Galen Marek

Reaction score
Handicap
I consider myself a decent golfer but my first love and what I actually excel at is tennis. I come from the 90's era when American tennis was dominant even though my absolute favorite player is Thomas Muster. I played on red clay for a number of years and have a grinding baseline game. Because I'm barely 5'9" I have more of a spin serve and while I have a lot of spin on my forehand and backhand I do like to flatten them out for winners. My one handed backhand is my best shot and anytime it comes to that side I look to hit a winner. My volleys are the weakest part of my game and when I do try to volley I look like a believer trying to ward off a vampire with a cross.

Now that I'm in my 40's and have had some Achilles issues I look to end points sooner with my backhand and grind it out less to save wear and tear on the body.

Anyone else here love tennis? I'd be interested to hear about your games. I have access to two private, well lit courts so could also host a THP tennis tournament as well.

Was recently looking up my favorite players (generally smaller baseliners who maximized their talent and worked harder than their peers) and came across this hilarious article about Michael Chang.

http://www.slate.com/articles/sports/sports_nut/2008/07/dear_michael_chang.html

Haven’t played in a while, but grew up with the game and around the game.

One of my best mates growing up was a county player. I used to play with him a lot. Only beat him once, but as he did play and beat Tim Henman in his county days, I’m gonna say I’m better than Tim Henman LOL. With my Achilles issues, I’d struggle to play a set these days.

#FiberLaunch

Love it. Knee issues pushed me to golf a couple of years ago, but finally able to get out and play more often.

My oldest daughter is on the JV team right now as a 9th grader, so it has been fun to get out and hit with her more often. Just got a ball machine this weekend.

I just recently got back into it after a couple years only hitting balls a few times a year. Played varsity tennis in high school and club/intramural a little bit in college, and then fell off for a while after entering the working world due to a lack of friends playing. Now I have a few interested co-workers so I'm getting back into it.

My game historically has been based predominantly on grinding at the baseline and tiring people out. My topspin forehand and backhand are my best shots by far, with volleys being a weakness as I have poor depth perception. So similar games between you and I it would seem. My serve has historically been a weak point, but I've been working on it lately and have seen some improvement. I don't have the fastest flat serve in the world, so I like to mix it up with slicers as well. I always had a weak second, but it's improving - I'm working on the kicker and it's getting there. Just need to feel comfortable hitting with more racquet speed to get a lot of kick.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

One of my best mates growing up was a county player. I used to play with him a lot. Only beat him once, but as he did play and beat Tim Henman in his county days, I’m gonna say I’m better than Tim Henman LOL. With my Achilles issues, I’d struggle to play a set these days.

#FiberLaunch

So basically you had the potential to be #3 in the world.

I partially tore my right Achilles and was in a boot for nine months (and proceeded to get fat in that time) but with the rehab and I do my stretches daily the fear of another tear is finally gone.

I just recently got back into it after a couple years only hitting balls a few times a year. Played varsity tennis in high school and club/intramural a little bit in college, and then fell off for a while after entering the working world due to a lack of friends playing. Now I have a few interested co-workers so I'm getting back into it.

My game historically has been based predominantly on grinding at the baseline and tiring people out. My topspin forehand and backhand are my best shots by far, with volleys being a weakness as I have poor depth perception. So similar games between you and I it would seem. My serve has historically been a weak point, but I've been working on it lately and have seen some improvement. I don't have the fastest flat serve in the world, so I like to mix it up with slicers as well. I always had a weak second, but it's improving - I'm working on the kicker and it's getting there. Just need to feel comfortable hitting with more racquet speed to get a lot of kick.

The best trick for me to hit a kick serve is to wear a watch on my right hand and with the pronation of the wrist during a kick serve you should be able to read the face of the watch after impact.

Love it. Knee issues pushed me to golf a couple of years ago, but finally able to get out and play more often.

My oldest daughter is on the JV team right now as a 9th grader, so it has been fun to get out and hit with her more often. Just got a ball machine this weekend.

Are there red or green clay courts in your area? Feels so much nicer on the joints and it'll help your daughter learn to construct points as it's more difficult to put balls away on the slower surface.

Haven’t played in a while, but grew up with the game and around the game.

I imagine in Florida tennis is hard to miss. Have you seen this HBO special? HILARIOUS.

The best trick for me to hit a kick serve is to wear a watch on my right hand and with the pronation of the wrist during a kick serve you should be able to read the face of the watch after impact.
That's a good tip! I'll have to give that one a go.

I grew up playing tennis with my twin brother...we played singles and doubles. We were varsity as freshmen in high school (best on the team), but I stopped taking it seriously shortly after that. He still plays league, plays to a 4.5, and for the first time made it to nationals, which was in Orlando this year. I haven't hit much the last couple years, but could probably be a 4.5 or at least 4.0 if I practiced and got my game back.

Played a bit in college, but badminton was always my racket sport and I played that up until I had my back issues

Tried to work through those, but officially hung up my rackets a couple weeks ago as the nerves and muscles in my back just can't handle the very quick movements and changes of direction

Are there red or green clay courts in your area? Feels so much nicer on the joints and it'll help your daughter learn to construct points as it's more difficult to put balls away on the slower surface.

Unfortunately, not any that I'd have access to, from a public access standpoint.

It has been a long while since I played on clay, but it's so fun. Sets up beautifully for my grinding game as well.

Played a bit in college, but badminton was always my racket sport and I played that up until I had my back issues

Tried to work through those, but officially hung up my rackets a couple weeks ago as the nerves and muscles in my back just can't handle the very quick movements and changes of direction

i love badminton too! i wish i had access to play it indoors somewhere around here. love ping pong too. basically, if there's a paddle or racket, i'd probably play it.

I don’t think this thread will get as much traction as the pickle ball thread, but hey, it exists 😂

Back