TeedUpThoughts

#TeamNE
Reaction score
Handicap
< Last Yr!
Recently went on a trip for work to London and was introduced to a proper Gin & Tonic. I didn’t see a Gin thread, so if there is please merge.

So far, my favorite has been Monkey 47
bc9ee3313d8240a2ac9caf4e866db6ce.jpg

Which I was excited to find at one of my local stores when I returned. Also have enjoyed Hendrix and Thomas Dakin.

I was really impressed with the preparation of the drinks in London, very different than the ones I’ve had here which I think comes down to the type of tonic.

d20ea000be7a977b3e2b3cc06e94daa7.jpg

Looking to explore some more, aside from Bombay Sapphire and The Botanist, which I picked up this past week, and Indian tonic what other Gin are you a fan of?

In my experience as a bartender and an overall fan of a good gin and tonic, the tonic matters as much as the gin.

I’m a Hendricks fan myself.

In my experience as a bartender and an overall fan of a good gin and tonic, the tonic matters as much as the gin.

They almost exclusively used fever tree over there, was very good! I’ve found if I ask for 1/2 club soda and 1/2 tonic here it is ok. I found some fever tree Indian tonic though and will report back on the Botanist and on Bombay Sapphire.

I’ll enjoy an occasional gin & tonic. We had a Christmas party last week so I loaded up our bar cart with some goodies and we will leave it all out until after the new year. I’m not super picky but our current gins are Bombay Sapphire and Beefeater 24. I like Fever Tree tonic water.

b05e5cde5b703a18780c9c2908cf6dcc.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

They almost exclusively used fever tree over there, was very good! I’ve found if I ask for 1/2 club soda and 1/2 tonic here it is ok. I found some fever tree Indian tonic though and will report back on the Botanist and on Bombay Sapphire.

Fever Tree is good, but can get expensive.

I use Scweppes a majority of the time and it’s great.

Also good call on Botanist, really good and underrated imo.

Nolet’s is by far my favorite gin out there.
0c3091307668980b3d4a5d76b7a9df02.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’ll enjoy an occasional gin & tonic. We had a Christmas party last week so I loaded up our bar cart with some goodies and we will leave it all out until after the new year. I’m not super picky but our current gins are Bombay Sapphire and Beefeaters 24. I like Fever Tree tonic water.

b05e5cde5b703a18780c9c2908cf6dcc.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

That’s a GREAT setup!

Nolet’s is by far my favorite gin out there.
0c3091307668980b3d4a5d76b7a9df02.jpg

Not sure I’ve seen that one, will have to seek it out!

I like Hendrick's, but I usually get New Amsterdam. I paired it with Polar Diet Tonic with Lime this week and it was good!

We were talking about gin at our white elephant/now you have it, now you don't/$#@* your coworker get-together on Thursday and somebody recommended Short Path (which in in MA for our New England peeps).

eedf035ba34595db23c1b29e81166cb0.jpg

Ringing it in right!

Besides a martini or gin and tonic, what are some other popular gin cocktails ?

Recently went on a trip for work to London and was introduced to a proper Gin & Tonic. I didn’t see a Gin thread, so if there is please merge.

So far, my favorite has been Monkey 47
bc9ee3313d8240a2ac9caf4e866db6ce.jpg

Which I was excited to find at one of my local stores when I returned. Also have enjoyed Hendrix and Thomas Dakin.

I was really impressed with the preparation of the drinks in London, very different than the ones I’ve had here which I think comes down to the type of tonic.

d20ea000be7a977b3e2b3cc06e94daa7.jpg

Looking to explore some more, aside from Bombay Sapphire and The Botanist, which I picked up this past week, and Indian tonic what other Gin are you a fan of?

My Gin drinking buddy back home raves about Monkey 47.
We spent a few days with them on our recent trip back home. He has 42 different Gins and so it was only right we try a few
73d06b3f48723bdedf5a2bbc1bd8d8c1.jpg

And of course, you need tonic to go with it
ed9587543bfd93c566ba080496c82166.jpg

My Gin drinking buddy back home raves about Monkey 47.
We spent a few days with them on our recent trip back home. He has 42 different Gins and so it was only right we try a few
73d06b3f48723bdedf5a2bbc1bd8d8c1.jpg

And of course, you need tonic to go with it
ed9587543bfd93c566ba080496c82166.jpg

Wow! That is a hell of a collection!!

I turned a few more people on to a “real” G&T last night with the Monkey 47.

Monkey 47 is only carried by one store around here, $43 for 375ml or $60 for 1L. We'll have to see about that; obviously, I'd get the big bottle (fiscally responsible).

Any gin recommendations for someone who hasn't had gin before? I haven't tried gin but my interest has been peeked from seeing a aviation gin commercial online.

Depending on how much money you want to throw at a bottle (keeping in mind that same as whisky, often times the cheaper bottles might be a bit of a raunchy start), ones like The Botanist are nice and smooth and herbaceous.
Gin is a cool spirit in that it's easy to make for distilleries so depending where you are, you might be able to go sample a few. Up in my city, we now have about 5 distilleries that make their own Gin and all put a different spin on them, based on herbals and other additives.
Find yourself a nice tonic water and a slice of fruit to go with, and have a nice refreshing beverage!

This bottle went WAY too quickly!! Will report back on the replacement soon.
fb9afd78e01135281aa19bcf0352a0e5.jpg
ae367afc98d3dfcbddf1a2b69bf96644.jpg

Anyone have experience with this gin??
20c2fe3aec84be3beffceba3a036ee30.jpg

I can say with absolute certainty....

I have never tried Gin.

Update: Empress is fun to watch change color, but not a great Gin, slightly disappointing there.
e802994a19266d3d7730048a3f122fe5.jpg

However!! My wife surprised me with a liter bottle of Monkey 47 for my birthday. Excited to open this one!
378df94c05938e39b2a54f603990d018.jpg

I like Boodles when I can get it, but Gordon’s is fine for me in a martini. Neither is overly heavy on the botanicals. Boodles is 90 proof (tradional for British gins), while Gordon’s is 80 proof. I do enjoy Hendrick’s, but primarily with a cucumber slice instead of an olive. In a restaurant I typically order Tanqueray because it’s almost universally available and some house gins are truly awful.

If I’m mixing a gin cocktail with multiple ingredients for a party or using an older vermouth-heavy martini recipe, I stick with New Amsterdam. NA is a great gin for the price. If it’s for me, I generally use Plymouth. Beefeater 24 and Aviation are very good, too. The most recent gin I bought was a bourbon cask finished gin from the St. Augustine Distillery in Florida. It made an amazing Martinez! If you’re a fan of curry like me, try an Everest cocktail. (Use NA here.)

Everest

Mix 1 tsp curry powder into 1 oz of coconut cream. Shake vigorously over ice with 1/2 oz of fresh lemon juice and 2 1/2 oz gin. Strain into a chilled martini glass.

Back