Titleist Pro V1/V1x vs. Titleist tour soft

golfguy2021

Reaction score
Can an amateur tell the differences between Pro V1/V1x and Tour soft? I don't think I can.

Got an award for exceptional performance from work and I was awarded with a certificate to get either 12 dozens of Pro V1/V1x or 20 dozens of Tour soft. Unfortunately, it is either or, not both.

Which one would you get?.

ProV1x for sure for me. Probably the most consistently made ball on the market, and great all-around performance for distance and control.

On any launch monitor they can.
The spin difference will create a much different data set on full swings.
We have a video on THP TV showing two golf balls on opposite ends of the spectrum in spin profile and the difference with even just an 8 iron is over 1000 rpms of spin and over 10 yards.

Can an amateur tell the differences between Pro V1/V1x and Tour soft? I don't think I can.

Got an award for exceptional performance from work and I was awarded with a certificate to get either 12 dozens of Pro V1/V1x or 20 dozens of Tour soft. Unfortunately, it is either or, not both.

It depends on, what kind of difference are you're trying to define / separate, the different types of golf balls.
There is definitely a difference in distance and trajectory/spin. you can easily make a decision depending on the playing condition and your need.

For personal use, just get the ones you really want and will fit your game. If for the reason of quick turn around to unload them, then look for the highest retail value + demand. Personally, depending on the golf course condition all three are within my game spec. I'd opt for the one which will give me the longest yardage. It used to be the V1X, probably the V1 for now. The tour soft is a better fit for the Winter condition.

Of course, if you are still losing quite a few golf balls each round as most of the amateurs , then I'd go for the shear number/volume of the golf balls. The V1/V1X have more of the show and tell factor because of the exposure on the professional tour. May or may not fit your game.

If I could be bothered, I would get the Pro V1, sell them on and buy something else that I prefer and still have cash left over for a few extra things

Thanks to both @JB and @Release.

The THP youtube video is demonstrated by a very good golfer. I don't think I will ever get there, considering my age 😢.

I am still losing about 8 balls per 18 holes. At the moment, I am playing with Costco Kirkland ball. I do play with "used" V1/V1x balls and honestly, I can not tell the difference between them, probably because of my skill level. I'll get the tour soft, quantity over quality for an amateur golfer, right?

Thanks again.

If you're losing 8 balls per 18 holes, then I'd suggest taking the ProV1s, selling them for whatever you can get, and buy as many Kirklands as you can get your hands on. The Kirkland is not a bad ball at all, and is a great price for the quality you get. You should be able to buy three dozen Kirkland for every dozen ProV1 you sell.

New Pro V1/V1xs would make great gifts. Golf can be a very social game and playing that side successfully of it can be very rewarding.

New Pro V1/V1xs would make great gifts. Golf can be a very social game and playing that side successfully of it can be very rewarding.

Thank you for that suggestion. I am thinking exactly the same thing. Give Pro V1/V1x to my friends or colleagues as Christmas gifts.

The THP youtube video is demonstrated by a very good golfer. I don't think I will ever get there, considering my age 😢.

I am still losing about 8 balls per 18 holes. At the moment, I am playing with Costco Kirkland ball. I do play with "used" V1/V1x balls and honestly, I can not tell the difference between them, probably because of my skill level. I'll get the tour soft, quantity over quality for an amateur golfer, right?

Thanks again.

Given where it sounds like your game is I would take the 20 dozen Tour Softs and have fun with them. Don't over think it. It sounds like they will be fine for your game.

Sure you can, the feel is way different between those balls. I have played all 3 and the tour soft is a great ball for a slower swing speed person and still gives good performance, enough spin around the green to have stop quickly.

Thanks again.

That is a lot of lost golf balls for an 18.
Must have been a tough layout !

Take the Tour Soft for shear volume in this case and forget about gifting to your friends and colleague. They can afford their own golf ball and probably have their own favorite brand . At least you won't need to buy "used" Prov1 for awhile.

However, life is short and why not splurge once in awhile ? Especially when it's a gift and cost you nothing ? Either one would be a good choice for you.

I can. Feel is totally different. Tour Soft is the hardest feeling soft ball out there. I honestly would rather play a Supersoft or e6 than a Tour Soft.

I'd get Pro V1x for no other reason than I play Pro V1x.
Mostly with special ball number, name imprinted, no Sharpie needed.

But I'm with you, only more so.

I doubt if I could tell the difference between a 1978 Top Flite from my old bag of Spalding Executives and a new Wilson Staff Fifty Elite that I just bought for $12.98 a dozen at Walmart.

I just stay with one ball no matter what so that I'm not thinking about it.

It turns out that one of my colleagues in a different department also received the same gift card for exceptional performance, and he will give me the certificate in exchange for $200. Because of that, I am going to get 12 dozen Titleist ProV1/V1x golf balls and 20 dozen Titleist tour soft. As someone suggested, I will use the V1/V1x as a christmas gift for my friends and other golf colleagues. I'll use the tour soft for myself.

Back