Tournament Strategy

Matthew

Reaction score
Handicap
How would you play this tournament?

2 man team, pick your partner
9 holes are played from the tips, 9 are played from the men's tees. You get to pick which holes you play from where but before you tee off.
Handicaps/strokes are figured off the men's tees, not the tips. You get 9 strokes & your partner gets 12 strokes.

Do you play the tips for the 9 hardest holes or the others?

I'd play the tips on the holes they hurt the least. 470 yard par 4 might be a stretch, but a 180 yard par 3 is not as bad. A long par 5 where I'd be on the cusp of going for it in 2 is another candidate. If I feel like I can minimize the impact of playing the tips those are the holes I'd want to choose. Forced carries would definitely be a concern I kept in mind.

If the strokes are calculated from the mens tees and not the tips, why would you want to play the hardest holes from the tips?

generally speaking, I'd want to play the hardest holes from the shortest tees and let the strokes fall where they may

Without considering for forced layups, I would play the forward tees on the holes where you gain the most yardage moving up to those tees. Closer to the hole is generally better.

I think I would take all of the yardages I know I couldn't reach in 2 anyways if it was going to take 3 it'll still take 3 if I'm playing from the tips. I think using the par 3 from the tips like @hackitup said is a great strategy. I would also look to see the distance between the tips and the men's tee's. If it's only 20-30 yards that seems like a deal, if it's another 70 yards though I would be leary since that's quite a difference.

Tips -

Par 3
Ones with a short difference between tips and men's
Ones where I can't reach in 2 or 3 anyways.

I would need to see the scorecard to figure things out. Using my course as an example two of the lowest handicapped holes are par 5s. I can’t reach them in 2 from the white tees. Given that I would play the back tees for those and use that on a couple of other holes to gain an advantage. We have a couple of par 4s with traps to carry that I struggle to carry from the back tees but I can from the next set up so that makes a lot of sense.

Find the ones where there is not a big difference from tips to mens. Then look at hazards and landing spot to see if it is feasible from the tips as you go from 1 handicap to 18.

Back