ThrowBack Thursday: Cleveland 588 MT Irons

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Combing through some old files and press releases for a different reason, I came across this one. Check out the tech details as part of the release. In looking through the release, I wonder how well this translates to current irons and do you believe they were just ahead of their time? This set came out 5+ years ago.

Flight
Engineered for Mid Trajectory – Constant blade length throughout the set, blade height progressively increases in higher-lofted clubs. Easy-to-hit long irons are blended with more traditional short irons.

Forgiveness
Full Hollow Construction – High performance in a playable design. Advanced internal weighting adds forgiveness and promotes a lower, deeper center of gravity for optimal launch and effortless distance.

Feel
Face Forged Technology – Every iron has a forged club face to enhance ball speed and feel.
Vibration Dampening – Multi-material insert of polymer and aluminum in iron plaque dampens vibration at impact for more consistent feel.
Fully Customizable – Part of the 588 Irons Family, Mid Trajectory Irons can be easily interchanged with 588 Tour Trajectory and Altitude Irons to customize a set with the perfect combination of ball flight, feel, and forgiveness.

588%20MT%20STS.jpg

Never played these or knew anything about them, but they still look really great and seems like we are seeing a lot of similar tech form these modern players distance irons coming out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I really do think these were ahead of their time. Especially seeing the irons on the market right now.

I remember I was really into Cleveland’s clubs at that time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I played last Friday with a friend who still games these. Bought them new, sold them and bought pings. Played with the pings for a couple seasons. This year he asked the guy he sold the 588s to if he still had them. Bought them back for $50 and put them in play.

Even though I've never played these irons, they hold a fond place in my heart as they were an option for the cleveland golf staffers during my morgan cup year and loved seeing them and the 588 irons in their bags!

From a design side and the combo set, what a great idea I tend to see in a lot of irons these days, don't know before then how many oversized ones I remembered seeing.

... I still have a set of 5-pw 588TT's and the 588MT 4 iron. I liked them so much I bought a set of 588MT's for the Mrs and she absolutely loves them. I would still be playing the TT's if I had not found P790's. I think the TT's/Mt's should be in the Golf Hall Of Fame as maybe the most under rated irons ever made.

This was one of my favorite ever iron lines, the Altitude/MT/TT that you could combo up however you want was a fantastic idea. And the MT was the best of the bunch, IMO - ahead of their time as a hollow bodied iron. Bunch of buys had these in play on tour as driving irons.

I still have my set. I may move them into graphite shafts, and between these and my W/S C200's and F5's, I think I'm set in the iron department for quite awhile.

These were awesome. Gamed them for 3 years and would still game them today

I'm getting rid of my Honma 737vs irons and put these back in the bag. Just too easy to hit, and that's what it's all about, right? Looking for a single 7 iron if anyone has one

I had the full MT set as my first set of irons really and they were fantastic.

Wish I still had them actually - such a great iron.

I gamed these not to long ago. Very good iron that I'm not real sure why I sold. I think it was the first with the v sole.

Back