Utility Iron Vs. Long Irons

DataDude

I Hate LIV
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
Utility irons are generally pitched as a better players iron or a driving iron, but as they are increasingly being offered in 4 & 5 and sometimes even 6 irons they really don't fit this bill anymore. My question is are these clubs more forgiving than a typical set 4 iron and 5 iron? What is the comparison between a GI long iron vs a Utility iron in say a 4 or 5 iron. I assume that a hybrid is more forgiving than a utility iron, but what is the comparison like there? I guess if anyone could give me their experience with a utility 4 iron or 5 iron I would love to hear it. I really like my Titleist 818 H2 17* 2 hybrid so I am not looking for something that low lofted, but I have trouble hitting my 4 iron without hooking and thought I might replace that and/or my 5 iron with a utility iron.

It will really depend on the brand and line of clubs. You will see tech used such as hollow body, etc but that has stretched to irons as well.

I have fallen in love with my G400 Crossover 3 whatever it’s called hybrid/driving iron. It gets the ball up like a hybrid but I also can hit it low like an iron it’s an awesome club.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My question is are these clubs more forgiving than a typical set 4 iron and 5 iron? What is the comparison between a GI long iron vs a Utility iron in say a 4 or 5 iron.

I have Ping G 4-Crossover 21*. It launches longer, way higher and much more forgiving on mishits (direction and distance) than my 4 iron. I find it also anti-hook for me. I am also much more consistent with it than my old 4 Callaway Big Bertha Hybrid. Only negative is the sound and feel of a hollow body iron.

I just started this journey, research and a few bay sessions, recently. I feel comfortable hitting my 3i and 4i, but from a distance perspective they are the same, about 170 yds. I can't STAND hitting hybrids. I have tried for years and it's never been good for me. Way more confident over my long irons without a doubt. So far I'm liking the feel of the Ping Crossover 3. Lots of pop, great height/distance, and forgiving which is something I really need. I don't see myself replacing anything other than my 3i. Maybe the 4, but I feel pretty good about it at the moment.

At the end of the day, I think it comes down to just trying it out and gaming what works for you, regardless of what or who the club was designed for.

As I have posted on other threads, I am another happy user of the Ping G400 Crossover 3 iron. I also am much more comfortable with long irons than hybrids, so this has filled a big hole in my bag. It REALLY wants to go long and straight if you give it a chance.

As I have posted on other threads, I am another happy user of the Ping G400 Crossover 3 iron. I also am much more comfortable with long irons than hybrids, so this has filled a big hole in my bag. It REALLY wants to go long and straight if you give it a chance.

I have no doubt I will get one in my bag as soon as I can butter up the CFO. I was inches from offering to buy the demo at the store because they didn't have it in the flex I needed on the shelf.

Since purchasing the z565 irons, I've added a 4 iron and a u65 3. In my limited experience with both, I've had good and bad moments. The u65 has a hollow body, which does help to elevate the ball. But it's also longer, I believe, than the set 3 iron. I'm sticking with the 4 hybrid for now, but I may switch to the u65 once I become more used to the length.

Back