UST Recoil 95 & 110's vs Aerotech Steelfiber

mts25

Reaction score
Handicap
I've hit he UST Recoils in those weights and really like them. They've taken some impact stress off my elbow and they feel very smooth and solid to me.

I'm potentially looking at a different set of irons and I can't get the Recoil's in those irons, but they do offer the Aerotech's. For those that have hit both, are they somewhat similar? Major difference?

I have steelfibers in 125 and just got sole recoil dart shafts in 105. Not an exact match but as soon as I can get them put together I will update you.

I have both the Steelfibers and the Recoil Proto's in 110, both in extra stiff and have played both in the same heads ( Apex TCBs ).

From my perception, I felt like the Steelfibers were stiffer throughout the shaft in XStiff compared to the Recoil Proto F5's with the Recoil's having a bit softer tip. The feel on the Steelfibers was good although harsher at impact than the recoils. Where I struggled with the Steelfibers was in consistent contact. I think because of the stiffness difference, they weren't lined up with my swing timing as the harder I swung them, the better they performed. But when I was swing at my perferred tempo and speed, the Recoils fit better and felt better. I think if I was to go back to try Steelfiber again I would either soft step them 2 steps or go with Stiff.

I switched back to the Recoil Proto's and I am happy with the decision. Can't wait to try out the Dart's though. That might be another good choice in the mix.

i'd make sure you know which steelfiber you're looking at. in my (limited) experience, steelfiber used to feel very stiff and difficult to load for someone with a smooth transition. then steelfiber came out with the fc model, and it went too far the other direction for what i like in feel. it felt like a wet noodle to me. recently i tried the private reserve, and it seemed like a nice blend between the two. not as harsh as the og and easier to load, but not too loose.

i'd make sure you know which steelfiber you're looking at. in my (limited) experience, steelfiber used to feel very stiff and difficult to load for someone with a smooth transition. then steelfiber came out with the fc model, and it went too far the other direction for what i like in feel. it felt like a wet noodle to me. recently i tried the private reserve, and it seemed like a nice blend between the two. not as harsh as the og and easier to load, but not too loose.
hmm, I wonder if that's why I feel like the Steelfibers are too stiff. I've really worked hard the last year to slow my transition down to be able to be more consistent and create some lag.

Good to know. I have a pretty slow, deliberate transition and really like the Recoils. The Aerotech's in question are the i95 stiffs. I may just wait until I can get those iron heads in the Recoil shafts I like.

Good to know. I have a pretty slow, deliberate transition and really like the Recoils. The Aerotech's in question are the i95 stiffs. I may just wait until I can get those iron heads in the Recoil shafts I like.

The original Aerotech in i95 play fairly stiff. If you have a slow transition, then R flex may work. I think the flight, feel and flex of the Recoil 95 are more in line as to what people expect from a shaft.

it would be great if you can find a way to test the steelfiber before you make the purchase, because based on what you're saying it sounds like recoil is the better option for you. side by side, the recoil and the steelfiber feel quite a bit different.

Literally just hit both of those shafts side-by-side trying to narrow down my shaft choice for a set of Mizuno Hot Metal Pros. Went with the Recoil F4, which was by far the best fitting shaft for me on the launch monitor (we'll see when they get here if that translates quickly to the range and course). Pretty quickly didn't get along with the 95g version of the Steelfiber graphite shaft - much more boardy by comparison and low spinning for me. Made quite a few solid swings with the Recoils and was even making OK contact at the end of the 90+ swings it took to test out about 6 shafts. YMMV. For my swing, the Recoils feel and load much more efficiently.

I have played the i95s a fair amount and the Recoil 95s a bit. I definitely feel like the i95s feel and to me play sitter in similar flexes. I like the feel of them. I felt the Recoils were a bit loose.

I have played the 95 gram versions in Recoils F3 Reg. (hardstepped), Aerotech Steelfibre F3 (regular), Smacwrap F4 Stiff (86 gm), MMT 95 Stiff & now playing the Aerotech 95 I95 in Stiff in my TCB’s.

All i can say is they are all excellent shafts and critical to get fit. Some people think the Steelfibres feel boardy but that is something I don’t find. For me the stiffness in the tip was very important to avoid over-drawing (hooking) the ball as that isone of my weaknesses. The Steelfibre & the MMT both were excellent for me in this regard. I never played the Recoil 95 in F4 (stiff) directly out of the box so hard to compare directly with the others.

If you can find a fitter or big box store that you can compare shafts, that would be my advice. Everyone is different. Good luck.

I’ve played both SF i95cw and Recoil 95 in regular (f3 for the recoils), as well as SF i110cw stiff.
I really like the results with the SF i95 Reg, although the Recoils might feel a little more lively.
I did find with the Recoils I load one perfectly now and then, and the ball would rocket 15yrds further than normal.
Thought it was the irons, but played them in another set and had the same thing happen. If I could do that every time it would be great!

Back