Swing from the ground up, on the backswing?

Carolina Golfer

Reaction score
Handicap
Check out Shingo's video. He says to swing from the ground up on the backswing. I always thought you coil going back, starting with your shoulders and torso.

Also, he says to complete the swing with your trail shoulder.

Thoughts?

Seems like a good thought to counter an stiff lower half or a back swing that's lacking in hip rotation.

Last edited:
Cowboy Katayama, I wondered whatever happened to that guy. He was in contention in some majors back in the day. Pretty sure he was in the final round group with David Toms when Toms won the PGA Champ (helped by making a hole in one on a long par 3 with a 3wood).

I hit the ball further using the ground to start my backswing. It makes me use the ground during my downswing and really shifts my weight forward. It takes a little getting used to. I started with a bunch of pulls and big draws. Eventually it straightened out, but I’d have to relearn my distances so I’ve put it off. Too bad because it found me some accuracy too. It’s something I intend to ask about during winter lessons.

I know "feel isn't real" and lord knows nobody should take swing advice from me but there's probably something to that. There's a change I've gradually been able to (usually) make in my golf swing over the past couple years through lessons and practice drills that has knocked a few strokes off my handicap and got me hitting the ball a lot more solidly with less curve.

I wasn't TOLD to start from the ground up but when I did the drills that's exactly what it felt like. It's hard to describe in words but I really press my back foot into the ground at the start of the backswing and it's like I'm pushing up and through that leg and that side of my body to get my shoulder turned behind me. And at the start of the downswing it's like I'm pushing my weight off that back foot and onto the front foot.

That's just a feeling but I did stand on one of those computerized pressure mats in a golf lesson and the "hot spots" showing my weight transfer pretty much followed the same sequence as the feeling. So I think there's something to it.

I know "feel isn't real" and lord knows nobody should take swing advice from me but there's probably something to that. There's a change I've gradually been able to (usually) make in my golf swing over the past couple years through lessons and practice drills that has knocked a few strokes off my handicap and got me hitting the ball a lot more solidly with less curve.

I wasn't TOLD to start from the ground up but when I did the drills that's exactly what it felt like. It's hard to describe in words but I really press my back foot into the ground at the start of the backswing and it's like I'm pushing up and through that leg and that side of my body to get my shoulder turned behind me. And at the start of the downswing it's like I'm pushing my weight off that back foot and onto the front foot.

That's just a feeling but I did stand on one of those computerized pressure mats in a golf lesson and the "hot spots" showing my weight transfer pretty much followed the same sequence as the feeling. So I think there's something to it.
That describes what I was trying to do perfectly. I added in a weight shift to my forward foot to begin my swing when I was playing with this thought. That way I have that feeling of movement and weight shifting so I didn’t get stuck on my trail side. Solid contact was definitely there.

Follow this swing advice at your peril. :oops:

Follow this swing advice at your peril. :oops:
There is an entire cottage industry of giving contradictory swing advice. It's a shame because it confuses players who are just looking to get better.

Back