Wedge bounce - confusion with my 60* 588 DSG and 56* Watson

stylo

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I understand a little about bounce - mainly from what I read here http://www.golfbidder.co.uk/golf-advice/520/golf-club-bounce-angle-buyers-guide.html

Club on left - now the specs from my cleveland dsg rtg 60* lob is supposed to be 3* (per spec sheets found online)

Club on right - this is my watson 56* sand wedge with 12* bounce (written on the club)

When I put them side by side, it looks as though the watson has less bounce than the cleveland ... am i looking at this wrong ? Can someone explain ?

Guess what I need to do is chip from different heights of grass at the driving range and see which 'feels' better on what lies and that should really determine which has the higher bounce .. any tips and info appreciated.

wedges (Medium).jpg

wedges (Medium) - Copy.jpg

the club on the right has a lot more bounce. look how much more sole area there is, that is how bounce is determined

oh ok .. does that mean i have drawn my yellow lines (showing the bounce angle) wrong ? do i go from one end of the sole to the other ?

according to golfbidder, bounce angle is measured from leading edge to to point of the club which first touches the ground when laid flat which is how i have drawn my angles ... am even more confused now

Yes but these wedges are not on the ground.
The more bounce a club has when it is resting on the ground less surface area is actually on the ground, it's like it is resting on a more rounded surface.

your angles are measuring the lie of the club if anything, not the bounce. the angle of the toe (leading edge) to where the sole first touches the ground is how bounce is measured. bounce is accompanied by a wider sole as well, that's how I was able to determine the club on the right has more bounce without looking at it when it's at address and from a "worm cam"

i'm so lost right now ... the fact the clubs have different sole widths has me confused ...

the whole point of having high bounce is to cut through softer lies (sand, wet longer grass) without losing swing speed. having a wider sole makes it a lot easier to do & that is why the SW is typically the club with the highest bounce. compare your lowest lofted iron to your SW and you will see how much the toe hangs off the ground & how much wider the sole is on your SW - BOUNCE!

The angle you were measuring was the wrong angle plus you were holding the wedges on an angle when you measured that angle

hold the clubs as you would at address and have someone measure the angle with the ground/floor

the sand wedge definitely sits 'higher off' the ground at address ... and i know it has a higher bounce .. i can feel and see it at address.

seems like i shouldn't /can't compare the bounce on these two clubs because of the difference in the sole widths?

the reason i am asking is because I am interested in the newer cleveland wedges which have the bounce written on the clubs but they don't have the dynamic sole grind.

which makes it a bit hard to compare

Why does that make it harder to compare?
That is part of the bounce angle, look at your PW and compare it to your SW
The angle at which it sits off the ground is the bounce angle.

The angle you were measuring was the wrong angle plus you were holding the wedges on an angle when you measured that angle

hold the clubs as you would at address and have someone measure the angle with the ground/floor

ahha i noticed that ... but my reasoning is that the shafts are parallel to one another so the relative angles should be comparable.

the last sales assistant i asked had no idea .. hadn't even seen a dynamic sole grind before ...

majBC - you're saying to not use that photo to compare the bounce on the two clubs as it is not sitting flat on the ground ? if so, i'll have to do as you suggest and actually have someone stand up on a table and hold both clubs at address ... that's the only way i'll be able to understand and see which club has higher bounce.

In your measuring you extended the top line to far toward the back of the wedge (60*) well past where it would touch the ground thus giving a wrong angle.

if you would draw up the correct line for me, that would be awesome.

really appreciate the time you are taking to try to explain this to me !! i just want to get a replacement lob wedge with the same bounce LOL

just to the end of flange, you extended way to far to the other wedges end point.
I would just take the wedge in with me to compare and measure when purchasing a new wedge.
Actually I would not do that, I would just keep and use the old wedge if I liked it. I am experimenting with this set of irons where the wedges are part of the set. I got these in early December 2012 before that my two wedges 49* and 56* were 588 Gun Metal from Cleveland which I have been using since 1999 and still have and will probably go back to. So if the wedge is working and you like it I would suggest you use it till the grooves are worn out. just my .02.

Got it confirmed by Cleveland that this does indeed have 3* bounce BUT has various loft and bounce angles by opening and closing the wedge.

Happy with that.

If you don't mind me asking, why are you replacing your LW (60*) if it works so well for you?

Last edited:
i'm not replacing it .. just after more information on the club because I like it so much and want to know of an almost identical replacement should I need one.

just like with my fishing rods and reels, you always need that backup lol

http://www.drummondgolf.com.au/cleveland-588-forged-rtg-wedge-1.html

^ this is gonna have to do when the time comes .. 60/6

Back