down note, how do you deal with it?

I did the same thing 2 weeks ago. I felt like I was lucky to know which end of the club to hold.

It was so bad, all I could do was laugh and put it out of my mind. I played the following week and I was back to normal.

It's only one range session. It's not you. Everyone has days like that.

The cold also made it so I didn't want to take it too slow. I couldn't bring myself to stop and think much, it was brutal.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

I blame Milwaukee.

I won't dwell to much broseph. You're hitting range balls, in 40 degree weather, with 20 mph winds, and it's the first time you've been out since prob Oct. There's gonna be just a bit of rust! Lol.

I'm in the same boat--started the year off wrong, but I didn't do it at the range, I did it at two THP events in front of 40 other THPers. If anything, it has motivated me to get back out there and keep working.

I felt way better the second time out. Sure, I hit a few more stinkers, but I hit some good ones too.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Back